Training with Josh Bryant

Btw, I take no offense at your comments . Because of my background I think I put thf brakes on sooner than many would. For ten years from 15-25 I stretched daily . And by daily I mean I might have missed five days in a year .

I also was only so successful as a kid. Class one on the old scale. I think you were probably masters level . I also had training gap times. This kept me fresher than some others , obvious advantages , believe me I drill the safety prehab/ rehab stuff in my kid’s head .

A lot of what you said makes a lot of sense Tom.

I remember talking with you on the phone for hours about various injury issues.

I totaled Class I in 5 different weight classes, and was only a few lbs, (literally like 10-20) from totaling master at 198, and did total master at 181 as an older teen(19).

I have not had many(none at all in fact) “breaks” from training.

can you PM me at your convenience and let me know a little more about Josh’s services?

thanks in advance.

Sure, also had shingles the same year as the gall bladder issue , followed by my worst lower back injury in twenty five years .

Sent you s message via facebook heavy .

Sounds like an Old folks home in here…LMAO…You are both strong MOFO’S but eventually father time catches up with all of us. I wish I were 20 again so I could do it right this time…

I think the best we can do is the best we can do…

Haha!!

[quote]Colin Wilson wrote:
Sounds like an Old folks home in here…LMAO…You are both strong MOFO’S but eventually father time catches up with all of us. I wish I were 20 again so I could do it right this time…

I think the best we can do is the best we can do…[/quote]

well said Colin.

Ssb squats went ok today . Last week I tweaked my left adductor . Had to stretch a lot the last two - three days . Lots of movement prep and careful warmups . He had me do work sets of 320,355 x 3. 315 x 3, three sets of speed sets.

285 x 5,5 Olympic squats paused . One leg dls , 55 x 4 , three sets

ghrs 4 sets 15, side bends three sets of ten 115 lb bar.

Plate twists 25 x 10,10,10

How long do you have his services/does this program run for? 12 weeks? 16? Month to month? Just wondering if he’s working you up to a peak or not. Also curious to see your son’s results in his next 3 lift meet and/or yours in your next DL meet, whenever those may be

Right now I have no meet planned . You can pm me and I can go into in more detail .

My main goal is getting over 600 in the deadlift .

We signed on for sixteen weeks . Usually he goes 12, but I wanted it longer . I’m assuming he’ll have me go for it after three months sometime . As for my son , he’s looking at the IPA raw nationals in august . Maybe we’ll find a meet in may someplace .

My son just came out of wrestling season where he had to cut to much weight IMO . He was down to 125 from a high of 142. He’s now weighing 154. He’s been very diligent with his eating and training . And seeing some nice progress .

He’s planning on lifting at 148 this year .

Crapped the bed today . 480 x 3, 525 x 1. No snap today and a lot of fatigue the rest of the workout . Funny thing, I woke up and felt great , weird . But this is what happens . Last week three I couldn’t move 390 on my last speed set, set ten.

515 x 3 raw last week was hard but easy . Thought this was in the bag today . Next week is a deload . The week after I’ll be fresh and nail it.

So far I noticed at the end of my third week I’m fried , even if I feel great . Deload comes and it feels like you’re fresh and strong .

After looking at the videos of the top two sets I realized my form was crap. Simple fix. I do beleive my crappy form was due to being tired but that’s why you deload.

As for Jr. he’s on a deload now. His weight is at 154 and lifts keep going up. He told me some funny stories about the gym at his mom’s house. One was about the guys and their BROners. A BROner is when you’re way to impressed by your bis and you BRO’s bis. Or tan or whatever.

Hence the term. He also nicknamed some guy Strappy McStrapalot. This fellow was trying to help him while he was doing JM presses. Strappy just got done doing smith machine benches while using straps to hold onto the bar. Guess he doesn’t believe in gravity.

He also told me about some guys who are 200+ pounds and their deadlifts. One guy failed on his 7th rep at 315, the other missed 405. these are big, ripped guys as he put it. I asked them if they were bigger than my 205 or so, and he said, yep a lot bigger.

They were stunned at watching him pull 305, 345 x 3, then ten sets of 4 with 300 with rests running about a minute twenty. They said we only do 3-4 sets etc. this was before some deficits and a few other exercises.

Hard work doesn’t kill you. It’s not like this stuff is coal mining in 1922.

This is actually some interesting stuff Tom. I have been doing some philosophisizing about volume in training, and I really think most lifters are just pussy’s when it comes time to put in the appropriate work and planning to get stronger. And that includes myself. Last few cycles I have been experimenting a little bit with waves of volume, and when and where to up the assistance level volume.

I’ve looked at Josh’s offerings too, also kinda interested in the stuff Brandon Lilly has going right now.

I think so Pete. I did crappy yesterday, but I could have fixed it by being more careful with my technique. I know fatigue played a part, but gutting out one more at least was in the cards with more care. Should have expected it though , I was getting some of the classic signs of overtraining .

But deloads will take care of that .

Pretty incredible stuff:

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?qid=140720&tid=

Neat story. Didn’t read that yet.

Well today was crappy . As in couldn’t do anything right crappy . But my appetite is coming back, I took the day off tomorrow and am going to see the Dropkick Murphys in Philly. My mind is already coming back to normal .

Deload week this past week, nothing to report about . Jr had week five this last week and did well. Next week he’ll be tripling a pr in the dl. Also squatting and benching prs for multiple reps.

His weight is around 154 now. He’s hoping to hit a meet later in the year at 148 raw . We’ll have to see about the weight .

forgot to thank you tom for sending me that info. I am going to email josh this week.

glad your training is going well, and your son is going to be a BEAST.

Thanks Heavy. He’s really eating the training up. It’s a lot for me, but I keep pushing. Tomorrow or Thursday is the start of week nine for me.