Training with Healing Rotator Cuff

I injured a ligament in my rotator cuff about 8 weeks ago, and it’s taking it’s time to heal.

I’ve been out of the gym since I tore it (which has been hell!), and my physio has given me the go-ahead to start training lightly, sans any pressing movements.

I’ve been running/squatting a lot, but I have no idea how I can effectively train with this injury.

Has anyone got any advice on what I can do?

What percentage tear is it? Complete tear? 50%? Or just a strain/minor tear? Did your physician say which rotator cuff muscle/tendon is injured? How long ago was the initial injury?

Assuming it was only a strain/minor tear, I would say just avoid specific shoulder movements that bother you for the time being. Should be fine to deadlift (may want to avoid heavy % of RM), squat, etc. If holding the bar during the back squat bothers you, use a SS Bar or if you don’t have a SS Bar, you can try place wrist wraps around the bar and grabbing it like you would a SS Bar (may not be able to use the same amount of weight, but remember you are still working around an injury).

Also, check out these 2 articles by Nick Tumminello that list ways to work around injuries.

1. Joint-Friendly Training - Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION

2. Three Work-Arounds for Physique Success
    Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION

Thanks mate. It was a relatively minor tear, but enough to keep me out of the gym.

I’ll go through those articles!