Training with Dumbbells

I eat similar to you in that I have minimal carbs. I’ve even spent a good portion of the year in Keto. I’d recommend having carbs before and after your workout. It will help with your workouts, especially considering what you’ve indicated about your job.

Also, it sounds like your intensity is there with your workouts. Someone else, stronger than me might chime in, but I’d have a main compound movement where I go heavy with 2-4 minute rest break. Then proceed to accessory movements that are higher intensity. This is all predicated on the goal being to improve strength.

My current routine looks something like this, where I do my heavy squat/DL/OHP work followed by very short rests on accessory movements.

1 Like

Yeah its pretty amazing what can be accomplished with just 3 square meals. We’re brainwashed into thinking we need 6000 calories a day and 8 meals.

I’m also a little guy, only 5’6" and 155-160, but even still. I am going to add some carbs, I actually did today and I feel pretty good.

Here’s my most recent picture, and I achieved that with almost no carbs since I started training a year ago.

I like using dumbbells when in hyper trophy cycles. When I am going for brute strength I need to bench press using the bar because once the dumbbells are over 100 pounds it’s a pain in the ass just to get into position. But dumbbells at 50 or 60 pounds for reps gives my chest a really good stretch as well as a work out.

It is also easier for me to do supersets with dumbbells, switching back and forth between chest and back on a bench, for example. I also see lots of people use dumbbells for assistance leg exercises like lunges and box squats.

As for your triceps, just google “triceps exercises” and you’ll find lots of alternatives.

1 Like