Training With Back Injury

Hi all, just asking for some advice.
First: the injury. Last week i was deadlifting - warmup weight, everything fine, then on the last rep i started thinking about my next set, lost concentration and rounded my back as i set the weight down - and pushed out a disc. Hence the importance of complete concentration on all reps when dealing with any weight, young kiddies.

So here I am with the prospect of 4weeks recovery time, with no weight loading down my spine, and no bending over with weight.

So I need a bit of advice re excersises, just to maintain my current physical condition.
After speaking with the physio, I should be able to pullup/chinup, dip, leg extension, use various machines (such as pek dek).
Any other suggestions people have that will allow me to work the larger muscle groups without stressing my back?
thanks,
ShaunW

What is the magic secret to recovering from a disc injury in 4 weeks??!?

[quote]andersons wrote:
What is the magic secret to recovering from a disc injury in 4 weeks??!? [/quote]

Yeah.I’d like to hear this as well.I just recently found out I have a bulging aka herniated disc at the L4-L5 region.When I asked the doctor how long it would take before I was back in the weight room, he kind of laughed and said, “Discs don’t repair themselves”.That was about 6 weeks ago in which time I have done plenty of rehab, but I can tell my back isn’t going to hold up to a heavy squat or deadlift.I’ve become real good at doing pull-ups though;)

ShaunW,
Sorry to hear about the back injury. Since disc injuries come in various shapes and sizes, what exercises you can do will really be dictated by the severity of your condition.

A lot will depend on what movements and activities provoke or aggravate your pain. Also, you need to be able to differentiate between productive pain and destructive pain. In many rehab programs, when you have had back pain, some of the exercises will produce pain, but they are not placing your body under a load that will further damage the injured tissue, whereas, certain movements that you do during the day may produce pain due to placing the back in a potentially damaging position.

If you want to PM me with more info regarding your condition andwhat the physio has you doing, I would be glad to try and help you out.

Take care,

Ryan

[quote]ShaunW wrote:
Hi all, just asking for some advice.
First: the injury. Last week i was deadlifting - warmup weight, everything fine, then on the last rep i started thinking about my next set, lost concentration and rounded my back as i set the weight down - and pushed out a disc. Hence the importance of complete concentration on all reps when dealing with any weight, young kiddies.

So here I am with the prospect of 4weeks recovery time, with no weight loading down my spine, and no bending over with weight.

So I need a bit of advice re excersises, just to maintain my current physical condition.
After speaking with the physio, I should be able to pullup/chinup, dip, leg extension, use various machines (such as pek dek).
Any other suggestions people have that will allow me to work the larger muscle groups without stressing my back?
thanks,
ShaunW
[/quote]

Hey Buddy,

Sorry about your injury that sucks big time!

I had a disc injury from a sporting accident and kept me from leg work for 2-3 months… But you’ll get your strength back fairly quicky, just give it time and recover…I visited a massage therpist in burnside and had a chiro help with hip alignment and spine health!

Did you end up buying any Biotest supplements from that Store?

My Alpha Male is going well, I’m completely happy with the results so far…

Stay Healthy and stay in touch

Alphaboy

i have a ‘hopefully’ minor lower back injury from doing squats last weekend. basically, i increased the weight too quickly, even though i could do at least 6 reps with that weight.
i think it stemmed from when i pulled a muscle down there when doing sprints on my bike a few months ago.

how do you know if its a only a muscle injury?

i am so tired of having these lower back problems, its so fustrating. i am staying away from back squats for a while. instead i will be doing numerous deadlifts to build up my lower back.

good thing single leg squats are easy on the back