Training with a Highly Demanding Job

[quote]Gamaan wrote:

[quote]The Plasterer wrote:
Hi guys, I’m planning on starting bodybuilding soon. I’ve been PLing for a while now and have achieved decent numbers, but my body is being beaten seriously on a daily basis from my daily job (construction worker)and I can’t eat properly throughout the day, unless I make something like 4 shakes to down during my short breaks.

I can’t squat or DL no more, since my lowerback is overworked during the day (no sh*t, I just cannot, and that piss me off, since I LOVE dLing), and I’m wondering if anyone is in the same case as I am, and how did you change your routine to give a break to your back, and still get decent gains even if you have a freakin high caloric expense during the day and you’re limited in compound movements.

My english sucks and I realize my sentences have a funky structure, but oh well…[/quote]

First thing; go to a hospital to get X-ray to ensure that your back is in a good condition, then when it’s all right use BCAA or l-glutamine,do some yoga (stretching exercises)+hot bath +rub your back with olive oil, take one week off, take it easy with you back, if your nutrition is good and you are not cheating your self with food, you will stay in a good shape (trust me) I have stopped working-out for 2 months, but my diet was good so the result was everyone thought I didnt stop working out.

Best Regards,[/quote]

Did so, and seems like a have an atypical bend in the spine and an hernia. Should be the source of the problem.

And yeah, I hang drywall sheets and bring 100-120 pounds buckets of mud up our 30-40 feet scaffold, I’m not just sligning mud on the walls, hehe. plus doing some jobs on the side, maybe 15-20 hours a week, or so.

I gotta try to find a way around my hernia, but I guess my spine’s curve can’t really be avoided.

And I made a mix of oatmeal, peanut butter and whey that I shoot with my meals. Killer stuff, adding 92g of protein a day.

And I never sugar anything… But gotta salt my stuff man…

What kind of bend? Like kyphosis, lordosis or scoliosis?

If it isn’t severe there are some simple things that can be done to shape things up and get it feeling better.

A slight scoliosis, but nothing dramatic, I’ve been told.

Interesting thread. This summer I head back to work on a farm, and that involves throwing lots and lots of hay. On a good week we may go 3-4 days in a row working 9 am to 9 at night and I might toss a total of 1500 bales a day. The past summer I was dealing with surgeries so I ran all the tractors instead of the grunt work, but this time I should/better be ready to go. It will be interesting to see how it affects my training and where I will have to cut back.

Def staying tuned to this thread to get some good ideas. I can say that shakes are helpful, I like to make a big 1000 calorie shake in the morning before work in case we work through lunch or eat late.

Make your own bars with cereals nuts butters whey you can really pack in a shit tonne of cals into them. Very simple to make.