Training with a Highly Demanding Job

Hi guys, I’m planning on starting bodybuilding soon. I’ve been PLing for a while now and have achieved decent numbers, but my body is being beaten seriously on a daily basis from my daily job (construction worker)and I can’t eat properly throughout the day, unless I make something like 4 shakes to down during my short breaks.

I can’t squat or DL no more, since my lowerback is overworked during the day (no sh*t, I just cannot, and that piss me off, since I LOVE dLing), and I’m wondering if anyone is in the same case as I am, and how did you change your routine to give a break to your back, and still get decent gains even if you have a freakin high caloric expense during the day and you’re limited in compound movements.

My english sucks and I realize my sentences have a funky structure, but oh well…

That can be a real challenge. Making the shakes is a good idea and I’ve done that with some success (not as a body builder but just general lifting/strength goals) and hitting the marks for daily caloric intake is huge.

There may be others here who have done more/better and would have better input, bit just figured I’d chime in to get the ball rolling.

What are some stats- Height, weight, current lifts, and goals?

Honestly, the best thing I can offer is that you can’t avoid using your back, so it’s best to just make your whole core as strong as possible by addressing any weak points and imbalances, recruitment and range of motion- then timing when you hit it at the point when you have had some rest but still have time to recover, like Saturday evening.

Reverse hypers are awesome if you have access to one. Not a classic body building thing (that I know of) but helped me out a great deal. Not a one size fits all recommendation though.

Yeah, I try to avoid useless stress on my lower back and tend to use more
machine than I did before.

I’m 6ft 195, 420 DL, 405 squat and 290 bench, 200ish MP. Not really impressive, but considering I’ve lost over 30 pounds over the last three months, that’s not bad.

I’ll give hypers a try, I used to do good mornings, but I guess I’ll just skip them. I’m already hitting my back on saturday.

I can’t get enough proteins or carb, obviously, but I’m doing my best, chugging down a dozen egg a day, since they’re cheap and fast to cook/eat.

I can’t risk to hurt my body anymore, so PLing is out of the way for now, and I clearly can’t eat enough to have gains, nor the energy. So I guess I’ll try and be a kinda athletic physic, 180 something. Don’t know, I lift for the kick of it, you know.

Diet is more important in bodybuilding than powerlifting, for your average joe. It’s awfully tough to keep a chicken breast and some broccoli in your jeans.

[quote]drewc64 wrote:
Diet is more important in bodybuilding than powerlifting, for your average joe. It’s awfully tough to keep a chicken breast and some broccoli in your jeans.[/quote]
Good thing neither of these is a necessity for bb’ing :slight_smile:

I guess, and I’ve been told a toolbox is not optimal to store/cook steaks and shakes.

How are they your current DL and squat numbers if you can’t DL or squat. You’re full of excuses. Man up.
Cook at night and take food in tupperware tubs. Increase time spent on your recovery. Find movements you
can do that hit the same muscles. If you’re actually a plasterer then wtf, I know 2 plasterers who both go gym and
eat enough.

[quote]SuperAlienFreak wrote:
How are they your current DL and squat numbers if you can’t DL or squat. You’re full of excuses. Man up.
Cook at night and take food in tupperware tubs. Increase time spent on your recovery. Find movements you
can do that hit the same muscles. If you’re actually a plasterer then wtf, I know 2 plasterers who both go gym and
eat enough.[/quote]

Please read my posts before commenting, and you should find a few numbers. I guess my lower back is prone to injuries and/or pain, and I won’t train to feel like shit the day after simply to “man up”.

Then again, I don’t have time to eat through the day, but the noon break. And having a family, and maybe you already know it, demands time. Excuses? I see no excuses, I explain that my back hurts, and I would be a moron to risk to injure myself simply to tell people I squat. And I train because I like it, I’m not a hardcore motherfudger, I have things to do. Well that’s just me.

Man you’re in luck, plasterers are great guys. Oh, and thanks for the help, much appreciated.

‘I cant get enough protein or carbs’ ‘I cant eat enough or have the energy’ ‘my breaks arent long enough’ ‘i cant store or cook in my tool box’…all I see is excuses. Yeah I saw your numbers, im impressed a guy who ‘cant dl or squat nomore’ can hit them.

You are lovely. Take this cookie and walk away.

If you can do shakes- I used to use a funnel with the nozzle end trimmed off so that it was just below the lip of the bottle (so that the powder doesn’t clog it) to fill 1 liter bottles- 2 scoops per bottle+whole milk. Keep them in an igloo cooler with another liter of frozen water and a couple of bananas and peaches, etc.

Get some Plazma/MAG-10/hydrolyzed whey. A lot of people also rave about humapro.

Also try this for one day of the weekend…

I am a landscape contractor, age 46.

A day of trenching, retaining walls or concrete and forget it I am not going to be sq or dl “that day”.

Honestly plaster isn’t shit compared, are you sure you do not have an injury?

I don’t have to eat all day. I do a big shake in the morning (I use a cup of heavy whipping cream and a scoop of protein 1000 cal right there), a good lunch (lunch box packed night before) and eat like a pig when I get home.

One thing that has really helped has been to do DeFranco Agile 8 every morning and stretching through out the day.

If by plasterer you mean that you spend time everyday handling big sheets of gypsom drywall (heavy shit), than, for sure your back is getting frikken worked.

Forgot to mention hammering down leucine is great if on a budget…

eat enough.[/quote]

I do agree :wink:
plus: stop salting or sugaring your food.

[quote]The Plasterer wrote:
Hi guys, I’m planning on starting bodybuilding soon. I’ve been PLing for a while now and have achieved decent numbers, but my body is being beaten seriously on a daily basis from my daily job (construction worker)and I can’t eat properly throughout the day, unless I make something like 4 shakes to down during my short breaks.

I can’t squat or DL no more, since my lowerback is overworked during the day (no sh*t, I just cannot, and that piss me off, since I LOVE dLing), and I’m wondering if anyone is in the same case as I am, and how did you change your routine to give a break to your back, and still get decent gains even if you have a freakin high caloric expense during the day and you’re limited in compound movements.

My english sucks and I realize my sentences have a funky structure, but oh well…[/quote]

First thing; go to a hospital to get X-ray to ensure that your back is in a good condition, then when it’s all right use BCAA or l-glutamine,do some yoga (stretching exercises)+hot bath +rub your back with olive oil, take one week off, take it easy with you back, if your nutrition is good and you are not cheating your self with food, you will stay in a good shape (trust me) I have stopped working-out for 2 months, but my diet was good so the result was everyone thought I didnt stop working out.

Best Regards,

[quote]Gamaan wrote:

eat enough.[/quote]

I do agree :wink:
plus: stop salting or sugaring your food. [/quote]

Stop salting and sugaring? Why even live.