Training With a Broken Hand

I recently just broke my left hand, and have 7 more weeks before I can do any pressing or pulling exercises. I just ordered a sled and safety squat bar, which should be here next week. Any help putting together a workout would be greatly appreciated!

[quote]rkelly281 wrote:
I recently just broke my left hand, and have 7 more weeks before I can do any pressing or pulling exercises. I just ordered a sled and safety squat bar, which should be here next week. Any help putting together a workout would be greatly appreciated![/quote]

A few years ago in Colorado, Alex (who was in the training videos with Daryl Gee when I trained him) tore his biceps. But I found a way to have him train his back without involving the arms, which would also work with a broken hand.

I used abs straps (photo included) and attached them to the lat pulldown (or seated row) machine instead of a straight bar. He put his elbows inside the loops and rested his hands on the upper portion of the straps and pulled that way, focusing on pulling the elbows down and back. Once you get the groove it actually hits the back better than regular pulldowns.

You can also attach them to the low pulleys in a cable cross-over station and do lateral raises , or lie down to do cable flies (straps around biceps).

I’m not a huge fan of isolation work, but this would at least allow you to maintain back, shoulders and chest size while recovering.

Another tool that would work great to maintain deadlift strength is the Spud deadlift strap.

Both pieces of equipment should be available at elitefts or rogue fitness.

So with a safety squat bar, abs straps, deadlift strap and sled you can do:

Squat
“Deadlift”
Safety squat goodmorning
Deadlift straps goodmorning
Lat pulldown
Seated row
Seated row machine face pull
Cable curl (with abs straps on low pulley)
Low pulley lateral raises
Cable flies
Cable cross-over
Backward sled pull in a half-squat knee angle (for quads)
Forward sled pull with straight legs - Frankenstein walk (for hams)

No excuses!

I would see a pull/push split:

PULL 1
Deadlift
Lat pulldown
Cable curl
Shrugs on standing calves machine
Forward sled drag

PUSH 1
Squat
Leg press or hack squat machine
Cable lateral raise
Cable flies
Backward drag

PULL 2
Goodmorning (safety squat or deadlift straps)
Seated row
Seated face pull
Forward sled drag

PUSH 2
Wide stance squat
Leg press or hack squat machine
Cable front raise
Cable cross-over
Backward drag

Note that personally I would not do the leg press/hack squat… I would just do more squats because I always preferred fewer exercises done for more sets and because of my leverage (short legs) I do not need anything but squats for my legs to grow optimally. If you have long legs the leg press and hack squat might help.

I actually see you being able to gain leg strength and size, add muscle to your back and maintain chest and shoulders size.

i wish i read this sooner!!!

im 8 weeks post op, have had the k-wires removed last week (i had a lower radial fracture approx 1.5cm up from my right wrist).

Doc says another 4 weeks before the bone completely heals, but have lost about 70% of the mobility in the wrist. Started physio now to work on the wrist joint.

But i basically sat still for the past 2 months…

Im still not sure how do do a proper squat (looked for a safety squat bar, but no luck in our gym), i guess im resigned do doing leg presses

What abou the deadlift with the straps? The pic looks like there would be a lot of strain on the neck?

Cheers
Thanks

what i meant is a proper squat without the use of my right hand…