Training While Injured

Hi everyone. I need some advice for how to exercise while I’m dealing with a lower back injury. The short version of my situation: I had an MRI done this week and it revealed an L4-L5 disc herniation with a free floating mass on the right side of the spine. My primary care doc referred me to a neurosurgeon that I’m seeing Monday and I saw a neurologist yesterday. So I’m in the process of finding out the best way to correct this. In the meantime, I’m just trying to find out if there is any kind of exercise I can do that will not worsen my condition. Not doing any exercise this week was frustrating and kinda depressing. I work out at home so my equipment is limited but the two main exercises I was wondering about were chins and dips. I assume neither put any pressure on the spine but you know what they say about assuming.

The last thing I to do is re-aggravate the nerve. So are these two exercises ok to perform for the time being or should I just nix exercise altogether? I’d REALLY appreciate any advice you guys can offer.

I’m all for training around injuries but, yours sounds pretty serious. There is no point risking doing any training that could damage you further and possibly put you out of action for longer, or worse for good. I know it’s hard but you’ll just have to be patient, get it sorted and then throw yourself back into serious training once you are better. Good luck.

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:
I’m all for training around injuries but, yours sounds pretty serious. There is no point risking doing any training that could damage you further and possibly put you out of action for longer, or worse for good. I know it’s hard but you’ll just have to be patient, get it sorted and then throw yourself back into serious training once you are better. Good luck.[/quote]
Yeah that’s kinda what I’ve been thinking. I guess I was just hoping to be told by anyone that just two exercises wouldn’t make it worse. But I suppose it would be best to be patient. Thanks.