Training While In Season?

Hey Coach, thanks for your time first off.

The Rugby pre-season for my school just began. I remember reading something about weight training while in a sport, and only training movements that do not effect what we are hitting in practice (Sprints mainly).

My question is, if im sprinting alot and condiitong, will power snatching not go well with what were doing in practice? we sprint 3-5 days a week. I wanted to at least stay as strong if not get stronger in push pressing, power snatching and paused squats. What’s your opinion on training in season?

Thanks coach.

[quote]Joeyc123 wrote:
Hey Coach, thanks for your time first off.

The Rugby pre-season for my school just began. I remember reading something about weight training while in a sport, and only training movements that do not effect what we are hitting in practice (Sprints mainly).

My question is, if im sprinting alot and condiitong, will power snatching not go well with what were doing in practice? we sprint 3-5 days a week. I wanted to at least stay as strong if not get stronger in push pressing, power snatching and paused squats. What’s your opinion on training in season?

Thanks coach.[/quote]

All my hockey players continue power cleaning and power snatching during the season… normally fairly low volume (3-4 work sets of 3 reps each per week) and they have to strive to maintain at least 90% of their strength throughout the whole season.

Hi CT,

Do your hockey players do much other lower body work during the season?
In terms of upper body do you still prefer quite a bit of volume or is this reduced as well?

[quote]antic wrote:
Hi CT,

Do your hockey players do much other lower body work during the season?
In terms of upper body do you still prefer quite a bit of volume or is this reduced as well?[/quote]

Hockey players play 80ish games a year (3-4 per week). So their legs are highly involved. They do some lower body work, but mostly for injury prevention. Upper body is trained a bit more. But again… when you are player 3-4 games a week… half of them away… you rarely can train hard very often during the week, maybe 2, 3 if lucky session a week.

Thanks for the response, so you feel I should drastically decrease the volume, but strive as hard as I can with getting the weights to stay high? How do you feel about push pressing? I’ve been doing that 4 times a week before pracitce for rugby began, I feel pretty solid at it and would like to keep doing it as much as possible. Do you think it would be detrimental to playing if I did it too much?