T Nation

Training While Exhausted


#1

I figured I would post it in here since I usually train like a powerlifter. I am needing some advice on how to be able to train while mentally and physically exhausted.

I have never had an issue lifting before with school and a busy schedule but this time I am having some difficulty..

Right now I am in EMT school which runs 9-5; Monday-Friday; for 5 weeks; and an exam on 4-7 chapters every two days. On top of that I am taking 4 online classes at my college. I wake up at 7 AM and on average with all the homework and studying I usually fall asleep as early as 1:30 AM and as late as 4. I usually have an hour or two of free time between class and when I start my homework.

My only problem is I am pretty burnt out during that time period and pretty much use it to relax and reboot. Caffeine or stimulant use is out because I am already on a pretty decent amount to stay awake as it is, and anymore my actually do harm since my blood pressure has been a tad high lately. It had as high as 160 over 98; but on average 140-148 over 90-95.

Any ideas on something else I could do would be greatly appreciated to help me keep lifting; It has already been a month. On a side note I do lift two days on the weekend.


#2

I tend not to give out advice… But If i was coaching you I would minimize the days you lift and your routine as much as possible. I defiantly sounds you have allot on your plate and are under allot of stress. Which in the long run will hamper your recovery and progress.Here are a few articles that might help.



#3

Drop your training down to maintenance levels until you’re done with EMT school. Try a two days a week, short session program. There are a couple of articles on this website covering that approach.

\https://www.T-Nation.com/workouts/2-times-a-week-for-twice-the-gains


#4

[quote]MarkKO wrote:
Drop your training down to maintenance levels until you’re done with EMT school. Try a two days a week, short session program. There are a couple of articles on this website covering that approach.

\https://www.T-Nation.com/workouts/2-times-a-week-for-twice-the-gains

https://www.T-Nation.com/training/effective-training-for-busy-men[/quote]
Um pretty much what I said with the same links…isnt it?


#5

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:

[quote]MarkKO wrote:
Drop your training down to maintenance levels until you’re done with EMT school. Try a two days a week, short session program. There are a couple of articles on this website covering that approach.

\https://www.T-Nation.com/workouts/2-times-a-week-for-twice-the-gains

https://www.T-Nation.com/training/effective-training-for-busy-men[/quote]
Um pretty much what I said with the same links…isnt it?[/quote]

Yes, yes it is. Facepalm.


#6

I think you should probably train as little as possible without losing any strength. After EMT school, pick back up where you left off.


:smiley:


#7

[quote]MarkKO wrote:

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:

[quote]MarkKO wrote:
Drop your training down to maintenance levels until you’re done with EMT school. Try a two days a week, short session program. There are a couple of articles on this website covering that approach.

\https://www.T-Nation.com/workouts/2-times-a-week-for-twice-the-gains

https://www.T-Nation.com/training/effective-training-for-busy-men[/quote]
Um pretty much what I said with the same links…isnt it?[/quote]

Yes, yes it is. Facepalm. [/quote]
:wink:


#8

There’s also another Dan John article(ccant track a link down) about yearly scheduling. He uses green, Amber, red light as his metaphor. Nothing ground breaking or not obvious but it should explain some stuff for you.


#9

I’m glad you posted this thread - I’m in the same boat as you and need to find something to keep me trying to move forward. I’m working long hours in training and will be doing so until early November. I just don’t have the time to eat enough to gain. I’m looking for something quick and easy to keep the strenghth that I’ve built


#10

Sorry I haven’t been able to respond yet, I had a busier weekend than expected. I haven’t been able to look at the articles yes but I get the general consensus is to lift less and rest more and you are all right. I sometimes miss the obvious and don’t factor in the fact that my body has limits. Thank you all for the responses, I will be able to post later!


#11

So I partially found out my problem. I got admitted into the hospital yesterday for diabetic ketons with a pulse of 140. After about 2 hours there I got extremely disoriented and my condition started to deteriorate rapidly. Apparently I was going into DKA (diabetic keto acidosis) and was maybe a hair length away from a coma.


#12

[quote]kjmont wrote:
So I partially found out my problem. I got admitted into the hospital yesterday for diabetic ketons with a pulse of 140. After about 2 hours there I got extremely disoriented and my condition started to deteriorate rapidly. Apparently I was going into DKA (diabetic keto acidosis) and was maybe a hair length away from a coma. [/quote]

Well it’s good to hear you got help. Hopefully things get better.


#13

Gonna have to go lighter. Do less.

Maybe sit down and define some immediate goals with your physical activity. Maybe pick one main thing and focus on it, while just maintaining others. Then rotate them as the focus say every 3 months…ect…