Training w/ Depression, Anxiety, PTSD

[quote]forbes wrote:
hey, since i got you guys on here, ive got two Q’s:

1). does anybody know any good deadlift variation where you have to start off with light weight (ex, single leg deadlift). i only have limited amount of weight plates at home, and i can deadlift with all the weight plates on the bar. i need a new “hip dominant” exercise to progress in.[/quote]

Some ideas here . . .

Select the forum then look up to the top right corner for the icon labeled “post.”

[quote]forbes wrote:
hey, since i got you guys on here, ive got two Q’s:

1). does anybody know any good deadlift variation where you have to start off with light weight (ex, single leg deadlift). i only have limited amount of weight plates at home, and i can deadlift with all the weight plates on the bar. i need a new “hip dominant” exercise to progress in.

2). does anybody know how to start a new forum topic?[/quote]

I’d say the closest exercise to a single leg deadlift that doesn’t deal with balance issues is step ups. Just make sure you are putting your whole foot on whatever you are stepping up on emphasize full hip extension at the top of the lift. can be done with a barbell or dumbbells quite easily.

Also you can play with tempo a bit to progress with limited amounts of weight. RDLs with fast concentrics for example.

As far as the OP goes, I’d agree with the fish oil suggestion, make sure your diet is in check. Other than that all that I can offer is to read a good, uplifting book. I’d recommend "The Alchemist’ by Paulo Coehlo.

A very close friend of mine and I have both been through pyschological hell. He and another anxiety ridden friend of ours take turns taking care of each other. On a day I was particularly anxious and depressed, my friend told me he thinks people such as are beautiful. We live with our eyes open.

We see things we weren’t meant to see, we explore places where no one can ever go, even if those things and places are only created and limited by ourselves. Whenever I am on the verge of mania, that is what I think of. I am capable. I not like everyone else. I am beautiful.

Find friends who will feel you but who won’t feel bad for you. Be as damn depressed and anxious as you feel, but don’t expect anyone to slow down for you. And never do anything you don’t want to do, not for a single day in your life. If you want to increase your lifts, you’ve come to the right place.

If it really doesn’t matter to you anymore, then fucking forget it. Things are only valuable if you make them so.

Training has gotten me through the worst of times. You have no idea how many times I’d cry all the way to the gym because something had just gone down. I trained after 9 hours of moving when my dad and I left my mom, I trained the days my father has been hospitalized, the day I found out my mom has cancer all over her body, the day I stabbed myself with my keys during a fit, through terrible fucking break-ups, arrests, funerals, and just plain days that shit everywhere.

I think you know what to do to get your lifts higher. Do what you were doing before. Take some fish oil, don’t take ephedrine, try to sleep, and work really fucking hard like you always have, and we’ll help you fill the cracks in between as well as we can.

During my bouts with depression I used to sped days getting my self together just to do laundry, go to my part time work or similar things.
Could go a full day before eating, because I couldn’t get my ass out the room.

Here is what worked for me, take what may benefit you:

St Johns wort, a herbal antidepressant. I only had moderate/mild depression, so it might not work for you. Here on this site they now push Rhodiola Rosea. Many report more mellow mood, and the research on this herb helping you handle mental stress is pretty good.

Vitamins minerals:
Hit up high doses of esp vitamin b! Stress will burn them up, killing your appetite and mental performance. What a lifesaver eating vitman b was. Suddenly my memory improved from one day to another.

Training:
Instinctive baby. Just watch the volume! Pushing vomule to high and overreaching will worsen your mood. I would go to the gym and only do what I felt like. This actually led to very productive and focused workouts. Only I would go volume crazy if i didn’t stop myself. The release when I was only training for fun, made me push it that much harder.

Hopefully some of these pointers will help you out :slight_smile:
Getting over things like this, will only make you richer and stronger.

i been dealing with anxiety ,and problems sleeping , things are better with sleep , i get around 7-8 hours of sleep but before i used to wake up every 20 mins got to sleep wake up this had been going on off and on since april.

i found myself training 2-3 times a week cause of anxiety and lack of sleep which sucks . i got to the point i thought i was dying and having a heart attack when i got a panic attack.what helps me is diet,sleep,and training , if i can nail the first two things down training doesnt mess with my mood.

know chemically what ever is going on with me is going to make me have that dettached feeling from time to time , the thing is not to feed into it and go about your buisness , not just get througth an attack but know you’er gonna feel “diffrent” from time to time and then shut it down.

Be thankful you can lift. As someone who hasn’t really been able to work out since June 2006 it angers me reading your post.

How bad do you really want to keep your strength? Taking time off is not necessarily a bad thing.

Everyone has their own problems to deal with, but only you can fix your own. At the end of the day you need to be able to count on yourself.

In psych the other day my teacher said one of the measures of happiness is optimism. Ever since that day I’ve tried to be more optimistic and it has actually helped.

A previous poster also said do not let a label affect you. I completely agree with this. You create a self-fulfilling prophecy when you think a label is going to affect every facet of your life.

You are not alone man. Everyone has been depressed at one time or another.

[quote]Kreal7 wrote:
Be thankful you can lift. As someone who hasn’t really been able to work out since June 2006 it angers me reading your post.

How bad do you really want to keep your strength? Taking time off is not necessarily a bad thing.

Everyone has their own problems to deal with, but only you can fix your own. At the end of the day you need to be able to count on yourself.

In psych the other day my teacher said one of the measures of happiness is optimism. Ever since that day I’ve tried to be more optimistic and it has actually helped.

A previous poster also said do not let a label affect you. I completely agree with this. You create a self-fulfilling prophecy when you think a label is going to affect every facet of your life.

You are not alone man. Everyone has been depressed at one time or another.[/quote]

Agreed. There is a Bible verse that says “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he - Proverbs” That is what happens to everybody, and that is true. For the longest of time, I thought of myself as a failure. I was constantly thinking about me regrets and what I could have done in my childhood to better myself as an adult. Because of it, it made me severely depressed. I thought of myself as a failure, and so I became one. As soon as my thoughts became positive and I forgot about my past, things changed…for the better! I’ve NEVER been better in my life!

[quote]forbes wrote:
Kreal7 wrote:

You are not alone man. Everyone has been depressed at one time or another.

Agreed. There is a Bible verse that says “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he - Proverbs” That is what happens to everybody, and that is true. For the longest of time, I thought of myself as a failure. I was constantly thinking about me regrets and what I could have done in my childhood to better myself as an adult. Because of it, it made me severely depressed. I thought of ,yself as a failure, and so I became one. As soon as my thoughts became positive and I forgot about my past, things changed…for the better! I’ve NEVER been better in my life!
[/quote]

Hence The Law of Atraction in the movie The Secret.

or here: - YouTube

It might seem a bit difficult to understand at first.

Cheers.