Training Volume

Just got back from my second training session of the day and have been mulling over a few questions and wanted T-Nation’s opinion.

This week I decided to do 7 days straight 2-a-days (45 minute sessions). I worked whatever bodypart was least sore and ate a crap ton. Most people I tell this too freak out, scream overtraining and tell me I need to cut the volume at least in half.

Now…I’m trying as hard as I can to monitor my body, I’m training hard, eating harder (4000-4500 cal/day) and I don’t possess any of the typical signs of “overtraining” (depressed, moody, tired etc.).

Am I kidding myself and running myself into the ground? or can I keep up a similar routine so long as I carefully monitor my recovery? Opinions please.

Oh and I’m only 18 (and I’ve heard young people have scary good recovery abilities), and have a training age of about 9 months.

Deadlift 320
Squat 275
Bench 190

Thanks

you will make 0 progress using this routine.Even chemically enhanced bodybuilders dont do this.Your body grows when you are resting, not training.Your cortisol levels will rise very high, suppressing test and growth hormone production, causing a decrease in strength and muscle mass, and possible fat gain.

My weight is up 2-3 pounds this week and I hit a deadlift PR as well :confused:

And usually I can sort of “feel” cortisol affecting my mood. I don’t have that feeling at all right now, although I would not be suprised if I did later at all.

You just said that you feel fine and are making progress in the gym.

What does this tell you about your current program?

DUH!

Just curious why are you following such a program?

[quote]steel_12 wrote:
you will make 0 progress using this routine.Even chemically enhanced bodybuilders dont do this.Your body grows when you are resting, not training.Your cortisol levels will rise very high, suppressing test and growth hormone production, causing a decrease in strength and muscle mass, and possible fat gain.[/quote]

I hope you’re not serious. 2-a-days are used by lots people–usuallly for only a short time though.

To the OP: if you feel like you are overtraining, take a full week (or more) off and then switch to something else, you’ll probably come back bigger and stronger from what I hear.

If you’re gaining right now, why stop? I don’t understand why people tell others to stop something when it’s clearly working. Do a search function for some 2-a-day programs here on this site to compare what you’re doing with what is recommended.

[quote]bulldogtor wrote:
steel_12 wrote:
you will make 0 progress using this routine.Even chemically enhanced bodybuilders dont do this.Your body grows when you are resting, not training.Your cortisol levels will rise very high, suppressing test and growth hormone production, causing a decrease in strength and muscle mass, and possible fat gain.

I hope you’re not serious. 2-a-days are used by lots people–usuallly for only a short time though.

To the OP: if you feel like you are overtraining, take a full week (or more) off and then switch to something else, you’ll probably come back bigger and stronger from what I hear.

If you’re gaining right now, why stop? I don’t understand why people tell others to stop something when it’s clearly working. Do a search function for some 2-a-day programs here on this site to compare what you’re doing with what is recommended.[/quote]

2-a-days are used. 2-a-days, 7-days a week are not used by anyone.

They are apparently used by this guy, and he’s saying it is working for him.

I’m not really sure why mr. 185lbs-after-4-years-of-“training” is giving out advice to anyone on how the best way to train is, but I’m afraid you might be stuck inside a very limited mindset.

The fastest way to build muscle is to progress in the load used as much as possible, as often as possible while staying within the limitations of one’s own recovery abilities.

In other words, if you can do this and truly monitor your recovery appropriately, ride it out as far as it will take you.

Just remember to let your progress dictate the way you train, rather than being a slave to a specific training scheme.

Thanks Everyone. I’ll keep going and see I guess.

Olympic lifters often train 6 days a week and in some cases multiple times during the day. It’s a mistake to think one can’t grow at any point during a day that has training in that day.

Agreed, so long as you are getting good results, why not ride it till there is reason to believe from declining gains or signs of overtraining (that you’re already wisely on the lookout for) that changing up may improve things.

But, just as a tweak, dropping to 6 days a week could be a good or very good idea and certainly won’t mess things up for you.

[quote]steel_12 wrote:
bulldogtor wrote:
steel_12 wrote:

If you’re gaining right now, why stop? I don’t understand why people tell others to stop something when it’s clearly working. Do a search function for some 2-a-day programs here on this site to compare what you’re doing with what is recommended.

2-a-days are used. 2-a-days, 7-days a week are not used by anyone.[/quote]

ur stupid, everything works, for a while. as long as he feels good this will work but he will have to take time off, u obviously haven’t been around training enough if u’ve never heard of this type of training before, it’s called planned overtraining. you run urself till u feel like shit, then back off for a week or so. it’s great for plateaus. don’t give out advice anymore, plz

for example: Science and Practice of Strength Training
written by vladimir m. zatsiorsky and william j. kraemer

you only have to go to page 12 to get an explanation of the overloading microcycle scenario, a version of the supercompensation theory.

basic training knowledge right there.

I do understand this theory receives scrutiny, but only because its hard to tailor it perfectly to athletes if they do not know themselves and their recovery well enough so they might take too long of a rest after the planned overtraining phase, but it works.

Interesting training. Not even pro bb’s train 7 days a week, well some might but not that I have seen.

Maybe doing a 6 day schedule might be good to give your body, not just your muscles some rest. Either way, at least your eating heaps.

[quote]steel_12 wrote:
2-a-days are used. 2-a-days, 7-days a week are not used by anyone.[/quote]

Yoink! The truly hardcore seem to use it, and yes they gain fat, lose muscle and get depressed. Then they take a week off, use a test. booster and the gains they make are fucking massive.

[quote]mr popular wrote:

I’m not really sure why mr. 185lbs-after-4-years-of-“training” is giving out advice to anyone on how the best way to train is, but I’m afraid you might be stuck inside a very limited mindset.

The fastest way to build muscle is to progress in the load used as much as possible, as often as possible while staying within the limitations of one’s own recovery abilities.

In other words, if you can do this and truly monitor your recovery appropriately, ride it out as far as it will take you.

Just remember to let your progress dictate the way you train, rather than being a slave to a specific training scheme.[/quote]

i might be only 194 pounds, but i benchpress 315 for 2, squat 370, and deadlift 400, probably more than what you dream of ever lifting. And i did try training twice per day for 5 times a week, in the beginning.This method sucks. i was speaking out of personal experience.I think if you do not respect other peoples opinions, you are the one with a very limited mindset.Retarded, most likely.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
steel_12 wrote:
bulldogtor wrote:
steel_12 wrote:

ur stupid, everything works, for a while. as long as he feels good this will work but he will have to take time off, u obviously haven’t been around training enough if u’ve never heard of this type of training before, it’s called planned overtraining. you run urself till u feel like shit, then back off for a week or so. it’s great for plateaus. don’t give out advice anymore, plz[/quote]

I have been training 4.5 years, and have tried something similar before. If the op finds it works for him, then fine, let him continue with it.I found it didnt work for me, and i have seen a lot of people lose muscle size doing this type of training.So keep your retarded comments for yourself please and go lift your pink dumbells

[quote]steel_12 wrote:
mr popular wrote:

Just remember to let your progress dictate the way you train, rather than being a slave to a specific training scheme.

i might be only 194 pounds, but i benchpress 315 for 2, squat 370, and deadlift 400, probably more than what you dream of ever lifting. And i did try training twice per day for 5 times a week, in the beginning.This method sucks. i was speaking out of personal experience.I think if you do not respect other peoples opinions, you are the one with a very limited mindset.Retarded, most likely.
[/quote]

A) Good work with those numbers, but:

B) That is not exactly something that others “dream of ever lifting”. I’m sorry man, but that comment of yours was a little over the top. Many reach those numbers fairly early in their training career.

C) This is bodybuilding, we don’t really care about people’s 1-3 rep strength. What can you lift for 8-10 ? Lifting this 1-3 times doesn’t make you big.

You presented your opinion before just as harshly as he did, you should not be surprised at his answer.

Not that I’m knocking you here, just clarifying things…

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
steel_12 wrote:
mr popular wrote:

A) Good work with those numbers, but:

B) That is not exactly something that others “dream of ever lifting”. I’m sorry man, but that comment of yours was a little over the top. Many reach those numbers fairly early in their training career.

C) This is bodybuilding, we don’t really care about people’s 1-3 rep strength. What can you lift for 8-10 ? Lifting this 1-3 times doesn’t make you big.

You presented your opinion before just as harshly as he did, you should not be surprised at his answer.

Not that I’m knocking you here, just clarifying things… [/quote]
A) Thank you, I appreciate it.
B)I am sure these numbers are not what you strive for, you have been training for quite a while, and i am sure your aim is much higher.I was directing my comments on the hater, who probably cant even unrack 315.
C)1-3 rep ranges have their use in bodybuilding,especially in power movements like the benchpress, but i can do 245 for 8 reps, if that is relevant.

Although i presented my opinion harshly, I didnt flame anyone elses opinion, i was just stating my own.

[quote]steel_12 wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
steel_12 wrote:
bulldogtor wrote:
steel_12 wrote:

ur stupid, everything works, for a while. as long as he feels good this will work but he will have to take time off, u obviously haven’t been around training enough if u’ve never heard of this type of training before, it’s called planned overtraining. you run urself till u feel like shit, then back off for a week or so. it’s great for plateaus. don’t give out advice anymore, plz

I have been training 4.5 years, and have tried something similar before. If the op finds it works for him, then fine, let him continue with it.I found it didnt work for me, and i have seen a lot of people lose muscle size doing this type of training.So keep your retarded comments for yourself please and go lift your pink dumbells
[/quote]

lol, retarded, and don’t think that everyone that disagrees with you must be weaker than you, you’re not that great. im not saying that JUST to put you down, but im also hoping you can put yourself in perspective with the rest of the weightlifting world and the people that actually are great. You can shoot for the sky as long as you remember you gotta keep your feet grounded