Training Volume for Carb Tolerance

As an independent college student, I currently can’t afford to consume more than ~2500 kcal a day without eating carb heavy. I’m also not very carb tolerant(determined through OGTT).
Strained by Engineering calculus and heavy hours I cannot be that hypocaloric and maintain my school and work responsibilities.

Ironically enough, since I work at a gym, I have 1 hour a day or 30 min twice a day I can assign, if necessary, to training.
I’m considering augmenting my intake from:

100g fat, 250g protein, 150g carbs, 2500 kcal

to:

110g fat, 250g protein, 250g carbs, 3000 kcal(maintenance)

Will an increase in training volume over time(6 months)make up for this increase in carbohydrates and still allow me to lose body fat and improve body composition?

These new budgetary shortfalls have put me in a difficult position.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you dont provide much of an information here , however.

there many articles consider carbs esp form John Berardi.

try eat the majority of carbs early morning or after training.

Since your low on budget you obviously gonna eat high glycemic , high insulin index carbs like pasta or rice and so on so not too many veggies.

Still try eat whole rice or pasta when posible. I would prefer eating potatoes or sweet potatoes than rice or pasta since they are vegetables short of with around -4 alcaline index.

if you can afford fish oils take them , it owuld really help you with carb absorbation as well. Aslo it will provide you with omega 3 fatty acids that you will need , since your diet consists of mostly omega 6

too many simple carbs along will get you fat but that you know , what u might not know is that along with meat will get u a high acid diet which can lead in many problems in the future.

Try move as much as you can and of course prefer weight training that helps carb absorbation.

Weight training also uses glucose as main energy , so it will use some carb storage.
Since your main goal is not to be fat either heavy volume body splits or full body programs will work.

good luck and i hope your budget to improve soon

A lot of people do pretty good on zone type diets, which is not in accordance with Berardi’s principles.

So, I think if you are eating good carbs, mainly veggies, oats, and some fruits maybe even a little bread and pasta and training hard you will see body composition changes for the better.

Another thing to try is carb cycling, and just not eat as many carbs on your off days.

I think you’ll be fine but the only way to find out is to give it a try.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
How can you not eat more than 2500 cal without adding carbs? How expensive is a jar of mayo where you live? Nuts, nut butter, olive oil,whole eggs are extremely calorically dense. You only need a little to make a big caloric dent. [/quote]

I can spend 5-6 dollars a day for food. If I ate nothing but nuts, eggs, milk then I could accomplish ~3300 Kcal.

If I add in a little veggies, meat, then It drops down to ~2300.

I do, ironically, have access to Surge. I had recommended it to a friend. So, he bought 6 tubs to get free shipping(before it was always free) and donated 5 to me when he decided he didn’t want to train hard enough to “earn the carbs”.

Ground beef is pretty cheap man. Cheaper than nuts for sure. And for anyone on a budget, eggs should make up a pretty big portion of their calories. I’m talking at least a dozen a day.

Frozen ground turkey (not 99% lean) is cheap, tasty, and effective.

Ground beef and other cheap meats are full of fat.

Too much carbs are not good for anyone , but i would prefer eat rice , pasta or potatos anyday than ground beef with 50-60% calories form bad fat.

its way healthier and you gonna look a lot leaner

Since theres a lot of discussion about our evolution nutritional habits , humans didnt eat too much rice and such but the meats they ate were max 10-20% fats not like todays 50-60% or more.

Also humans have the capacity to absorb carbs anyway , you just need to move or train and in general been very active.

yes of course because insulin resistance will be way better for you than some evil animal protein

reducing carbs promotes leanness, not reducing fats

let me guess you think butter promotes heart disease

I’m consuming mostly mono and polyunsatured fats from the nuts as well as omega-3 from canned pink salmon(~$1.5/lb), so I’m not too worried about adding saturated fats.

This is what i’ve worked out so far:

Breakfast:
8 oz milk
3 oz meat(ground beef or turkey or chicken breast)
2 eggs

21F/14C/40P 400kcal

Snack:
Homemade bar from Berardi article w/whey instead of Metabolic Drive.

22F/6C/32P 350kcal

Meal 2,3,6 combined:

6 oz veggies
1 can(14.75oz) pink salmon
2 eggs
3 oz nuts

3 meal total: 88F/17C/114P 1300kcal

PWO: 3 scoops Surge (root beer)
0F/75C/46P 480kcal

PWO2(1 hour later):
3 oz meat
4 oz potato
1/2 apple

4F/30C/22P 240kcal

PWO3(3 hours after training)
3 oz meat
1 serving brown rice
1/2 apple

5F/26C/26P 250kcal

Grand Totals: in grams
P/C/F
280/170/140
SFat/Pfat/Mfat/omega 3/Fiber
56/82/111/7/38

Total kcal ~3000

This comes to around $50 a week. This is still above my abilities right now but I think I’ll be able to handle it for 4-6 weeks and then I should be able to increase the carb intake by 50g replacing the snack bars with rice or potato added to breakfast. I should be more carb tolerant by then since I’m going to be training 6 days a week and eating 170g.

Edit:I’ll be consuming 121g carbs in the “training window” and less than 50g in the morning and the final meal of the day.

[quote]cyph31 wrote:
yes of course because insulin resistance will be way better for you than some evil animal protein

let me guess you think butter promotes heart disease[/quote]

Um reduce carbs promotes leanness ? Maybe if you were eating 60-70% carbs and siting all day.

In fact for the ones who do not eat so much carbs , carbs actually promotes muscle mass because the body uses the protein for muscle building than energy consuption.

Im not an advocate of eating too much carbs , but consider everycarb as bad hting is simply ridiculus.

If you think that by eating 50% of ur diet as fats is a good thing be my guest obviously your do not know the health problems that follow a high fat diet especially fats coming form bad meats.

bodybuilders like arnold and such kept lean with carb diets , way higher carb diets than today , obviously there more than cut carbs and replace them with any kind of fats.

Can you tell us all these disadvantages of a high fat diet ? and don’t mention heart disease or high cholesterol because that has already been proven wrong

As for high carb diets do you believe that the million and millions of people sitting in an office or white collar job where they CAN’T remain active for hours really deserve all that blood sugar ? hasn’t north america already proven that for the vast majority of those with sedentary careers a high carb diet will just lead to more misery ?

[quote]topoulo wrote:
cyph31 wrote:

let me guess you think butter promotes heart disease

Um reduce carbs promotes leanness ? Maybe if you were eating 60-70% carbs and siting all day.

In fact for the ones who do not eat so much carbs , carbs actually promotes muscle mass because the body uses the protein for muscle building than energy consuption.

Im not an advocate of eating too much carbs , but consider everycarb as bad hting is simply ridiculus.

If you think that by eating 50% of ur diet as fats is a good thing be my guest obviously your do not know the health problems that follow a high fat diet especially fats coming form bad meats.

bodybuilders like arnold and such kept lean with carb diets , way higher carb diets than today , obviously there more than cut carbs and replace them with any kind of fats.[/quote]

Search the Anabolic thread and look at some of the post diet blood test results…then come back and say sorry.

OP: try and do what i do.
Try canned meats and fish ($0.99 each) and buy some nuts in bulk. Maybe pork rinds (they are about 40/60 : p/f) and cost round 0.99 as well but give you around 350 cals a bag
Then just buy spinach in bulk in the big 10 oz bags or mix veg bags etc.(solid nutritional profile and minimal carbs)

If all else fails.

One big can EVOO, whey supp with fish oil