T Nation

Training Using CW's Total Reps

Hello all,

I just read some of Chad's articles on training using total reps instead of a set rep/set scheme. It looks interesting to me and I tried it out on Monday. However, I did not find in my brief readings how much rest to put between sets. Here's what I did. 

A1)DB Rows
A2)1 Arm Shoulder Press
Waited 90 seconds between A1 and A2

B1)Weighted Dips
B2)Chin Ups

C1)Deadlift
C2)Squat
Waited 120 seconds between A1 and A2

In the above example, if it is not clear, I waited between each set of each exercise. I guess it comes down to two questions

1. Do I wait between paired exercises or jump right from one to the next and then rest.
  2. How long should each rest be?

Thanks!

JF

[quote]Jesus_Freak wrote:
Hello all,

I just read some of Chad's articles on training using total reps instead of a set rep/set scheme. It looks interesting to me and I tried it out on Monday. However, I did not find in my brief readings how much rest to put between sets. Here's what I did. 

A1)DB Rows
A2)1 Arm Shoulder Press

B1)Weighted Dips
B2)Chin Ups

C1)Deadlift
C2)Squat
Waited 120 seconds between A1 and A2

In the above example, if it is not clear, I waited between each set of each exercise. I guess it comes down to two questions

1. Do I wait between paired exercises or jump right from one to the next and then rest.
  2. How long should each rest be?

Thanks!

JF[/quote]

It depends.

The way CW does it in most of his articles is to “pair” exercises. That means do a set of one, rest, do a set of the other, rest, repeat. “Supersetting” on the other hand involves doing one exercise and then immediately doing the other.

Also, as far as rest goes, there are several factors involved. Generally the heavier the weight (meaning less reps per set/greater % of 1RM) the more rest is taken. The lighter the weight (meaning more reps per set/lesser % of 1RM) the less rest is taken.

But once again it depends on the workout format, goals, etc…