Training Too Often

I train

Tuesday- chest
Wednesday - back + biceps
Thursday - shoulders + triceps + legs

Then repeat threw to Sunday and have Monday off and as a cheat day. I train 45 minutes a day. I dont need cardio because I’m so active away from the gym ( my only form of transport is my mountain bike)
Is this a good program base or am I doing too much because a lot of people tell me to do one muscle group per week ?

Thanks.

“Training TOO often” “then repeat THROUGH sunday”

And no, it’s not too much. If you’re recovering its fine. I personally would put shoulders and triceps on the chest day, but whatever.

It’s only too much if you’re not eating and sleeping enough.

Legs absolutely need their own day. I would put an off day between shoulders/triceps and before you hit chest again,

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
I would put an off day between shoulders/triceps and before you hit chest again,[/quote]

This. You’re hitting shoulders pretty hard 4 times a week. I know from personal experience that’s a BAD idea. I think chest/shoulders, back/biceps, legs would be a better split. And don’t neglect your rear delts.

[quote]jayjayjay wrote:

Thursday - shoulders + triceps + legs

[/quote]

Woahh… unless (a) you’re in the gym for 2 hours or (b) you’re not doing enough leg work, this sounds like a bad idea. Definitely agree that legs need their own day, and you could easily slide shoulders/tris to the chest day, especially if you’re then repeating it 3 days later.

jayjayjay wrote: “Is this a good program base…?”

If it’s working!

Is it? If so, for how long?

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the advice. I’m going to change my workout around a bit as most of you have suggested. I’m new to working out, last year I started for the first time in April. I went from 73 kilos / 18% bf to 64 kilos / 12 % bf by August and I was lifting a little bit more weights every week. I stayed like that till September and then out of the blue got an inguinal hernia and then I had to stop because of doctors orders. I intended to bulk up but was cut short. I’ve had my op and I’m just starting to lift what I was last year before my hernia happened. So I’m on the same track but this September I’m going for it. Does this seem like a good plan, thanks for all your help.

[quote]jayjayjay wrote:
Does this seem like a good plan?[/quote]

You didn’t provide your revised plan.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]jayjayjay wrote:

You didn’t provide your revised plan. [/quote]

New plan :

Monday day off
Tuesday. chest + shoulders + triceps
Wednesday. Back + biceps
Thursday. Legs.

Then repeat through to Sunday but I’m thinking mix the chest exercises up from the Tuesday and the Friday because their are so many to do .
I’ve never done legs before so I’m looking into what can be done with the equipment I have , dumb bells and barbell .

[quote]jayjayjay wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]jayjayjay wrote:

You didn’t provide your revised plan. [/quote]

New plan :

Monday day off
Tuesday. chest + shoulders + triceps
Wednesday. Back + biceps
Thursday. Legs.

Then repeat through to Sunday but I’m thinking mix the chest exercises up from the Tuesday and the Friday because their are so many to do .
I’ve never done legs before so I’m looking into what can be done with the equipment I have , dumb bells and barbell . [/quote]

squats, front squat, box squats, goblet squats (dbs), split squats, deadlifts, deficit deadlifts, rack pulls, stiff leg deadlifts, romainian deadlifts, lunges, reverse lunges

and all kinds of olympic lifts, if you’re into that

You don’t need a lot of different chest exercises. Pick 3 or 4 and do them hard and heavy.

[quote]CrushKillDestroy wrote:
You don’t need a lot of different chest exercises. Pick 3 or 4 and do them hard and heavy. [/quote]

Thanks. I’m on it. I’m thinking Tuesday : db press flat / incline , bench press flat plus shoulder press , front raises and shrugs. And then Friday : db flyes flat / incline , bench press incline plus shoulder press , front db row and front raises .

Moving my post to the Beginners forum. Apologies for posting in this thread.

[quote]CrushKillDestroy wrote:
You don’t need a lot of different chest exercises. Pick 3 or 4 and do them hard and heavy. [/quote]

Actually, at his stage, he’ll benefit from ONE or TWO done twice per week.

Jay: Can you provide your height and weight and numbers of your core, staple lifts?

That can determine what you need.

At your stage you do not need a full blown split and will be far better off with an upper-lower or A-B split or full body routine; getting some respectable numbers in dips, bench press variations, overhead press variations, deadlifts, squats, chinups and pullups, and rows; using other lifts that help drive those lifts up; and ignoring everything else (for some time)!

Some here will disagree with me, but until you can put up 250 for the bench for a few reps, 315 for squats and deadlifts, 50+ pounds on your waist for dips, and 185 pounds for barbell rows, then forget 3, 4, or 5 way splits and liberal use of isolation and machine exercises!

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Jay: Can you provide your height and weight and numbers of your core, staple lifts?

That can determine what you need.

At your stage you do not need a full blown split and will be far better off with an upper-lower or A-B split or full body routine; getting some respectable numbers in dips, bench press variations, overhead press variations, deadlifts, squats, chinups and pullups, and rows; using other lifts that help drive those lifts up; and ignoring everything else (for some time)!

Some here will disagree with me, but until you can put up 250 for the bench for a few reps, 315 for squats and deadlifts, 50+ pounds on your waist for dips, and 185 pounds for barbell rows, then forget 3, 4, or 5 way splits and liberal use of isolation and machine exercises![/quote]

I’m 175 cms tall. 68 kilos. 17% bf.
Bench press 60 kilos max
Shoulder press 16 kilos max each db
Curls 14 kilos max each db

Not a lot but I’m starting out and have the motivation to do more !!

I don’t mean to be a dick, but when you list a curl max as one of your “core, staple lifts”, and there’s no squat or deadlift listed you’re doing it wrong. Fix that or you’ll regret it later.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
I don’t mean to be a dick, but when you list a curl max as one of your “core, staple lifts”, and there’s no squat or deadlift listed you’re doing it wrong. Fix that or you’ll regret it later.[/quote]

Good post. When someone lists that as a core lift, you know they’re “in a bad spot”, as we say.

So in our system, you weigh a buck-fifty at 5’10", bench 132 pounds, and overhead press 35 pound dumbbells. You’re thin and your strength level is very low. This makes you a beginner’s beginner!

PLEASE: Do yourself a favor: don’t mess around with 3 way splits, 6 days of training per week, multiple sets per muscle group, and isolation and machine exercises.

1. Find any tried-and-trusted cookie-cutter program: HST, 5x5, Bill Starr, Starting Strength, Lyle McDonald’s beginner and intermediate bulking routines, Casey Butt’s beginner series, or any other rational program for beginners) or make your own rational program or hire someone to do this for you.
  2. Do whatever you must to get your bench up to 1.5 x bodyweight, squat up to 2 x, and deadlift to 2.25.
  3. Go on a solid diet with no tricks (carb rotating or some other esoteric stuff).
  4. Ignore almost everything else as long as you see progress! (Please read this one several times until it sinks in!)