Training to Maintain Muscle and Strength While Losing Fat

I don’t see how you can say that if you’ve never experienced the benefits that accompany the oily discharges. That’s terribly close-minded of you, and it is why I was curious to hear the OP’s thoughts on it.

Speaking for myself, I would probably try steroids first. If those didn’t work and I was getting really desperate, I’d swing for the fences and give the leaky asshole pill a shot.

ehhhh, I dunno. One time? Playboy model for one night and you’ll wake up to soiled sheets?

I’d probably go for it, to be honest. I can buy more sheets.

Haha, you guys crack me up!

To clarify a few things:

Of course I’m trying to eat clean as well. Salads and lean protein all the time. The supplements are just something extra. I have also found that they help me play a mind game with myself: “I paid for the supplements I’m taking, so I may as well have my nutrition in order too, to get the full effect.”

Chitosan: I don’t take that much of it. What I personally experience now and then are really loose stools. No oily asshole or “surprise exports” in the middle of the night, thank God!

Thanks for the responses!

Hi @TheHardgainer
I see your thread contains lots of great advices from the good ol’ vets of t nation say @T3hPwnisher @dagill2 @MarkKO @Yogi1 @twojarslave @Chris_Colucci , even more than the scope of your original question. I’m also currently in the body recomp mode, so I’ll also like to partook and share my thoughts specifically about the question of yours that [quote=“TheHardgainer, post:1, topic:219715”]
Why waste our energy and willpower on training “full throttle”, without gaining anything from it?
[/quote]

When going for general fatloss like trying to get into lower double digits or upper single digit fat percentage using a sensible diet plan, you aren’t in such a restricted state that it is impossible to gain strength or improve performance. Infact my n=1 experiments tell me that you can certainly get stronger during such fat loss journeys. Your strength may take a hit when you cut a few too many carbs due to loss of fullness and leverage disadvantage especially in upper body pushing exercises but you’ll continue to progress in various rep ranges and may get eventually stronger by the end of fat loss.
For example, I’m using a type of block periodization for my main lifts, and supplement it with accessory movements depending upon the week points. At a point, I had to cut a good chunk of my carbs and calories to get my fatloss bandwagon moving forward as I got irritated to not get any measurable changes after a few weeks which resulted into my workout performance spiral down thus making me further anxious. My first thought was to cut down all the supplemental work and just focus on the main movements to just maintain my strength but for some reason I decided to push along. I changed my rep ranges in the accessories and kept following the same program, and after a couple weeks of patience my performance started to improve further and a few weeks later I hit a PR on Shoulder Press as well as Snatch High Pull (uploaded in the PR thread).

Also when trying to get below the upper single digit fat percentage, again I’m convinced that focusing on performance is the way to go again from my n=1 experiment on my younger cousin who wanted to get into modelling and all other stuff kids are trying to get into these days. I guided him to focus on performance of the main lifts and even designed a program for him to get along. Though his focus was only upper body, he made substantial overall progress and in about six months totally transformed himself. I’m actually proud of his achievements and may post his pics in the protege thread of @Yogi1 if it interests anyone.

The whole premise is for guys trying to drop really low in % BF asy for the stage for guys that arent “on” as a way to preserve lean muscle mass during very caloric intake. Since the body is more incline to burn muscle tissue as a fuel source. Basic concept… you keep training as close too the style a person one was doing that built the muscle tissue in the first place. The prime hope being that the body will hold off burning the tissue as a fuel source,