Training to Failure

[quote]DoIEvenLift wrote:
Why do we do it? Why are two sets of five reps at 50 lbs not as efficient as one set of ten reps at 50 lbs? From the research I’ve done there’s basically no reason. Muscle fiber recruitment has shown to be highest in the middle reps of a set, so why not stop there and get that benefit twice? It would also be sufficiently less stress on the CNS.

Looking forward to responses! Asked a personal trainer at my gym why, and he said that’s what makes the muscle grow. I just want to know why it would induce hypertrophy more efficiently, if it is true. It’s so widely taught that no one questions it. Even training 2 reps short of failure from what I’ve researched is sort of futile, you might as well stop a little earlier leaving up to five reps in the tank, and just do another set.

Looking forward to some interesting responses, thanks guys![/quote]

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison. 2 sets of 5 is a lot less effort than 1 set of 10 with the same weight. It would be better to compare 2 things that are closer to the same effort. That would mean comparing doing 1 set of 10 to 3 or 4 sets of 5 at the same weight. I personally have better results with more sets and more total work in the second case.

I can do more work and be recovered sooner that way.

So I think the conclusion I’ve come to is that yes the 2 sets of five thing could work but only if I make sure to not forget about working for the pump one day. Is this reasonable? Also: I adore sled work, but the gym I go to does not have one. The only one in rochester is Gold’s gym I believe unless I go to a crossfit place, and being 17 without a super good job, Gold’s is far enough away that gas + another membership would take quite the toll on my finances.

I own a little anytime, so we can only use a sled in the summer, but there’s other ways to do recovery work, and ways to down play the negative stroke, plyo’s, bands, just ways to get the pump, without the damage, and speed recovery. Not really relavent to the thread, but I had mentioned it earlier
( easy on the anytime jokes, it was a way to own my own gym)

Going to failure really not necessary…

One set of ten would fatigue my next set much more than two sets of five would. I don’t think it would be effective to split it in half, plus there is no endorphin rush or any real pump. I know some weight lifters and power lifters train this way but I find it boring. I always let the weight determine the reps rather than the other way around. Just my two cents…