Training to Failure...

Bill - did I strike a bad chord with you or something? Let it go, man!

Some people don’t like your posts. In the thread you started some other members admitted they skipped your posts for reasons similar to mine. Big deal! Not everyone will like your posts! Shit, I wouldn’t be surprised if half the people on this site thought I was a douchebag!

I didn’t even think about that little tiff we had a few months back. It wasn’t even an afterthought! No need to hold some weird e-grudge and bring back the charts and graphs you apparently use in your workout routines. I don’t like to use charts and graphs to lift weights.

Damn, I mean, I even went a couple months without posting to come back and find out you apparently still have a hard on for me.

But, apparently, you do help some members of the site, so regardless of how little help I find your posts to be, you’re helping others so I’m still glad your around. Let’s just keep it civil and drop it already!

Does that sound like a plan or what?

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Shit, I wouldn’t be surprised if half the people on this site thought I was a douchebag![/quote]

Hate to break it to ya, buddy, but you’re pretty much the poster boy for douche.

That being said, the oddly random escalation seen in this thread was pretty funny. While Bill might think that LM not replying to his posts is to the benefit of everyone else - to save much nonsense, of course - from where I’m sitting, the nonsense has pretty much been traveling one way down the street.

This thread should have ended with Bantam’s comment, or been continued solely with the addition of funny cat pictures.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
Why does special concern about “CNS fatigue” even register in people’s minds anyway? They’re willing to trash their muscles, bones, joints, cardiovascular system, etc. in the gym, but are paranoid about overworking their CNS?

[/quote]
VERY GOOD POINT!
Pavel Tsatouline was the first person I heard talking about training/priming the central nervous system, and I’m sure I read Dave Tate say that your spine is your CNS ( it would make sense wanting to preserve it as you only get one spinal column and trashing it is not a good idea)

To improve cardiovascular fitness you have to work very hard to stay within your ‘target heart range’ though I wouldn’t call this ‘trashing’ your heart /cardiovascular system (I wouldn’t want to work my heart to failure anyway) I don’t see how this is trashing the heart. The joints will be stressed I suppose though I don’t know any one who intentionally ‘trashes’ their joints in the gym, the same I suppose goes for the CNS, why would anyone intentionally ‘trash’ something if its detrimental to their gains? people may intentionally ‘trash’ (and by trash I take it you mean train to failure? their muscles because they believe its productive for building bigger muscles, joints may suffer along the way, hopefully not though especially if correct technique is used.
My understanding is that training to failure will stress the CNS and prolong recovery, for example 4 sets of curls to failure will not stress the CNS, but training squats and deadlift’s to failure will, I always try and follow Pavel’s advice and leave a couple of reps in the ‘bank’ this also helps me prevent re injuring my back and allows me to recover more quickly from my workouts. Maxing out on these lifts (which have heavy back involvement, so what Dave Tate said makes sense) always takes me much longer to recover (up to a week, I can remember Ken Leistner saying the same in his life in the loft series)from heavy high rep squats to max or close. I always found no extra benefit to training like this as opposed to leaving a couple of reps in the bank e.g 5 sets of 4 instead of 1 set of 20) as I couldn’t train as frequently would be sore for days and feel pretty, well ‘trashed’
This is just my understanding anyway, and what works for me, but why would i do what works for some one else?

Well, I come into work this morning and find out my post was a thread killer. Didn’t know I was ringing the fight bell. : )

Bill, sorry for striking the bad cord, I had no idea of the history.

Lanky, thanks for the compliment.

And by the way, if you guys ever do kiss and make up, pics or GTFO.

Edit: no homo

No worry at all. It’s not a bad chord. It’s a practical thing, not a personal thing, and simply a mutual decision a while back that every time, nothing resulted but futility.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I push every set (other than warm ups) to failure. Usually it amounts to 2 sets per exercise that I’m pushing to failure. I don’t even care what anyone else says, to me, that’s part of weightlifting. [/quote]

I agree, I also train to failure on all my sets. With that said, I read Bill Roberts post on the different types of “failure” and think the individual has to decide when the set is over. I personally stop when I can’t do another rep without having to change my form that I used on the previous reps. I agree that it is taxing on the body but I compensate by doing less volume. I don’t think that is the best way to increase pure strength but I think it helps with size gains. Everyone has to find a balance with all the variables that are available and find what works for them.

[quote]anonym wrote:
picture[/quote]

Lol, THIS is why I’m glad I never post my face in any pictures.

And suffice to say I disagree with your opinion of my douchiness. :wink: