Training to Failure is Pointless

That lady has some huge stones hanging below her skirt :thinking:

Not gonna lie though. She is pretty cute.

3 Likes

It was either her or Eddie Hall.

Obviously, she won.

1 Like

I’ve seen his programs. They are the sort of split routines I used for years. Perhaps it doesn’t have to do with my age only. It’s that now I have two young kids, other things I want to do, a home, events, etc. I do not live the sort of single, apartment-dwelling life I once did in which I could with for 8 or 9 hours, and spend 90 minutes in a gym afterwards, go home, and then it all ends. Nor do I want to do a leg session with squats included, only to feel wrecked while at the beach or park with my fam, or have to garden or do yard work in the blazing heat after. All this stuff adds up. So those high frequency, high volume routines with spine-compressing exercises are over.

2 Likes

Let’s be honest @SkyzykS my man

The Scottish style of working out is by far the best out there

5 Likes

It is pretty awesome. :+1:

“Pick up that log and throw it as far as you can.”.

"But I can’t even lift it. :tired_face: ".

“Then you have failed.”.

Everything depends on your goals. If you are after strength only and don’t care about physique (how you look like in the mirror), go ahead and train like fatso students of Mark Rippetoe or in some similar fashion as depicted in the pictures you posted. I don’t need to prove anything, especially in relation to how much I press, squat or throw. By the way, Fred Hatfield (Dr. Squat) wanted to convince Arthur Jones that he has had fast-twitch fibers in his quads, which apparently was not the case and they showed up to be slow-twitch. You can’t change genetics, but you can improve using proper tools and methods.

We are all different in terms of nutrition as much as, if not more, as in terms of training. What’s your somatotype (in % of ecto, meso, endo)? I found that certain somatotypes react better to low carb diet. Next, I don’t advocate eating extra for muscle growth: there is a lot of evidence (including in many of Dr. Darden’s books) that body can utilize fat in order to grow muscle tissue. I never added muscles on calorie/protein surplus: only water or fat tissue, and I am very skinny by nature. However, with proper / unusual training stimulus, my body was able to grow literally overnight with reduced food or no extra, at least. Again, all people are different.

Actually, I did train at an Olympic lifting gym with a whole bunch of other very strong people who got results.

You don’t know a whole lot about his actual work history or credentials, do you?

Also, good on you. You got me to defend Rippeto.

Edit:

images

Honestly following a low carb high protein diet is for me at the moment impossible, or very difficult. But anyway I think that once you have enough calories building muscle or not building muscle depends entirely on training.

Agree with everything you said here and enjoy the pictures, but Arthur Jones did actually produce 2 really good strength coaches in Dan Riley and Kim Wood. Lots of different ways to get jacked and strong. For the record, I think Wood and Riley improved Jones’ formula. Especially for training professional football players.

The Brutality of Mountain Dog Training is one of my favorite books on training. John was a great man that was taken from us too soon.

2 Likes

Please re-read my post to understand what I have said.

I don’t remember seeing any students of Rippetoe showing impressive bodies and lean physiques at the same time. And when I will be 65 or so, I don’t want to look like Rippetoe - that’s why I train differently.

Many guys who trusted him like Zach Evetts ended up fat as hell. Honestly the routines don’t look too bad, except for too much squatting and low reps imo, the problem is Gomad

If the picture you posted is of Mark Rippetoe in his prime, then why did he lose all of his muscles & definition and replaced it with lard? Those guys who train naturally never lose muscle (at least to such a degree) even when not eating enough or not training for a long time. Probably, he just has had a magic elixir those days, hasn’t he?

1 Like

More excuses.

Oh, he’s not natty!

Neither were the Metzers, dude.

Did either of them even live long enough to get fat?

Gomad is the way to go

Of course. None of the bodybuilders from 1930s and after were drug free. Surprise, surprise…

NO bodybuilders after the 30s were natural? You sound like you’ve consumed the extreme black pill. I would be with you if you said 60s in regards to professional bodybuilding, but 30s-Mid 50s, I feel pretty comfortable saying most of those guys were probably natural.

5 Likes

Well now. You’ve created a conundrum here.

Because if this:

Applies to you,

Then it also applies to the person pictured, in reference to Rippetoe.

Do you see the analogy there?

@SkyzykS Well if someone says that you should do things in a certain way to reach a goal and you do it exactly as told you but you end up getting jacksh*t out of it, it probably means that you actually did something wrong, like not praying enough to god at night. Please god give me a pair of shredded 16 inch arms, that’s all I ask.