Training 'til Depressed & Growth

[quote]Dark_Knight wrote:
scottiscool wrote:
migrantworker wrote:

So, in response to the OP, I did train until depressed and I did grow, and I don’t really want to do it again. ha

This was my thoughts, results in the short term but is it worth it? Why would someone willingly do this to themselves?

Something that should be kept in mind is that one need not literally “train until depressed.” You could train to the point of accumulated fatigue, then back off and still get great gains. The point is not about pounding the shit out of your system, it is to give a “concentrated dose” of training (if you will), such that supercompensation occurs at a more rapid rate than normal.

Take a look at the chart from Thibs. As you can see, there are several points at which one could halt training to induce supercompensation. Certain programs would put one further down the line, with higher levels of strain placed on the system, thus necessitating a longer recovery.

Clearly, one could manipulate this such that the fatigue and strain are not so great as to make one totally feel like shit - just to make one feel more fatigued than normal.

[/quote]

Exactly what I had in mind the whole time I read this thread. I have know done 2 whole cycles of two week overcompensation, and I have had great results without going down much in strenght, for example nearly 20 pounds in deadlift in 3 weeks. While you could say my training is far from intensive.

Althought I`m still quite new to this the results have been better than with “normal” training. And, with the sheer volume and frequency you are bound to have some kind of results. I have doing lots of overhead pressing now to get that overhead strenght up, I have been doing this every day, 8-10 sets of dumbell press.

Believe it or not, althought the fatigue is accumulating, I am still, at 6th day, going up in strength. I started with 82, today I did 93. I`m more than happy after 6 months of going nowhere.

I’ve done a slightly modified version of Poliquin’s super-accumulation program twice, both with great results. For me, the first few days were the hardest, getting used to the extra volume and dealing with soreness. After that, I actually hit a stride and the workouts beacame easier. Sure, I felt like plastered dog shit when I wasn’t training, but in the gym I was a warrior.

During my second go, I added a lot of foam roller work which helped considerably with the aches and pains. Training this way is certainly not for everyone, but if you love a good challenge, have a solid work capacity and aren’t afraid to push yourself, drug-like gains (albeit for a very short time) can be experienced.

[quote]irongutted wrote:
But if the OP is really willing to give it a run, all my support to him, and keep us informed of your experience if you can.[/quote]

I agree. Far be it for us to tell him what he can and can’t try. And should he receive truly earth shattering results (like the coaches who hype this type of training promise) then I for one will be happy for him. And heck, if by that time he truly has blown away the results that my program has given me, then maybe I’ll give it a go.

But, until that time comes though I’m sticking to good old tried and true one factor theory.

[quote]Wrah wrote:

Exactly what I had in mind the whole time I read this thread. I have know done 2 whole cycles of two week overcompensation, and I have had great results without going down much in strenght, for example nearly 20 pounds in deadlift in 3 weeks. While you could say my training is far from intensive.

Althought I`m still quite new to this the results have been better than with “normal” training. And, with the sheer volume and frequency you are bound to have some kind of results. I have doing lots of overhead pressing now to get that overhead strenght up, I have been doing this every day, 8-10 sets of dumbell press.

Believe it or not, althought the fatigue is accumulating, I am still, at 6th day, going up in strength. I started with 82, today I did 93. I`m more than happy after 6 months of going nowhere. [/quote]

I think that’s great that you’re getting results.

But, just to give you some perspective, every one of my lifts has gone up by 20 lbs (save 1) in the last approximately 3 weeks. My deadlift (and rack deadlift) has gone up 50 lbs. And I’m not using a “planned over training” program. I’m using good old one factor theory.

Oh, and my training is very intensive.

Good training,

Sentoguy

Yes, well there’s obviously more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. I think experimenting with a variety of methods and doing what works for you is obviously the best approach. Throw yourself a curve now and then and you’ll most likely be happy with the results- will also keep things interesting in the gym!

I duno what the deal is with the .25 to .5lbs natural a week. That number seems low to me. Iv been able to consistently put on 5lbs a month without looking fatter.