Training Through Soreness

Hi,

I am curious as to what others think about the idea of lifting while still sore.

I am currently trying to cut some of the fat I put on through a bad bulk before trying to gain weight again. I am cutting using CT’s destroying fat plan.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1499282

With his program it has you doing some heavy training days, sprints, steady state cardio, and circuit training.

The problem I am running into is that I am always sore from my heavy lifting days when it comes around to the circuit training days…which hit the same sore muscles.

So I suspect that it is not a problem to train the same sore muscles again as CT seems to have made the plan with that in mind…but what does everyone think?

i find that i dont get sore at all
IF i keep training every other day or two days. i think that if you keep the weight lifting up the soreness vanishes after two sessions, if i dont train for a week, the first time back i get really sore, esp in pecs and hams.

how long does you soreness last?
make sure its sorenees and not damage

You can lift while still sore, but that’s counterproductive. The goal is to lift as many times as possible after the muscle has completely recovered from the previous workout.

That’s how you make progress. You try to lift more progressively. If you’re still sore, then I doubt you’re gonna lift more than you did last time on fresh muscles.

[quote]Artem wrote:
You can lift while still sore, but that’s counterproductive. The goal is to lift as many times as possible after the muscle has completely recovered from the previous workout. That’s how you make progress.

You try to lift more progressively. If you’re still sore, then I doubt you’re gonna lift more than you did last time on fresh muscles.[/quote]

Not in this case. CT’s a pro and knows what he’s doing.

So, I wouldn’t be too concerned with the soreness unless it gets much worse, or you’re new/returning to lifting.

if you stick with the program as written your body will become more used to the stress and the soreness should lessen. remember this is a fat loss program, not a program for setting new PR’s everytime you go to the gym.

[quote]Artem wrote:
You can lift while still sore, but that’s counterproductive. The goal is to lift as many times as possible after the muscle has completely recovered from the previous workout.

That’s how you make progress. You try to lift more progressively. If you’re still sore, then I doubt you’re gonna lift more than you did last time on fresh muscles.[/quote]

In this case, it’s alright, it’s a program designed for fat loss, it doesn’t matter as much, since the goal is different.

Good deal,

Thanks everyone

[quote]Artem wrote:

That’s how you make progress. You try to lift more progressively. If you’re still sore, then I doubt you’re gonna lift more than you did last time on fresh muscles.[/quote]

Stupid

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Artem wrote:

That’s how you make progress. You try to lift more progressively. If you’re still sore, then I doubt you’re gonna lift more than you did last time on fresh muscles.

In this case, it’s alright, it’s a program designed for fat loss, it doesn’t matter as much, since the goal is different.[/quote]
Oh my bad. I’m not familiar with the program.

[quote]Player wrote:
Artem wrote:

Stupid[/quote]

why was his post stupid?

[quote]Player wrote:
Artem wrote:

Stupid[/quote]

Hes actually pretty much spot on, so idk what you’re talking about. There is obviously an exception when fat loss is the goal, but when building muscle and bulking, thats pretty much exactly what I do.

Soreness doesn’t mean in any way that your muscle has not recovered, besides he said it WILL BE COUNTERPRODUCTIVE, I am not sure you know but no type of lifting is counterproductive. Whenever there is muscle damage there is potential for growth. Besides, Olympic lifters train the same movement about 5 times a week. You can even train a muscle in straight days if you GIVE TIME TO RECOVER AFTERWARDS… Anyways, stupid is a bit of a strong word so ill just fix it for: “not quite accurate”.

If my goal is hypertrophy I try to make sure I am completely recovered ( no soreness). It just works better that way, but I see what you mean.

Olympic lifters don’t train for hypertrophy.
If soreness isn’t an indicator of the muscle not being fully recovered, than what is it? I can not lift as much with a sore muscle as I can with a fresh muscle. It’s that simple. It’s counterproductive because it’s wasting time by delaying progress.

[quote]GD1 wrote:
Hi,

I am curious as to what others think about the idea of lifting while still sore.

I am currently trying to cut some of the fat I put on through a bad bulk before trying to gain weight again. I am cutting using CT’s destroying fat plan.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1499282

With his program it has you doing some heavy training days, sprints, steady state cardio, and circuit training.

The problem I am running into is that I am always sore from my heavy lifting days when it comes around to the circuit training days…which hit the same sore muscles.

So I suspect that it is not a problem to train the same sore muscles again as CT seems to have made the plan with that in mind…but what does everyone think?
[/quote]

I have struggled with soreness and delayed onset muscle soreness for years, It has impeded my progress immensely, but the combination of an NO2 and some good old Beta Alanine supplements I feel reborn. i don’t know if you use Beta-Alanine but if not I swear by the stuff. The initial tingling and rush are weird at first but later you learn to love it. Go slow and titrate upwards on it. Do the research and you’ll see you can go up to 4-6 grams (according to research.) I am no where near that level yet and will take it slowly. But the recovery is great.

Sorry if this is slightly off, but I have a related question.

Today is supposed to be my ME upper body day on ws4sb, and I’m still sore from the repetition day (sore in the triceps and I’m benching). Should I go and try to beat the PR anyway, or wait until I’m no longer sore (even if that means three rest days in a row)? I’m not sure if it would be a “waste” if I went in today…

[quote]Artem wrote:
Olympic lifters don’t train for hypertrophy.
If soreness isn’t an indicator of the muscle not being fully recovered, than what is it? I can not lift as much with a sore muscle as I can with a fresh muscle. It’s that simple. It’s counterproductive because it’s wasting time by delaying progress.[/quote]

Soreness and muscle damage and recovery aren’t necessarily the same thing.

You can do absolutely benefit from work while sore. Check out that gaining with pain article a little while back.

In fact if you get really really sore, most people recommend doing recovery work on the area.

Last I had read the mechanisms for things like DOMS aren’t really even understood, so it’s hard to base your training around them.

In the end, I think most people would be surprised at what you can adapt to.

after lifting fairly seriously for about 1.5 years now this is how it works for me

1. lift with intensity (5-10 reps) mostly compounds 5-6 days a week → minimal DOMS in most muscle groups, lower strength, higher work capacity

2. take 4-5 days off then go back to my regular rep/set scheme → more DOMS the day after and most likely noticable DOMS 2-3 days later, higher strength, lower work capacity

i stick with #1 almost all the time because i HATE chronic soreness and lifting often keeps me sane