Training the Lats Through Adduction

I have a question regarding training the lats. If the lats are heavily used in shoulder adduction as in a straight arm pulldown why don’t you see many bodybuilders doing the single arm variation from this standing side on to the cable stack?

They are the easier progression of an iron cross from rings and give me a really good pump in the lats. Just curious as to whether anyone has tried this exercise?

Wouldnt that bring in the pecs though?

I’m thinking pecs ass-well.

It does work the pecs slightly, it is similar to a DB pullover. I feel them lots in the lats and a little in the chest.

Maybe thats why you don’t see bbers doing them. Not enough lat?

I’ve tried these a few times, just felt it in my pec like a normal cable cross over

This is one of my favorite lat exercises!! I first started doing them as a 1-arm modification of “kayak rows”. I call them “bell ringers” since that is what the motion seems to resemble (to me).

The key to keeping the pecs out of the movement is to slightly supinate the entire arm and try to push down and slightly AWAY. These are subtle adjustments, but sometimes that’s all it takes.

If you like this one, try something similar at the low cable position. Grab a rope with one hand with an underhand (supinated) grip. Facing the stack, do a straight-arm pull between your legs. It somewhat resembles “hiking” a football. The key is to pull the elbow into the ribcage first so that hand is slightly outside of the elbow. Then flex the lat hard and focus on moving the stack with a lat contraction instead pulling with the hand. It helps to push the hand and cable DOWN towards the floor as it goes back between the legs.

Good stuff. Try finishing with some super-wide grip partial (top range) pull-ups. With the lats nearly cramping after these two movements, the pull-ups take on an entirely different feel.

[quote]Serge A. Storms wrote:
This is one of my favorite lat exercises!! I first started doing them as a 1-arm modification of “kayak rows”. I call them “bell ringers” since that is what the motion seems to resemble (to me).

The key to keeping the pecs out of the movement is to slightly supinate the entire arm and try to push down and slightly AWAY. These are subtle adjustments, but sometimes that’s all it takes.

If you like this one, try something similar at the low cable position. Grab a rope with one hand with an underhand (supinated) grip. Facing the stack, do a straight-arm pull between your legs. It somewhat resembles “hiking” a football. The key is to pull the elbow into the ribcage first so that hand is slightly outside of the elbow. Then flex the lat hard and focus on moving the stack with a lat contraction instead pulling with the hand. It helps to push the hand and cable DOWN towards the floor as it goes back between the legs.

Good stuff. Try finishing with some super-wide grip partial (top range) pull-ups. With the lats nearly cramping after these two movements, the pull-ups take on an entirely different feel.

[/quote]

They sound great. When you say the arm slightly away from the body, do you mean slightly away as in behind? This is how I took the pecs out.

I think I know what you are talking about for the second movement. Any chance you can video it the next time you are at the gym?

Thanks for the ideas!