Training the Arms

Don’t you bench and overhead press?

If not, you should. Those will put mass on your arms and carry over quite well towards combat sports.

You should: (box) Squat, Bench, Deadlift, O. Press, pull up/push up/dip and perhaps clean. These will all build your arms.

[quote]RedFury wrote:

If not, you should. Those will put mass on your arms and carry over quite well towards combat sports.

You should: (box) Squat, Bench, Deadlift, O. Press, pull up/push up/dip and perhaps clean. These will all build your arms.[/quote]

me? or the OP?

[quote]RedFury wrote:

You should: (box) Squat, Bench, Deadlift, O. Press, pull up/push up/dip and perhaps clean. These will all build your arms.[/quote]

me? or the OP?

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:

[quote]RedFury wrote:

me? or the OP?[/quote]

OP

[quote]RedFury wrote:

They will build them to an extent. But without DIRECT arm work, he will have strength imbalances as a result.

Once again, if you’re going to lift, lift for your damn arms. Don’t fall into this BS no-arm training shit.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]RedFury wrote:

They will build them to an extent. But without DIRECT arm work, he will have strength imbalances as a result.

Once again, if you’re going to lift, lift for your damn arms. Don’t fall into this BS no-arm training shit.[/quote]

The presses will hit your arms pretty directly. In fact, this type of arm training teaches your arm to work with other muscles in your body; while curling isolated the bicep or extensions the triceps. You are strongest when your muscles work together, so train them together. Besides, with presses, dead lifts, squats, dips, and pull ups, every part of your arm is being hit and will develop balanced strength.

Sorry dude, but you’re speaking in some gross generalizations there. First of all:

“You are strongest when your muscles work together, so train them together”
This is besides the point. You train your arms to get them stronger. You are not addressing Irish’s point (That without Direct arm work you will develop an imbalance). Also, in a press or row your ARMS aren’t at their strongest, and they shouldn’t be IMO.

"Besides, with presses, dead lifts, squats, dips, and pull ups, every part of your arm is being hit and will develop balanced strength. "
This is the aforementioned gross generalization. This is not true for everyone. Myself, as an example, I’ve gotten little arm development through pullups, little forearm development through deads. I’m a long limbed guy, and I tend to pull from my elbows. I DO NOT fatigue my bicep at all when rowing, and only feel them slightly in pullups.

Everyone is different, but if you want stronger ARMS, you should at least try curls and extensions.

[quote]rundymc wrote:
Sorry dude, but you’re speaking in some gross generalizations there. First of all:

“You are strongest when your muscles work together, so train them together”
This is besides the point. You train your arms to get them stronger. You are not addressing Irish’s point (That without Direct arm work you will develop an imbalance). Also, in a press or row your ARMS aren’t at their strongest, and they shouldn’t be IMO.

"Besides, with presses, dead lifts, squats, dips, and pull ups, every part of your arm is being hit and will develop balanced strength. "
This is the aforementioned gross generalization. This is not true for everyone. Myself, as an example, I’ve gotten little arm development through pullups, little forearm development through deads. I’m a long limbed guy, and I tend to pull from my elbows. I DO NOT fatigue my bicep at all when rowing, and only feel them slightly in pullups.

Everyone is different, but if you want stronger ARMS, you should at least try curls and extensions.

[/quote]

And I’m saying you will not see an imbalance using the main “bread and butter” lifts. The lifts I mentioned will develop a strong individual, arms included. Besides, a thai boxer should not rely so heavily on arm training, he should focus on his legs, back, and midsection. When he learns to throw a punch, these will be the main movers. Power in the arms will be generated from these larger muscles, not from a big bicep ( and the triceps are hit hard with presses.)

To each his own, yes. However, I’ve never been in a situation where I have to curl a 60 lb glass of water…but I have had to push 170lb men off of me.

If you read the thread, you’ll notice no one is saying ‘don’t do the core lifts’. The general opinion is ‘Add some curls at the end of your session.’ Having stronger arms can’t be a bad thing UNLESS you focus on them so much, you forget about the important things like your legs, back etc, or just plain burn yourself out on them.

If you have your training in check, which you should, doing 4 sets or so of curls or extensions won’t hurt. If they do somehow, don’t do em, lol.

[quote]RedFury wrote:
And I’m saying you will not see an imbalance using the main “bread and butter” lifts. The lifts I mentioned will develop a strong individual, arms included. Besides, a thai boxer should not rely so heavily on arm training, he should focus on his legs, back, and midsection. When he learns to throw a punch, these will be the main movers. Power in the arms will be generated from these larger muscles, not from a big bicep ( and the triceps are hit hard with presses.)

To each his own, yes. However, I’ve never been in a situation where I have to curl a 60 lb glass of water…but I have had to push 170lb men off of me.[/quote]

So you really don’t like reading comprehension huh?

Who the fuck was saying skip the big lifts and focus on arms? Who are you arguing with?

Strong arms, like strong-anything else, make for a better fighter, especially in the clinch. If you don’t at least help your arms keep pace, they WILL become your weak point and limit your strength.

There’s no question about this.

red fury should go back to beginners.