T Nation

Training the Anaerobic System

An earlier poster brought up a Berardi article about G-flux, which got me reading a bit more around JB. I found an article titled ‘training the anaerobic system’.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/training/gettinginshape.htm

I’ve been trying to bulk on some muscle for about 6 months now, but have always wished I could incorporate a bit of cardio in there but still get bigger. The article in question below lays out a weekly setup like so:

Day 1: Upper body (push) weights session.
Day 2: Rowing HIIT cardio.
Day 3: Lower body weights session.
Day 4: Cycling HIIT cardio.
Day 5: Upper body (pull) weights session.
Day 6: Running/sprints HIIT cardio.
Day 7: REST DAY

JB states that he uses this for conditioning for his off-season athletes, and suggests that you’ll work towards the kind of physique of a sprinter or high intensity athlete with this weekly setup, i.e. big, lean and muscular… would you guys support this? I’m about 180 lbs, 12% BF and looking to get bigger, stronger and leaner, but I’m worried this might burn me away to the stick-thin physique of a marathon runner?

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated!

[quote]Paulinho wrote:
An earlier poster brought up a Berardi article about G-flux, which got me reading a bit more around JB. I found an article titled ‘training the anaerobic system’.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/training/gettinginshape.htm

I’ve been trying to bulk on some muscle for about 6 months now, but have always wished I could incorporate a bit of cardio in there but still get bigger. The article lays out a weekly setup like so:

Day 1: Upper body (push) weights session.
Day 2: Rowing HIIT cardio.
Day 3: Lower body weights session.
Day 4: Cycling HIIT cardio.
Day 5: Upper body (pull) weights session.
Day 6: Running/sprints HIIT cardio.
Day 7: REST DAY

JB states that he uses this for conditioning for his off-season athletes, and suggests that you’ll work towards the kind of physique of a sprinter or high intensity athlete with this weekly setup, i.e. big, lean and muscular… would you guys support this? I’m about 180 lbs, 12% BF and looking to get bigger, stronger and leaner, but I’m worried this might burn me away to the stick-thin physique of a marathon runner?

[/quote]

I’ll tell you right now that I have been following a very similar routine but minus the cycling. Ill tell you what though I do support cycling from my own personal experience but not anymore for my current goals.

Anyways I wanted to say that following a very similar routine I have been steadily gaining muscle and am currently at 218 @ 7% bf. I can elaborate more on my program if you would like just say the word and I can give you my experience.

I am currently training to walk on this summer for a d-1 school to play football just so you know that this is something similar a high intensity athlete would follow. To be honest I would switch the days in your program and I would also incorporate two days of sprinting instead of the cycling but again it depends on your goal.

That sounds encouraging, I’ve messaged you thanks fella. What kind of shape did you start the program in? As in, were you always in that kind of shape, and this kinda topped it off, or would you say that this really has made a difference? 7% at 220 odd is impressive though!

[quote]Paulinho wrote:
but I’m worried this might burn me away to the stick-thin physique of a marathon runner?

[/quote]

This goes along with John’s G-flux ideas man. Exercise big, eat big, get big. With the large volume of exercise this program you have outlined entails, you will be able to consume massive quantities of food.

Just make sure they’re (mostly) clean and you should be able to meet your goals. Also, it might be beneficial to aim for a more high-low split, but this should be okay if you manage your recovery measures

[quote]bearmd wrote:

This goes along with John’s G-flux ideas man. Exercise big, eat big, get big. With the large volume of exercise this program you have outlined entails, you will be able to consume massive quantities of food.

Just make sure they’re (mostly) clean and you should be able to meet your goals. Also, it might be beneficial to aim for a more high-low split, but this should be okay if you manage your recovery measures[/quote]

Thanks bearmd. At 180 lbs (81kg) and 12% BF, I’ve been eating 3200 cals on workout and 2900 on off days, but then again I’ve been doing only 4 days of lifting per week and no cardio. So I think I’m gonna try a standard 3300 per day and then maybe drop it to 3000 on my one weekly off day. Sound ok? Of course I’ll monitor and adjust if I start losing etc.

This is one of those things you won’t be able to put a definite number on right away. Work your way up to your desired volume, don’t try to dump it all on at once. Then gradually up your caloric intake to match. It will go a lot on feel, but you should definitely keep a log or something of what you ate, what you lifted/ran/etc. and how you felt doing it so you can make easy adjustments. good luck bro

[quote]Paulinho wrote:
That sounds encouraging, I’ve messaged you thanks fella. What kind of shape did you start the program in? As in, were you always in that kind of shape, and this kinda topped it off, or would you say that this really has made a difference? 7% at 220 odd is impressive though![/quote]

Oh no way was I anywhere near what I am now! When I started lifting I was 175lbs @ 10-11% bf. Granted I have always been naturally athletic and carried excess muscle before lifting.

First day in the gym I benched 175, squated 280, and deadlifted 315 and never touched a weight in my life but I knew the first time I lifted I just loved lifting heavy ass weights! Also ran a 4.7 40 with a 28 inch vertical not bad for a noob!

The program I am on now is a series or an accumulation of knowledge that Ive compiled through the best coaches and trainers surrounding me as well as multiple power lifters olympic coaches and from multiple professional athletes and their programs. I have weeded out what works and what didnt work and took the best aspects of all the knowledge and training routines to put this together.

As well as all the knowledge Ive compiled from the 100s of articles and multiple books Ive read. Since starting lifting 3.5 years ago I have now become what I am. Had I had the knowledge I have now Im 110% positive I would be much bigger, stronger and faster.

Im currently typing up my routine for three friends of mine. Once I finish with it ill be sure to give you a copy. I will also post it under my own personal training log on this site as well which will be very soon to hopefully give kids and just people in general the knowledge that I once searched for, all compiled in one read.