T Nation

Training Techniques

I see heaps of example training routines on here. Does everyone use the same training techniques all the time or do they swap around for other routines?

umm I try and stay fairly consistent. if i find something that works, i try and stick with it for as long as possible. when it stops working, ill try something else but I inevitably return to the same things.

I train in 6-10 rep range generally but sometimes I get sucked into the stuff thibs has been working on. then i get confused...neural what? high performance...huh?...back to 6-10 reps...

if i feel like things are getting stale, ill do something different. like I generally do DB shrugs but this week i have access to a trap bar, so im going to do farmers walks.

with the amount of injuries i have, i am unable to stick to a program (recovery times etc) so i just listen to my body and do what i can, when it feels right.

keep some basic concepts that are common to almost all training programmes, and you'll make progress (hopefully)

Hi noob.
Stick to a program for as long as it works for you. If you start to plateau or start getting niggling pains and strains, you know its time to change things up for a bit.
For a noob, I assume your concentrating on the bigger lifts. If I was for you I would concentrate on a main lift for a 6 week period. For example for the first 6 weeks you will concentrate on making gains on your deadlift, making your deadlift day your epic day of the week. And then after those 6 weeks, for the next 6 weeks you might concentrate in making gains on your bench, hence your bench day is your epic day of the week.
Glad to help. etc etc.

tweet tweet

thats stupid. if he's a newb he should be able to make progress on EVERY big lift from session to session

i would tend to agree with this. seeing as you are new, dont specialize in a single lift for 6 week periods. yes, concentrate on the big lifts but progress on all of them as often as possible.

i really dont think this is what you were asking about but since it got brought up...