T Nation

Training Suggestions?


#1

I started training on 14th September with a full body routine followed it untill December and switched to a push pull legs routine.I couldnt train in March and trained in April and May with a high volume full body routine.My gym shut down in June so I couldnt train bought a power rack at the middle of july and continued with my current routine untill now.

My problem is I gained only 2 kg in this 1.5 months. My diet is in check i eat about 2600 kcal each day...Im 5'6" and 54 kg.My current routine looks like this

Workout A
Squat
Bench Press
Deadlift
Bent Over Row

Workout B
Front Squat
Overhead Press
Romanian Deadlift
Pull Up

Alternate Workout A and B on
alternate days
Any suggestions on what seems to need fixing?


#2

It’s hard to tell as I cannot see what your sets or rep schemes look like, what I can tell you right away is that you don’t need to be squatting and benching in one workout, and then front squatting and OP’s the next workout. Also, please rejoice in the days of gaining 2kg in a month and a half because believe it or not, that is pretty good, and someday it’s going to take a lot longer than a month and a half. (granted it was an increase in weight in muscle mass and not fat) If you want to make steady progress do this:

  1. find a sustainable program. Buy Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 program ebook, the 5/3/1 program covers everything you need to know, it will be the best $20 you ever spent. Read the whole thing.

  2. Eat more, don’t worry about calories, worry about your macro’s. (Carbs, fats, protein, etc.) Figure out what your body requires, (I can’t tell you because I am from America, and I need a conversion table in front of me)

  3. get your sleep and recover. Don’t drink too much alcohol. If you live in india, you have lots of chicken and rice, so go crazy (I was in Hyderabad 3 years ago and it’s a beautiful country)

Good luck! And don’t program jump


#3

sorry i forgot to dial in the rep ranges…8-12 is the range im currently working in and 54 kg will be about 120 lb …and lord! I dont drink im only 15


#4

[quote]supersayian1997 wrote:
My problem is I gained only 2 kg in this 1.5 months. My diet is in check i eat about 2600 kcal each day…[/quote]
What is your current goal?

If you’re trying to gain weight, then your diet is not “in check” in the sense that you still need more calories to add bodyweight.

[quote]Workout A
Squat
Bench Press
Deadlift
Bent Over Row

Workout B
Front Squat
Overhead Press
Romanian Deadlift
Pull Up

Alternate Workout A and B on
alternate days[/quote]
I’d either squat or deadlift in each workout. Doing both is overkill. You can probably get away with it for awhile, but soon enough your recovery will slow down progress.

8-12 reps for deadlifts (and probably front squats) is a bad call. Keep them in the 4-6 range for now and you’ll get more out of them.

Contrary to popular belief, there is room for direct arm/calf/shoulder training in a “full body workout” as long as it’s programmed correctly. Take a look here for an idea:

Since you’re alternating just two workouts (how many total days per week are you training?), you could play with the sets/reps on the second of each session. So instead of doing exactly the same workout twice a week, have an A1 and B1 workout using 8-12 reps, and an A2 and B2 using something like 4-8 (possibly using some different exercises).


#5

I take a slightly different tack than Chris here, and i think if you keep both squat and deadlift numbers in the 5-6 rep range (WITHOUT hitting total failure), then you can do them both in a workout. I still do. Higher reps increase the recovery. Higher reps are perfectly fine on the other lifts you have in your routine. I personally like the routine you have down and use something like that on occasion myself. It’s good, straight to the point, and covers all the movement planes.

I am not quite sure what you mean by “Alternate Workout A and B on alternate days”–if this means Monday/Wed/Friday, then I think it’s fine. If this means Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs/Fri then I agree with Chris and it’s total overkill to do both squat and deadlift.

Given the fact that you are only 15 I think you need to eat more. The reason you are not gaining weight is because you are not eating enough. You need to be probably around 3000 calories to start. Perhaps 3200, but shoot for 3000 for the next 3 weeks and see if the scale starts moving again. Only weigh yourself 1 time a week, and each time in the same circumstances (eg: after bathroom, before breakfast, in boxers, whatever). A gain of between 2-4 lbs a month is a good rate to gain at-- 0.5 to 1.0 lbs per week. Slow? Yes unfortunately. But it will add up, and you will have months where you shoot up in weight more than others.


#6

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
I take a slightly different tack than Chris here, and i think if you keep both squat and deadlift numbers in the 5-6 rep range (WITHOUT hitting total failure), then you can do them both in a workout. I still do. Higher reps increase the recovery. Higher reps are perfectly fine on the other lifts you have in your routine. I personally like the routine you have down and use something like that on occasion myself. It’s good, straight to the point, and covers all the movement planes.

I am not quite sure what you mean by “Alternate Workout A and B on alternate days”–if this means Monday/Wed/Friday, then I think it’s fine. If this means Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs/Fri then I agree with Chris and it’s total overkill to do both squat and deadlift.

Given the fact that you are only 15 I think you need to eat more. The reason you are not gaining weight is because you are not eating enough. You need to be probably around 3000 calories to start. Perhaps 3200, but shoot for 3000 for the next 3 weeks and see if the scale starts moving again. Only weigh yourself 1 time a week, and each time in the same circumstances (eg: after bathroom, before breakfast, in boxers, whatever). A gain of between 2-4 lbs a month is a good rate to gain at-- 0.5 to 1.0 lbs per week. Slow? Yes unfortunately. But it will add up, and you will have months where you shoot up in weight more than others.[/quote]

By alternate I mean Monday Wednesday Friday Sunday then Tuesday etc.After reading the insightful suggestions I calculated my calories using massive eating and WILL increase calories to 2900-3100.I guess its just hard for me ,being a former fat boy


#7

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote
8-12 reps for deadlifts (and probably
front squats) is a bad call. Keep them
in the 4-6 range for now and you’ll get
more out of them.
Contrary to popular belief, there is
room for direct arm/calf/shoulder
training in a “full body workout” as
long as it’s programmed correctly[/quote]

I do know that properly designed programs have room for direct arm work but it is entirely my choice to leave that out…becaise IMO arms get hit plenty from heavy compounds like pullups bench press militaey press etc. And im considering tweaking the rep ranges for deadlift and front squat and the whole program and will soon do it when im unable to add weight linearly


#8

[quote]supersayian1997 wrote:
After reading the insightful suggestions I calculated my calories using massive eating and WILL increase calories to 2900-3100.I guess its just hard for me ,being a former fat boy[/quote]
Don’t take this the wrong way, but how are you a “former fat boy” at 15 years old? With just under a year of off-and-on training, what did you weight when you started lifting?

And again, what exactly is your current goal?

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
I take a slightly different tack than Chris here, and i think if you keep both squat and deadlift numbers in the 5-6 rep range (WITHOUT hitting total failure), then you can do them both in a workout. I still do.[/quote]
For sure it can be done. I didn’t mean to bash the idea too much. Ha, just a few months ago I did a Henriques program that had back squats, front squats, deadlifts, and leg presses on leg day. (Walking three blocks home from the gym afterwards was… interesting.)

Just meant to point out that, eventually, it can be a lot to/too much to handle. But with OP’s current experience and strength, agreed, it should be fine for now and he can certainly see progress if it trains hard and eats.


#9

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]supersayian1997 wrote:
After reading the insightful suggestions I calculated my calories using massive eating and WILL increase calories to 2900-3100.I guess its just hard for me ,being a former fat boy[/quote]
Don’t take this the wrong way, but how are you a “former fat boy” at 15 years old? With just under a year of off-and-on training, what did you weight when you started lifting?[/quote]
Well…when I was 14 i weighed around 60kg at 5’…so you can guess how i was a former fat boy :slight_smile: then i developed anorexia and lost 15kg weight before i started training on my 15th birthday…As for my current goal…I want to progress in the main lifts while staying in the 8-12 reps in the majority of lifts as of now…when i cant add 5kg to my squat , 4 kg to my bench and 6kg to my dead each month i will lower my reps to 6-8 range and then the 4-6 range.Im guessing by the time i cant progress in the 4-6 range i would have had milked out LP completely at which point i will move to PHAT type routine…while moving down the rep range i will definitely make necessary changes to the program…guss that clears any doubt about mygoals