T Nation

Training Suggestion Before A Layoff

What kind of training program would be great to perform before taking a week off training for vacation?

I remember a COOL tip by CT, in which he mentionned that before taking a week off, training near over-training state is great since the week off will be use for recovery.

Does anybody can outline a program for that objective?

Thanks,

Grim

Right before you take the week off, take some implements to your local high school track. Take weights, sand bags or what ever and go do 5 miles of road work. That is run 2 laps as fast as you can and drop and do push-ups. Rest 1 minute and run 2 more laps and do squats with the weights you brought. After you puke, and rest another minute run two more laps and do some over-head presses.

Keep this going until you have completed 20 total laps. The exercises in between laps can be anything you want; the point is to run like hell and do resistance training in one interval. And if you really want to get froggy with the road work, do exercises before and after the the two lap intervals. Or you can even do one lap at a time with exercises in between. Do this and it will probably take you the whole week to recover anyway.

[quote]grimskunk wrote:
What kind of training program would be great to perform before taking a week off training for vacation?

I remember a COOL tip by CT, in which he mentionned that before taking a week off, training near over-training state is great since the week off will be use for recovery.

Does anybody can outline a program for that objective?

Thanks,

Grim[/quote]

You don’t need a program. Just add volume to what you’re already doing. I.e., either add another workout or do additional sets. Either one will do the trick.

I think it’d be cool for you to go for some PR attempts as your last workout before your off week, then do the same PR attempts your first workout after your week off and compare.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
I think it’d be cool for you to go for some PR attempts as your last workout before your off week, then do the same PR attempts your first workout after your week off and compare.[/quote]

I would try for the PR as well. But I dont know if I would necessarily try them again when I came back, Id want to get back into things a bit before trying for PR’s. But this is a great time for this because your CNS can take a nice long rest during this off week.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:

Grim

You don’t need a program. Just add volume to what you’re already doing. I.e., either add another workout or do additional sets. Either one will do the trick.
[/quote]

My sentiments Exactly just do more and more crazy crap drop sets, breathing squats etc, then rest, Its not rocket science just a LOT of hard work.

Go bust ass then rest and eat for a week.
Phill