T Nation

Training Style for Football Prep

Thanks for the support bro. Actually I’d prefer to play wide receiver or free safety, but I wouldn’t mind playing outside linebacker.

Ah yeah, when I said LB I was referring more to of a outside linebacker/strong saftey type.

Is FDU - Fairleigh Dicksinson??

[quote]IronWarrior34 wrote:
First of all, Jammer machines suck dick…[/quote]
I disagree. I think that jammers are a great tool to develop explosive power specifically towards football, and throwing sports. For bodybuilding they don’t do a whole lot, but for football, they do.

I don’t think the staff at commercial gyms would be fond of me removing the seats and pads of hammer strength incline press machines. I really don’t have access to a jammer machine, or a four way neck, or freemotion equipment. In fact I have never used any of that equipment. I consider those luxuries. I made the program based on convenience (most gyms have all the equipment neccessary to complete each lift in my program, only problem is I have a tough time finding places with dumbells over 100 pounds in my area). I get messages asking me why I designed a program like this.

Basically I modified the University of Colorado strength and conditioning program for linebackers. I thought the program seemed pretty interesting and I made a few changes. I’m not a huge fan of olympic lifts, reasons I can explain, opinions I share with Joe Defranco about them, so I left those out.

I’m going to continue to modify to program, and cut down on the volume, as many of you suggested, because its getting harder to recover from the workouts, especially when you add plyos and sprint work to the mix. Though I’m using a lot of volume at the moment, I’m lifting nowhere near my PR’s, because I’m still adjusting to the program. I also cycle the speed and agility work and will up it so I am better conditioned when it nears tryout time.

[quote]joeypolo84 wrote:
I don’t think the staff at commercial gyms would be fond of me removing the seats and pads of hammer strength incline press machines. I really don’t have access to a jammer machine, or a four way neck, or freemotion equipment. In fact I have never used any of that equipment. I consider those luxuries. I made the program based on convenience (most gyms have all the equipment neccessary to complete each lift in my program, only problem is I have a tough time finding places with dumbells over 100 pounds in my area). I get messages asking me why I designed a program like this.

Basically I modified the University of Colorado strength and conditioning program for linebackers. I thought the program seemed pretty interesting and I made a few changes. I’m not a huge fan of olympic lifts, reasons I can explain, opinions I share with Joe Defranco about them, so I left those out.

I’m going to continue to modify to program, and cut down on the volume, as many of you suggested, because its getting harder to recover from the workouts, especially when you add plyos and sprint work to the mix. Though I’m using a lot of volume at the moment, I’m lifting nowhere near my PR’s, because I’m still adjusting to the program. I also cycle the speed and agility work and will up it so I am better conditioned when it nears tryout time.
[/quote]

Well from what I see, you don’t have any explosive movements that will work the hamstrings well (I say well, because I don’t believe that a smith machine is beneficial becuase it causes you to lean back too much and you always play with your weight on your toes). Since you don’t have acess to a jammer and don’t like ol’s I would add Jump squats using free weights, and add some Glute ham raises.

he has NFL numbers as far as stats. its obvious hes just not a football player. hes one of those big guys that just arent good enough. I had a guy on my football team just like that. we used to call him proto-type…untill we actually saw him play…not to mention if you aint got the heart it dont matter how strong you are.

Actually, I perform jump squats on day four.

Your #'s aside if you wanna play any sort of ball again your gonna need to start doing the sport specific drills again. Like someone else said on the other page if you look the part but cant play the part your gonna get laughed off the field.

Good luck with whatever you do though