Training Style for Football Prep

Hey everyone! I’m a new member, but a long time reader. I am a senior in college and a personal trainer specializing in training athletes and bodybuilders. I wanted to post a new program that I developed and have been using for the past few weeks with great results. I’m following the program with hopes of returning to the gridiron (i.e. semi pro or af2). Though I miss training like a bodybuilder, and my H.I.T. style workouts, I believe this program is far more effective than the aforementioned.

Current stats: 22 y/o, 6’ 225 pounds
Personal bests: 470 bench, 610 squat, 585 deadlift, 225 bench for 40 reps, 37" vertical leap, 4.47 40 yard dash

Monday
OVERHEAD SQUAT 3 X 8
INCLINE BARBELL PRESS 4 X 6
BARBELL SHRUG 4 X 6
MACHINE LEG CURL 4 X 8
LAT PULLDOWN 4 X 8
DUMBELL SHOULDER PRESS 4 X 8
BARBELL BICEP CURL 2 X 8
POSTERIOR DELTOID EXERCISE 2 X 8
NECK / CALVES

Tuesday
OVERHEAD SQUAT 3 X 8
BARBELL SQUAT 4 X 6
BARBELL JUMP SHRUG 4 X 6
BARBELL ROW 4 X 6
DUMBELL BENCH PRESS 4 X 10
SMITH FLAT EXPLOSION PRESS 2 X 16
SMITH PULL EXPLOSION 2 X 16
ROPE PULL ON DYNA DISK 2 X 16 (EACH SIDE)
NECK / CALVES

Thursday
OVERHEAD SQUAT 3 X 8
PLATE LOADED LEG PRESS 4 X 6
INCLINE DUMBELL PRESS 4 X 10
T-BAR ROW 4 X 6
CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESS 4 X 6
BARBELL UPRIGHT ROW 4 X 6
MACHINE SHOULDER PRESS 4 X 8
45 LB. PLATE RAISE 2 X 16
NECK / CALVES

Friday
OVERHEAD SQUAT 3 X 8
BARBELL JUMP SQUAT 4 X 6
DUMBELL STEP UP 2 X 6 (EACH LEG)
MACHINE LEG CURL 4 X 8
DUMBELL SHRUG 4 X 8
DUMBELL HAMMER CURL 2 X 8 (EACH ARM)
TRICEP CABLE PRESSDOWN 2 X 8
NECK / CALVES

In addition I do a variety of plyo drills, sprints twice weekly. That program I will include in another post. Give me your input on the program, that I plan continuing to use.

[quote]joeypolo84 wrote:
Hey everyone! I’m a new member, but a long time reader. I am a senior in college and a personal trainer specializing in training athletes and bodybuilders. I wanted to post a new program that I developed and have been using for the past few weeks with great results. I’m following the program with hopes of returning to the gridiron (i.e. semi pro or af2). Though I miss training like a bodybuilder, and my H.I.T. style workouts, I believe this program is far more effective than the aforementioned.

Current stats: 22 y/o, 6’ 225 pounds
Personal bests: 470 bench, 610 squat, 585 deadlift, 225 bench for 40 reps, 37" vertical leap, 4.47 40 yard dash

Monday
OVERHEAD SQUAT 3 X 8
INCLINE BARBELL PRESS 4 X 6
BARBELL SHRUG 4 X 6
MACHINE LEG CURL 4 X 8
LAT PULLDOWN 4 X 8
DUMBELL SHOULDER PRESS 4 X 8
BARBELL BICEP CURL 2 X 8
POSTERIOR DELTOID EXERCISE 2 X 8
NECK / CALVES

Tuesday
OVERHEAD SQUAT 3 X 8
BARBELL SQUAT 4 X 6
BARBELL JUMP SHRUG 4 X 6
BARBELL ROW 4 X 6
DUMBELL BENCH PRESS 4 X 10
SMITH FLAT EXPLOSION PRESS 2 X 16
SMITH PULL EXPLOSION 2 X 16
ROPE PULL ON DYNA DISK 2 X 16 (EACH SIDE)
NECK / CALVES

Thursday
OVERHEAD SQUAT 3 X 8
PLATE LOADED LEG PRESS 4 X 6
INCLINE DUMBELL PRESS 4 X 10
T-BAR ROW 4 X 6
CLOSE GRIP BENCH PRESS 4 X 6
BARBELL UPRIGHT ROW 4 X 6
MACHINE SHOULDER PRESS 4 X 8
45 LB. PLATE RAISE 2 X 16
NECK / CALVES

Friday
OVERHEAD SQUAT 3 X 8
BARBELL JUMP SQUAT 4 X 6
DUMBELL STEP UP 2 X 6 (EACH LEG)
MACHINE LEG CURL 4 X 8
DUMBELL SHRUG 4 X 8
DUMBELL HAMMER CURL 2 X 8 (EACH ARM)
TRICEP CABLE PRESSDOWN 2 X 8
NECK / CALVES

In addition I do a variety of plyo drills, sprints twice weekly. That program I will include in another post. Give me your input on the program, that I plan continuing to use.

[/quote]

It looks like an interesting program. May I ask why you believe it is better and more effective than “bodybuilding” and H.I.T.?

That would be too much for me.

I am not bashing bodybuilding training splits or H.I.T. But for sports, most bodybuilding programs, especially H.I.T. are terrible for improving athletic performance due to injuries from overtraining, etc. H.I.T. was extremely effective in getting me some size and insane strength, but it didn’t help me with the type of conditioning that is needed for sports.

If those numbers are correct, and you have any sort of football skill whatsoever, you should set your sights higher than AF. Try to get an NFL Europe tryout or something… I’ll come out and say that those numbers would rival any starting linebacker or fullback in the league, if not better than all of them.

One more thing, why do you start every workout with overhead squat? I can imagine several answers to this question, but what is your personal philosophy for doing this?

Actually I use the overhead squat as a warm-up for all of my workouts, as it incorporates many muscle groups. I do not use that much weight. As far as football skill is concerned, I last played as a senior in high school weighing a mere 145 pounds. I had speed, but lacked size. I actually got into training after I played, and it took off from there. My lack of experience is the only thing holding me back.

[quote]joeypolo84 wrote:
Actually I use the overhead squat as a warm-up for all of my workouts, as it incorporates many muscle groups. I do not use that much weight. As far as football skill is concerned, I last played as a senior in high school weighing a mere 145 pounds. I had speed, but lacked size. I actually got into training after I played, and it took off from there. My lack of experience is the only thing holding me back.[/quote]

rowdy strength man.

I have to be doubtful here. Honestly, a 470 bench at 225? I have to call bullshit. If I see a video then of either the bench or squat, I’ll believe it.

Anyways, what in your mind, makes this different from a bodbuilder style workout? Just curious

-MAtt

Your stats are very, VERY impressive. 22 and 225Lbs with lifts like that is impressive.

However, I question that program you’ve got there.
For one thing, the volume seems incredibly high for one workout. I’m estimating it takes you 1hr & 30 mins to complete.

Then the frequency of such a workout is too high (in comparison to the volume). So much volume so often?

Second, there’s is some obvious imbalances. I understand trying to strengthing your scapulae elevetors (trapz and such) to stabilize your neck (cervical spine), but all that shrugging will no doubt lead to some serious elevated scapulae syndrome.

And what the hell is a dyana disk or whatever? Some kind of “functional” tool? Did Paul Check get to you?

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

I’m calling BS on the stats.

Aside from your stats, the program just looks completely bogus. Most of the variables seem to be thrown together completely arbitrarily with no regard to most basic principles of training programming.

If you were even close to as strong as you claim to be, there is no way that you could handle all of the volume and loading in those exercises with a weight that is even close to challenging to you.

I suggest buying Eric Cressey’s “Ultimate Off Season Manual.” It would be a good investment for you.

-MAtt

Firstly, the stats are valid, however I cannot lift that much throughout the workout. Those were just my PR’s. With the volume in each workout, it is virtually impossible. So far the program is going pretty good. I’ll continue with it for another six weeks or so before I decide what to do next.

And by no means am I downing bodybuilding type splits and workouts, I just wanted to try something different that would better suit my goals. I feel that full body workouts done throughout the week are more effective.

First- Why aren’t you doing olympic lifts? Do you have access to a Jammer Machine?

Second- Did you play college ball, cause you made it sound like you didn’t play college ball and youre skipping to arena.

First of all, Jammer machines suck dick…2nd…if those are your stats, you absolutely should be shooting higher than just some Arena ball, id definitley get out on a track and do some sprints and footwork if you plan on being quick enough for some of those players out there…good luck bro

Yea, I see you claim that your stats are real, but I still don’t believe them…at all. Post a video. If you’ve got a still photo digital camera, it likely has a video function as well.

Nonetheless, I think you need to look at your priorities here. Assuming that your numbers are real, you’ve got an over double bodyweight bench, and a 2.7 times BW squat. I honestly doubt that moving your bench up to 500lb and squat up to the mid 600’s would improve your game all that much. And the risk of injury that you could incur, seems to far outweight the benefits of making a huge effort at increasing this.

Secondly, I am led to believe that your football skills may not be up to par. Correct me if I’m wrong, but with lift numbers and raw athletic ability (the VJ and 40 time) like you are claiming to have, I don’t see why you wouldn’t dominate the field.

This leads me to believe that more skill work is in order.

Also, you may see benefits performing more reactive strength and plyometric type work since you already have such high strength levels.

Your program seems over-the-top and the volume could probably be reduced by A LOT without a decrease in strength. You may even be able to increase your strength with less volume. Use more of the basic compound exercises and less isolation “filler work”

And like I said before, if you’re serious about playing ball, I’d really check out EC’s manual.

-MAtt

what high school did you go to in Jersey and what college are you at right now???

thanks for the input, i have training footage and i plan on posting it. i go to FDU…division III, transferred there for my last year…I also perform a lot of plyo and coordination work…much of the work i do is adopted from archuletas old trainer, jay schroeder, you can download the video online…i also workout with one of schroeder’s former clients, who has played in the NFL and overseas in NFLE

Seems like you have pretty good stats, but like others said the only thing in question is your actual skill on the field.

It doesn’t matter what your stats are, if you can’t make a play then… Well you get the idea. What position are you going to be going out for? Guessing LB?

Anyways, about your program, I’m wondering a couple things.

1.) You have no hip extension or posterior chain dominant exercise listed. May I ask why? The only real exercise I see that could maybe be listed in this category is the machine ham curl…

2.) You have crazy volume, plus you mentioned along with this you are doing plyometrics similar to Schroeder’s stuff and also doing a sprint workout twice per week. Im curious to see what your volume is like on these areas, because I don’t know how long you’re going to be able to last on this type of program without burning out/getting hurt.

Best of luck, I would check out Joe DeFranco’s stuff though seriously. Also James Smith.