T Nation

Training Split?

I have been lifting for a little over a year and am starting a bulk i was wondering if this routine looks good to you guys.

mon- chest ,tri
tues- back ,bi
wen- legs, shoulders
thurs-off
fri- start over and for rep ranges been sticking to heavy compound movements almost a 5x5 training style but of course 8-12 reps on any isolation moves my main goal is to build muscle but strength is good too. i didnt know if this routine or full body 3 times a week like the old school guys was better

Legs and shoulders doesn’t seem like a very good pairing. How about:

Day 1. Chest, Biceps
Day 2. Legs
Day 3. Back, Abs
Day 4. Shoulders, Triceps

This is also depending on where your strength/size levels are currently at. What are your numbers in the big lifts? What is your height/weight/ body fat level? Personally, I know I wasn’t very big or strong after a year of training and I would have probably done better on a full body program at that point (as you mentioned).

This is basically the full body routine I did a few years ago and had great results with. Whatever you choose, just make sure to focus on getting stronger on all core lifts which should remain a constant in your programming. Good luck

Monday: 

Squat
Bench
Pullups
Curls

Wednesday:

Deadlift
Overhead press
Barbell row
Dips

Friday

Squat
Incline Bench
Chin ups
Skull crushers

[quote]Jack Bauer wrote:
This is basically the full body routine I did a few years ago and had great results with. Whatever you choose, just make sure to focus on getting stronger on all core lifts which should remain a constant in your programming. Good luck

Monday: 

Squat
Bench
Pullups
Curls

Wednesday:

Deadlift
Overhead press
Barbell row
Dips

Friday

Squat
Incline Bench
Chin ups
Skull crushers[/quote]

This looks pretty good (so does your avi) which rep ranges did you use?

I remember switching it up between 5x5, 8x3, 4x6, 3x8. Something I got from Chad Waterbury about the total reps being around 24. Skull crushers and curls I did 3 or 4 sets of 8-12 reps.

Here’s a split I’ve been using sucessfully with young clients for years, Torso/apendage, looks like this
Mon, upper body–push, pull (vertical plane)
Tues, legs, and arms (squat based)
thurs, upper body–push pull (horizontal plane)
Fri, legs, and arms (deadlift based)

Bunch of reasons why this works well, supersetting push, and pull, makes sure your doing exact same amont of work for back, as chest, somthing most young guys fail to do. Also alot of the young guys I’ve trained dread, and somtimes miss leg days. When you superset bi’s in between sets of squats this magicaly stops happening. I’ve had great results with tons of young guys, who’ve got big, and strong with this Here’s a sample week ;

Mon. Bench 5x5–superset–facepull,5x10, Low incline DB/ 3x8,–superset—DB/BB row,finish with tri set–side latteral, french press, dips
Tues. Squats 5x5–superset–preacher curls 5x10, BB step ups 3x8–superset-- DB curls, finish with abs, and calves
Thurs Military 5x5–superset–pullups 5xfailure, weighted dips 3x8–superset shrug, or row 3x8, finish with press downs, latterals, pushups
Fri. Dead 5x5–superset standing abs 5x failure, Cleans, or high pull 3x6, leg press 3x10–superset–hammer curls 3x10

This I’ve found works real well following somthing like Strong Lifts, or madcow, On any of the days don’t be afraid to drop all but the first 2 exercises, and put the work in there. 2cents

OP, how many threads like this do you need?

[quote]AnytimeJake wrote:
Bunch of reasons why this works well, supersetting push, and pull, makes sure your doing exact same amont of work for back, as chest, somthing most young guys fail to do. >> Also alot of the young guys I’ve trained dread, and somtimes miss leg days. When you superset bi’s in between sets of squats this magicaly stops happening.<< I’ve had great results with tons of young guys, who’ve got big, and strong with this [/quote]

this is gold