T Nation

Training Split Advice

Ok, So I just recently turned 19 a week ago and I have decided after about a year on/off at the gym that I would really start to focus on my diet and training and work towards a specific goal. That goal specifically being to gain muscle mass. I’m 6’3 and weigh 168.2 lbs. My body fat is also 12%. My goal at the moment would be to increase my weight to about 182 lbs and reduce my BF % to around 8-10 %.

I have noticed that a lot of people at my height are around the 200 lbs mark but that seems way off in the distance for me at the moment. So yeah basically I was wondering If the below split (Lower/Upper) would be best suited for me or whether I should look into a split routine or even something else?. My plan is set out the way it is due to my Uni schedule. I’m willing to work hard, so don’t hold back! Any other advice not in relation to my split but towards my goals are also welcome!

Wednesday - Lower body 1

1. Back BB squat: 3 x 6-8 / 90-120 seconds rest
  2. Stiff leg BB deadlift: 3 x 8-10 / 60-90 seconds rest
  3. Leg press: 3 x 8-10 / 60-90 seconds rest
  4. BB glute bridge: 3 x 10-12 / 45-60 seconds rest
  5. Seated calf raise machine: 3 x 15-20 / 30 seconds rest
  6. V-crunch: 3 x 10-12 / 45-60 seconds rest

Thursday - Upper body 1

1. BB bent over row: 3 x 6-8 / 90-120 seconds rest
  2. Incline DB chest press: 3 x 8-10 / 60-90 seconds rest
  3. Wide grip lat pull down: 3 x 8-10 / 60-90 seconds rest
  4. Parallel bars dips: 3 x 8-10 / 60-90 seconds rest
  5. DB lateral raise: 3 x 10-12 / 45-60 seconds rest
  6. BB bicep curl: 3 x 8-10 / 60-90 seconds rest

Saturday - Lower body 2

1. Sumo BB deadlift: 3 x 6-8 / 90-120 seconds rest
  2. Front BB squat: 3 x 8-10 / 60-90 seconds rest
  3. Single leg kneeling hamstring curl: 3 x 8-10 / 60 seconds rest (No rest between legs)
  4. Leg extension: 3 x 10-12 / 45-60 seconds rest
  5. Single leg calf raise on box: 3 x 12-15 / (No rest)
  6. Cable crunch with twist: 3 x 10-12 / 45-60 seconds rest

Sunday - Upper body 2

1. Flat BB chest press: 3 x 6-8 / 90-120 seconds rest
  2. Single arm DB row: 3 x 8-10 / 60-90 seconds rest
  3. Feet elevated press ups: 3 x 8-10 / 60-90 seconds rest
  4. Close grip pull down: 3 x 8-10 / 60-90 seconds rest
  5. Seated DB shoulder press: 3 x 8-10 / 60-90 seconds rest
  6. Flat bench EZ-bar skull crusher: 3 x 8-10 / 60-90 seconds rest

[quote]Bos93 wrote:
That goal specifically being to gain muscle mass. I’m 6’3 and weigh 168.2 lbs. My body fat is also 12%. My goal at the moment would be to increase my weight to about 182 lbs and reduce my BF % to around 8-10 %.[/quote]
What, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

It doesn’t have to be that far off in the distance. First things first, sure, but you’re a young, lean, underweight guy with plenty of time to lift, eat, and recover. You can make tons progress in the next year or so if you dial things in.

That’s not a terrible plan overall, but I’d tweak a few things. Mainly the sets/reps on the second day of each workout. Take a look at this program:

It’s the same template as yours, two upper body days and two lower body days, but one of each workout is focused on heavier/lower rep work and the other is relatively lighter/moderate-higher rep work to allow for even longer progress before hitting a plateau.

A basic lifting plan like that, plus plenty of the right food, will take you a long way.

This is what I ate yesterday; (I didn’t train)

1. 4 egg whites 1 whole egg omelette

You ate one meal the whole day?

oops nah I had 5 other meals on top of that…

1. 4 egg white + 1 whole egg omelette & 80g of oats cooked in water
  2. x 1 greek yoghurt & x 10 almonds
  3. x 1 turkey steak, mixed vegetables & 60g of brown rice
  4. x 1 tuna steak & x 1 medium sweet potato
  5. x 1 chicken breast & x 1 medium sweet potato & mixed vegetables
  6. x 1 greek yoghurt, x 10 almonds & 200g of blueberries

I checked out that article and i found it interesting, I like the idea of being able to lift heavy! My only issue is that I’m not that keen on lifting as high as 20 reps when I’m not a strong guy at all /: Id be lifting barely anything.

Iv’e read into Christian Thibaudeau’s articles and I have looked into his accumulation, intensification theory? would that be a beneficial path for me to take?

Thank you for your input I really appreciate it

[quote]Bos93 wrote:
oops nah I had 5 other meals on top of that…

1. 4 egg white + 1 whole egg omelette & 80g of oats cooked in water
  2. x 1 greek yoghurt & x 10 almonds
  3. x 1 turkey steak, mixed vegetables & 60g of brown rice
  4. x 1 tuna steak & x 1 medium sweet potato
  5. x 1 chicken breast & x 1 medium sweet potato & mixed vegetables
  6. x 1 greek yoghurt, x 10 almonds & 200g of blueberries[/quote]
    I’m not running the numbers on it, but that doesn’t really look like much at all. The biggest factor on if it’s “enough” is whether you’re gaining bodyweight each week. If not, add more food. Also, it seems pretty low fat and relatively low protein. There’ve been a ton of threads that talked about eating for size while in college. A quick search (top right of the screen) should bring them up.

Also, egg whites are for pre-contest bodybuilders. You’re a lean guy trying to gain weight… eat the whole egg.

It’s designed that way for a reason. You’ll get stronger as you go along, but rotating the sets/reps/load like that also make it more reasonable to train squats/deads twice a week, rather than training both of them heavy with low reps.

The one he talks about here?

Nothing specifically “wrong” with that training method, but it’s making things more complicated than they need to be right now for your current situation and goals. Really though, almost any program where you’re lifting 3-5 days a week for a few uninterrupted months should be fine.