Training Shoulders With Chest

Hi guys, I want to talk about the idea of training shoulders with chest in the same session.

I recently read the Mountain Dog article on shoulder training, which I found VERY interesting due to John Meadows training shoulders with chest in the same session. Now before reading this article I had always thought that people on a traditional bodybyuilding split worked their delts on a separate day, due to being able to use more poundage (as the delts get worked on the chest session). I know that nothing in bbing is set in stone and people train in different way, I just always heard the negative aspects of training shoulders after chest. So I thought this MD method was interesting.

Has anyone here trained this way, and if so what results have you had? I would like to get the opinions of some of the experienced people here. What would you consider the positive and negative points of a session like this? Do you think the extra days of rest helps the delts in recovery?

Just thought it would make an interesting discussion.

Just a question…but why is it the moment some of you read some personal trainer’s opinion, you immediately seem to change your own approach?

I don’t care what anyone says, I don’t train chest and shoulders on the same day because of how much I work my chest and shoulders individually.

This is bodybuilding. The guys doing it right are the ones who are building the muscle faster than average. Nothing else matters.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Just a question…but why is it the moment some of you read some personal trainer’s opinion, you immediately seem to change your own approach?

I don’t care what anyone says, I don’t train chest and shoulders on the same day because of how much I work my chest and shoulders individually.

This is bodybuilding. The guys doing it right are the ones who are building the muscle faster than average. Nothing else matters.[/quote]

I haven’t really changed my approach. Tbh I’m a bit of a newbie when it comes to bodybuilding and I am interested in learning. The reason why John Meadows’ writing interested me is because: 1) he is very developed, 2) he seems to know his stuff as he trains with the likes of Dave Tate, 3) he stated that his shoulders were a weakpoint until he changed his training methods to a more ‘unorthodox’ approach.

I’m just interested in what some of the people on these forums think about it and if they have tried the methods he uses. I did a search and found some threads, and while it was informative, I was interested in discussing it more (this is a forum after all).

Though I can tell you don’t agree with it, haha.

Well, if John was able to remedy a ‘weak point’ by changing his approach, THAT is the actual lesson here. If what anyone is presently doing is failing to yield desired results, then they should change what they are doing.

I’ve known lots of people who train shoulders with chest. I’ve also known lots of people who train chest with back. There are an equal amount of people training chest completely by itself. Out of the aforementioned groups of people, you will find within each one, people getting good results, and people getting bad results. See where I’m, going here? :slight_smile:

S

I trained them together for a while when I first realized overhead pressing was not an option for the time being. It worked well I did everything for chest which in my case was 3 barbell pressing movements which fatigued the front delt to some extent especially on inclines and after those I did 2 movements each for the lateral delts and the rear delts, It worked well I made a lot of gains off it and gave me a chance to let me lateral and rear delts mostly catch up to the front delts. I I dont train them together anymore because I found that smith high inclines dont cause my shoulder any pain and I want to use the maximum amount of weight for those. The lesson im trying to say is simply do what you gotta do to keep going

I do the big muscle groups alone, chest,back,legs. Since I go nuts to the wall and alot of volume,i can’t do another muscle group after(with high intensity) even if it’s a agnostic muscle group due to neural fatigue and other factors.

I do chest and shoulders on separate days but the main thing I took away from JM’s articles are some of the exercises and techniques he espouses (heavy swings, dropsets, partials… etc.), which are definitely working for me, especially in the delt department.