Training Secrecy

Are there any secrets? Training concepts that athletes and coaches protect so that the competition won’t get a hold of it?

I ask this because my coach gave me a new workout concept and told me not to include it in my online training log. He said his own coach gave it to him years ago and requested that he tell as few people as possible, so that other lifters do find out about it.

“Don’t put it in your training log, and don’t make any youtube videos. We don’t want word of this getting out.”

Is it common for a circle of lifters to be protective of their methods? Has anyone run into this?

I had a coach tell me something similar about a routine. What routine is it you’re doing? Maybe it’s the same one.

You’d have to tell us the secret for us to tell you whether it’s a secret method or not.

My guess who be that it’s not all THAT special. The biggest and strongest guys in the world put video after video of their methods out.

Of course if this secret your trainer told you about comes in the form of a little pink or blue pill then maybe it’s best not to mention it.

…besides, if everyone knew the secret -the secret wouldn’t work!

…that’s just how secrets operate

-ya dig?

Now shush-up, before these wiley bastards trick you into squeal’n and givin’ away your mojo.

I dunno. My experience with secret training methods are usually that the reason they’re kept secret is because they’re so bad that if someone were to leak it, they’d get laughed at and corrected.

[quote]Hanley wrote:

My guess who be that it’s not all THAT special. The biggest and strongest guys in the world put video after video of their methods out.
[/quote]

exactly.

Here is the biggest secret of all:

Squats and milk!

Nah, I think the most UNDER-IMPLEMENTED strength ‘secret’ is supra-maximal isometrics. But that’s just an opinion.

Think about it. How do people do planches? Isometric training. How do people get massive overhead lockouts? Isometric training. How do people get one armed chinups? Isometric training.

Crazy mofo’ moves are done through long, high intensity isometric training contrasted with practically DE style stuff.
This maybe not apply to powerlifters, but for people who just want to be strong mofo’s generally, I reckon isometrics with DE.

[quote]forevernade wrote:

Squats and milk![/quote]

Shut up goddammit or everyone will know!!!

Nah, I think the most UNDER-IMPLEMENTED strength ‘secret’ is supra-maximal isometrics. But that’s just an opinion.

Think about it. How do people do planches? Isometric training. How do people get massive overhead lockouts? Isometric training. How do people get one armed chinups? Isometric training.

Crazy mofo’ moves are done through long, high intensity isometric training contrasted with practically DE style stuff.
This maybe not apply to powerlifters, but for people who just want to be strong mofo’s generally, I reckon isometrics with DE.[/quote]

Agreed and underused eccentrics, i recently spoke on the subject at a university with strength and con staff, they looked at me like a had two heads.

Squats and milk![/quote]

About time someone lets us in on the goods!

I highly doubt there is anything terribly secret about it. It will work because it is probably something different than you normally do. Most people will try it because of the element of secrecy. A coach is good not because he has some secret method. It is because he has a working knowledge of how the human body works. He can look at your form, pinpoint weaknessess and what to do to correct them. He also know when to change and tweak your program to maximize your gains. Finally he is able to motivate you. In essence, that is probably what your coach did.

Remember, the first rule about lift club is you don’t talk about lift club.

You should write a book and title it: ``The Secret.‘’ You’ll make millions

You can let me in on the secret. I have a Level 12 security clearance from CIA, Dept. of Homeland Security, MI6, KGB, CSIS and just about the entire alphabet.

TNT

One “secret” that eluded me for 20 years of “working out”-

Keep a fucking log book. I’ve made more real progress since I started keeping a log book than I did in the 20 years I didn’t.

I’ve heard of it and seen it a couple of times, but only in team sports. My personal experience was some rugby scrummaging methods of questionable legality and a couple of other training drills.
At the end of the day, he is your coach and if you want to have a proper training relationship with him - do what he says and don’t blab.

No such thing as secrets

Of course there are! YOu just don’t know them!!!

Just make sure the training secret isnt that he is screwing your wife, unless of course it gets you a discount.

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=264blk2

The secret is clearly in there.