Training Schedule

I would like to know the various training schedules that are used.

1.Three days per week-Full body.

1. Every day- including some form of Cardi.

2. Four days per week.

3. One new muscle group each day.

It could very well be something entirely different. What does your schedule look like, most weeks?

Week 1-2: 4 workouts, Upper/Lower split, rep range 8-12, total sets 20-24,compounds and iso work
Week 3: 3 workouts, full body, rep range 4-6, total sets 12-18, all heavy compounds

Cardio 3-4 times a week, moderate

This is my current cycle while cutting. When bulking, move the volume up a bit and may make 1 week a one-body-part only higher volume schedule.

Week 1-2: 4 workouts, Upper/Lower split, rep range 8-12, total sets 20-24,compounds and iso work
Week 3: 3 workouts, full body, rep range 4-6, total sets 12-18, all heavy compounds

Cardio 3-4 times a week, moderate

This is my current cycle while cutting. When bulking, move the volume up a bit and may make 1 week a one-body-part only higher volume schedule.

I do full body 3X week. I just started week 7 of CW’s Total Body Training.

4-6 weeks…
Mon - Squat, flat DB Bench press, Bent over row to chest, bb military press, chins, 45 degree back extensions.

Wed - Lunges, inc. db bench press, standing cable row to chest, Standing db military press, lat pull downs, deadlifts.

Fri - Reverse lunges, weighted dips, reverse cable flyes, seated DB military press, bent over db rows, squat jumps to bench.

(all exercises done for 3 sets of 6-8 reps)

Tue & Thur - 20 mins CV, plus 20 minutes stretching.

Alternated with 4-6 weeks

Mon & Thur Legs & core
Tue & Fri upperbody
Wed & Sat Cardio & stretch

2-3 exercises per workout, totaling 12-20 sets per session

I also periodically use citcuit weight training eg. peripheral heart action, meltdown etc. when I want to improve fitness, work capacity or drop some BF%.

Am also about to start including some sled work to replace some of the traditional lower body work I’ve been doing for sooooo long!

3 days X week (typically monday-wednesday-friday). Legs only in day1 (Deadlift) and day3 (Squat). No direct arm work. No cardio. No diet.
Luca

I use the following depending on what I’m doing:

1. Mon, Wed, Fri full-body routines

2. Every other day training (two upper body, two lower body on an eight-day schedule - M, W, F, Sun, T, Th, Sat, etc.)

3. Four training days within a one-week period (M, T, Th, F or M, W, F, S) using two upper body and two lower body workouts.

4. In the future, I’ll use QD, which would be five full-body workouts in a one week period.

Patch:

You actually devote two days 20 min each to stretching? Admirable! Many people talk about stretching not so many do it.

On average 3x/week full body. Sometimes it’s 2x because I have no time, at others it’s 4 or 5x because I can’t complete a workout and so I split it.

In general for full body 2x is minimum and 4x is maximum. Unless you’re doing 3x3 with a 6rm or GPP-style which can work every day for some people. But that’s still a cycle.

Weights:

At the moment I’m doing Total Body Training (up to week 5) on M-W-F. I’m also doing Ian King’s 12 weeks abdominal workout (just started Stage 2)for 2 workouts/week.

Cardio:

Swim Th (doing mostly technique drill sets and some short intervals)

Swim Sat (mostly long distance sets)

Cycle Sun (at the moment doing 1 hour ride of interval training - on a real bike of course, not in the gym!)

If I get time during the week I might also throw in a session of two of rowing or running HIIT after a weights workout.

I’m also trying to decide what to do after Christmas. I don’t know whether or not I should throw myself into another weights cycle or do something different like a few triathalons over the summer and back off the weights to only twice a week for a while. Have any of you got suggestions on what strength training I could do to maintain my strength levels whilst doing more endurance stuff? It wouldn’t be for too long, only a period of about two months.

Zeb - when you get to my age (both cronological and training) if you don’t make the effort to stretch, you next injury is only a workout a way! “An ounch of prevention is equal to a ton of cure”.

Also, I find it helps me recover for my next session…important when doing 3 x p/w whole body.

[quote]Patch wrote:
Zeb - when you get to my age (both cronological and training) if you don’t make the effort to stretch, you next injury is only a workout a way! “An ounch of prevention is equal to a ton of cure”.

Also, I find it helps me recover for my next session…important when doing 3 x p/w whole body.[/quote]

Well said, very, very true!

I set up to do (usually) 3 week cycles.
Tuesday:

1. M.E. type bench exercise. 2x3(24inch grip Floor press / 22inch grip board press (3inch board) (WG bench or DB bench for 2x10 occasionally, to have a break).
  2. Tricep exercise. (Tri ext with EZ bar.4x10 / 24inch grip Bench 4x6)
  3. Chest supported Row 4x8 or 4x6 (sometimes 5x5)
  4. Med grip Pulldown. 3x8
  5. Light Crunches. 3x15 (30sec rests reducing to 20sec)
  6. Heavy (for me) 45degree back raise. 3x8
  7. Pre/Rehab. Usually bent over raise or reverse shrug. 3-4sets x 8-12reps

Wednesday:

1. Band pull-aparts. 3x8-12. Optional depending on how shoulders feel

Thursday:

1. DB bench (incline or flat) 3x8 (1.5 min rests)
  2. Tricep exercise. 4x8 for pushdown,4x12 for ext(Tri pushdown with a light J/S band added or DB tri ext off floor) 1 min rests
  3. Curl (DB hammer or EZ type) 4x8-12, 1 to 2 min rests.
  4. Heavy crunch, 4x8 1min rests
  5. Light 45 degree back raise, 3x15 30sec rests
  6. Pre/Rehab. Usually L-fly (ext rotation) 3x12, 1.5 min rests

Saturday:

1. Band pull-aparts. 3x8-12 Optional depending on how shoulders feel
  2. Band side raise 3x12 Optional depending on how shoulders feel.

Non-weight stuff
Monday to Friday:
Cycle to work, 5 to 15 miles depending on route (depending on time of year & weather).
Cycle from work, 5 miles
Sunday:
Easy swim with my son.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday: OLYs, assistance exercises, weighted chins, and sometimes a heavy adominal exercise.

Two to three other days a week: 4-5 400-500 meter sprints with one to one and a half minute rest periods, sometimes ab work.

Hand-walking - when my shoulders feel up to it.

Hey ZEB, what does your schedule look like?

Hey ZEB, what does your schedule look like?[/quote]

Hey Ross, thanks for asking:

SUNDAY-Either Hill sprints, 1/4 mile sprints, or some sort of explosive cardio. I used a “Stair Mill” last week. It was a blast. I sprinted up the equivalent of 12 flights of stairs. Did 8 sets with a :60 rest between each interval. Ouch! I then hit abs for five or six sets.

MONDAY-Rest and recuperation day. I usually hit the sauna and then get a massage. After Saturday and Sunday I am ready for this…big time!

TUESDAY-Five sets of Chins and Pull-ups as per my schedule. Dumbbell Incline Press, five sets, or weighted (50lb vest) Push-ups five sets. Deadlifts, five sets. I end the workout with three sets of neck harness, or machine, whichever I am in the mood for.

WEDNESDAY-Squats, 8 to 10 sets. I give my legs a good beating usually pyramiding down 12 to 3 reps. I then hit abs for five or six sets.

THURSDAY-Chin-ups Five sets according to my schedule. Lot’s of overhead work. I always do this to balance all of the vertical pulling involved with Chins.

FRIDAY-This is either a rest day, or a cardio day depending on my work and family schedule. If it is cardio it is less intense than on Sunday.

SATURDAY- This is the “money day” for me. I have a training partner who comes over to my gym and we attempt to one up each other until one of us collapes, ha. Usually, 60 minutes of (Seemingly) non-stop action. Cleans, Deadlifts. Pull-ups etc.

On good weather days we go out back and do some strongman training: Rocks, logs, kegs, sandbags etc. It’s not out of the ordinary to end with a 10 min grappling match either on the grass outside, or on some mats I have in my gym.

There you have it. I will vary this schedule throughout the year as not to get stale and complacent Right now this is what I am doing.

[quote]Old Dax wrote:

Non-weight stuff
Monday to Friday:
Cycle to work, 5 to 15 miles depending on route (depending on time of year & weather).
Cycle from work, 5 miles
Sunday:
Easy swim with my son.
[/quote]

Dax,

i was wondering how you went about the cycling to work, is it at an easy pace or do you do “intervals” on the way? Do you think it affects your strength/muscle gains (which of these are you focusing on at the moment?) at all doing this each day? The reason I’m asking is that I am thinking of cycling to work a few days a week myself.

Ben

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: OLYs, assistance exercises, weighted chins, and sometimes a heavy adominal exercise.

Two to three other days a week: 4-5 400-500 meter sprints with one to one and a half minute rest periods, sometimes ab work.

Hand-walking - when my shoulders feel up to it.

Hey ZEB, what does your schedule look like?[/quote]

Ross,

Is your program geared towards strength or size, or both, at the moment? I’m interested in doing more OLYs so I would be interested to see your set/rep details. Also, is this a program you use all year or is it just the current one that you are doing?

Ben

bg100:
Ben,
I usually do easy pace. This easy pace is much easier than than I generally can judge. I usually use a heart-rate monitor and aim for
HR<= 155bpm.(I’m 45yrs old - today in fact!)I found if I didn’t keep a check on the rate I naturally tended to over exert, this lead to tiredness later in the week and less total mileage, summer mileage can get to 100-120 miles p/w. I have found that if most of the effort is early in the day (empty stomach)I can handle it better just leaving 5miles to get home.
The main thing is to ensure 8hrs sleep / night and monitor how I feel.
If I’m peaking I cut back. If I’m dieting I have to be more careful.

Ben,

My goal is to be able to lift more weight in the C+J and the Snatch. Right now chin strength, anaerobic conditioning, and weight gain are on the back burner. The handwalking if for a CrossFit competition to hand-walk 100 feet before the new year.

Exercises, Sets and Reps: I am a novice’s novice with respect to the O-lifts. If you want training programs for the O-lifts, read everything at Dan John’s site -

• and read Arthur Drechsler’s Weightlifting Encyclopedia -

Web Search ‘Ross Hunt’ and click on the ‘Training Log’ link next to my name. In brief: In addition to the classic lifts and parts of them I perform a variety of pulls, squats, and presses, for many sets of 5 or less reps with generous rest periods.

My training varies, but I plan to stick with the O-lifts for at least the next half year. They are more fun than any other sort of physical conditioning I have ever done.

Weeks 1-4(Higher volume, medium intensity)
Sunday
lower body
GPP

Monday
Upper body

Wednesday
lower body
GPP

Thursday
Upper body

Weeks 5-8
Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday