Training Program

Sup guys, I’ve been reading for a few weeks but just registered. I’ve been weight training for almost 2 years and always thought I was pretty serious about it, but after discovering this site I really re-evaluated how serious I was. I’ve read a lot of articles but haven’t really settled on a program yet, so for now I’m still doing what I have been doing which is this:

4 day schedule:

1. Back/Biceps (abs)- standard stuff more or less, possibly too many biceps isolation exercises
  2. Chest/Triceps- I either do 1x10, 1x8, 1x6 for sets or 3x5 when I do flat bench, but after reading I want to give something like 10x3 a try
  3. Shoulders/Legs (abs)
  4. Rest
  5. Start again from Day 1

I know it’s not the best, but I figured I’d post it in case there are any glaring mistakes that I don’t know about yet. One thing I have already implemented that I learned from reading this site is a proper nutrition program. I’ve only been eating off the program for a little over a week but I’m already loving it.

My goals are to gain 15 lbs of muscle and get my BF% down to about 8, or come as close as possible. I’m not sure what it is now but I’m going to get it checked (I’d estimate it to be around 11%). From what I know about nutrition, I’m a little confused about how to go about doing this. I know that to lose body fat you need to exercise and use more calories in a day than you take in, but also that to gain muscle you need to take in more calories than you use.

I could probably keep looking through articles and find a program, but I want to be sure I’m finding the best one for my goals.
Also, I’ve been using Mega Isolate protein powder from GNC because they told me to take that over Mega Whey because I’m lactose intolerant. Does anybody else have this issue? What did you do to deal with it?

Finally, I scoped that training log in this forum and I think doing something like that is a great way to stay motivated. I was thinking about doing something like this, would that be annoying to people?

[quote]metallicaman wrote:
Sup guys, I’ve been reading for a few weeks but just registered. I’ve been weight training for almost 2 years and always thought I was pretty serious about it, but after discovering this site I really re-evaluated how serious I was. I’ve read a lot of articles but haven’t really settled on a program yet, so for now I’m still doing what I have been doing which is this:

4 day schedule:

1. Back/Biceps (abs)- standard stuff more or less, possibly too many biceps isolation exercises
  2. Chest/Triceps- I either do 1x10, 1x8, 1x6 for sets or 3x5 when I do flat bench, but after reading I want to give something like 10x3 a try
  3. Shoulders/Legs (abs)
  4. Rest
  5. Start again from Day 1

I know it’s not the best, but I figured I’d post it in case there are any glaring mistakes that I don’t know about yet. One thing I have already implemented that I learned from reading this site is a proper nutrition program. I’ve only been eating off the program for a little over a week but I’m already loving it.

My goals are to gain 15 lbs of muscle and get my BF% down to about 8, or come as close as possible. I’m not sure what it is now but I’m going to get it checked (I’d estimate it to be around 11%). From what I know about nutrition, I’m a little confused about how to go about doing this. I know that to lose body fat you need to exercise and use more calories in a day than you take in, but also that to gain muscle you need to take in more calories than you use.

I could probably keep looking through articles and find a program, but I want to be sure I’m finding the best one for my goals.
Also, I’ve been using Mega Isolate protein powder from GNC because they told me to take that over Mega Whey because I’m lactose intolerant. Does anybody else have this issue? What did you do to deal with it?

Finally, I scoped that training log in this forum and I think doing something like that is a great way to stay motivated. I was thinking about doing something like this, would that be annoying to people? [/quote]

The fact of the matter is almost any training program will work…for a while. If you’ve been doing that for a while you might want to look at switching it up to something else.

The only glaring mistake you have in conflicting goals. You said it yourself that you have to use more calories than you take in to lose weight and take in more calories than you spend to gain it. Unless you’re on roids are are completely new to training, chances are you’re not going to accomplish 15lbs of lean muscle while dropping to 8%. You need to prioritize one of the two first (I would say the muscle).

Don’t waste your money at GNC. They are way overpriced. There are plenty of good supplement stores online. This place being one of them.

It won’t annoy people if you keep a journal. If they don’t want to look at it they won’t.

find a pre-made program like one of the many here on this website. These programs are written by people who do this for a living and are alot better at it then you. Trust me your results will be alot better.