Training Program

Hi,

First off i started training about six years ago, only the last two of which i took serious. I posted here two years ago about steroids which i didn’t go through with.

Since that time i managed to gain over twenty pounds of mostly muscle on a dirty bulk phase. I like the way i look now and want to keep improving.

My current program is pretty much how i feel that morning depending on how much i get done. I am limited to equipment but i will be getting a rack system. All i have right now is a bench and Olympic weight set of 305lbs. My current routine is pretty straight forward

Mon

5x5 Bench press
5x5 BB military press
5x5 BB bicep curls
Ab work
Tue

5x5 Hack squats
5x5 Dead lifts
5x5 Bent over rows

Wen off

Thurs

5x5 Bench press
5x5 BB military press
5x5 BB bicep curls
Ab work
Fri

5x5 Hack squats
5x5 Dead lifts
5x5 Bent over rows

Sat

Off

Sun

Off

I started seeing myself plateau lately and was wondering if i have been over training or if i need to change my routine i would appropriate your input on different routines.
My typing isn’t the best so i apologize for the mistakes.

Thanks

Nice routine mate, I’m not sure how to help you but if you are at a plateau then there is something I read about completely changing your program for six weeks or so, I’m not sure in which way you should change your routine - maybe different days, exercises and sets/reps. But there is an article here on it.

[quote]lmc wrote:
Hi,

First off i started training about six years ago, only the last two of which i took serious. I posted here two years ago about steroids which i didn’t go through with.

Since that time i managed to gain over twenty pounds of mostly muscle on a dirty bulk phase. I like the way i look now and want to keep improving.

My current program is pretty much how i feel that morning depending on how much i get done. I am limited to equipment but i will be getting a rack system. All i have right now is a bench and Olympic weight set of 305lbs. My current routine is pretty straight forward

Mon

5x5 Bench press
5x5 BB military press
5x5 BB bicep curls
Ab work
Tue

5x5 Hack squats
5x5 Dead lifts
5x5 Bent over rows

Wen off

Thurs

5x5 Bench press
5x5 BB military press
5x5 BB bicep curls
Ab work
Fri

5x5 Hack squats
5x5 Dead lifts
5x5 Bent over rows

Sat

Off

Sun

Off

I started seeing myself plateau lately and was wondering if i have been over training or if i need to change my routine i would appropriate your input on different routines.
My typing isn’t the best so i apologize for the mistakes.

Thanks [/quote]

why dont you try switching the times you do bent over rows and bicep curls around.

wouldn’t you be able to put alot more effort into the rows if they were after bench/m.press? It should be getting more attention since it’s your only back exercise

and if you are plateauing you should change into something like an upper/lower split and maybe do 4x8 instead of 5x5. You won’t go wrong on a regular bodybuilding split either.

deload yet? cut down to like 40% of your 5rm and increase by 10% over 6 weeks then go for 110%.

or
if you’ve been on the 5x5 for long (3+ months) switch up to a 6 day a week/1 full body workout per week for a bit for at least a couple weeks.

Maybe you need more assistance training? i don’t see any of that going on. compound movements are great but after a certain point there are muscles that aren’t hit as hard when the main ones involved are primed. i think you’re at that stage where you need to add some isolation exercises in order to see load increases.

Your routine doesn’t look all that bad. You probably just need more weight; deadlifting 305 can get tedious.

You need to find a way to force yourself to progress. The other guys have advised switching up your routine. That may be a good idea if you’ve been doing the 5x5 for very long (3 months+).

There are a number of techniques to force yourself to progress. Add a rep each workout. Add a set. Stuff like that.

Or drop sets, supersets, pre/post exhaustion, partials, all are really great plateau busters. All you really need to do is pick one and go with it.

Oh, it’s also worth pointing out you may need to eat more too :slight_smile: