T Nation

Training Program: What Do You Think?

This program is found somewhere on this site, its called the shutup program I think. Its set up so that you hit the larger muscle groups once, and the smaller muscle groups twice per week.
About me: 2 1/2 years training, 18 yrs old, 180 cm and 85 kg around 10% bf, my goal is simply to keep getting bigger and gaining muscle.

day 1: chest biceps

bench press
DB incline press
weighted dips
3 bicep exercises

day 2: Legs and lower back

squats
deadlifts
leg press
leg curl
2calf exercises

day 3: off

day 4: back abs

weighted pullups
bent over row
overhand grip rows on machine
one more back ex(?)
leg raises
weighted crunches
plank/side plank

day 5: shoulder triceps
db overhead press
db lat raises
military press on machine
close grip bench press
cable tri pushdowns
other tri exercise

days 6 and 7 are off

for each exercise i would do around 3 sets of 8 reps
so what do you think of this program? squats and deadlifts on the same day should be pretty brutal i imagine but i should be able to manage. any suggestions/comments/critiques are appreciated. thanks in advance

For the sqauts and dealifts I would alternate to how heavy you go on them.

Eg:
Week One;
Day 2: Squat 5 x 5, deadlift 3 x 10-12
Week Two;
Day 2: Squat 3 x 10-12, deadlift 5 x 5

This was it will be more manageable for you in not wearing yourself out. But, incorporate on what you want to do with the sets and reps.

sounds good, ill try that.

anything else i need to change, or if it is good the way it is would be good to know too...

I personally think it seems like a good start. As for Day 4: Back and abs do not add in another back exercise. You'll be doing heavy deads two days before that, 3 is more than enough.

If you want to experiment try supersetting exercises. Examples.

A1) Bench press
A2) Dumbbell curl
B1) Push-ups
B2) Triceps kickback

You would do A1) Bench press for a number or reps then precede immediately to A2) Dumbbell press for a number of reps then rest. Then back to A1) Exercise A2) Exercise, rest. Till all the sets are done.

Doing this keeps the intensity and focus up in the gym. So, a workout doesn't become 2 hours long with a lot of rest between exercises.

thanks so much man.
one last question: in the article it says you should do
week 1: 2x12
week 2: 3x8
week 3: 4x5
then start again while adding 2-5 kilos.

is this good? or can i just change rep ranges every few months, while progressing on weight whenever i can?

thanks so much man.
one last question: in the article it says you should do
week 1: 2x12
week 2: 3x8
week 3: 4x5
then start again while adding 2-5 kilos.

is this good? or can i just change rep ranges every few months, while progressing on weight whenever i can?

Squats and Deadlift on the same day isn't too brutal. But you gotta reach down deep. Many men have squatted 3x a week, adding 5-10 pounds per workout (3 sets of 5) and deadlifting every other workout (1 set of 5), adding 5-10 pounds per workout (alternating with powercleans every other workout, of course). Under the bar, this shit motherfucking sucks and you will want to curl up and die afterward. . . . . but it can be done.