T Nation

Training Program Idea. Bad or Terrible?

4 days a week . Everyother day or 2 on 2 off...
First exercise of the day is What im putting emphasis on. Everything after is just assistance and will not be my main concern.
4 main lifts will be squat, bench, deads, overhead press.

Day 1 squat
Squat- 5x5 ramped. try to add 5 -10 lbs everyweek
Trap bar deadlift 3x10
Pull ups - as many sets to get to 25 reps
Leg extension- 3x10-15 whatever im feeling
Curls 3x 10 reps
ab wheel rollout - 3x whatever I can get
Half mile warmup and cool down plus foam roller.

Day 2 chest
Bench 5x5 ramped. Try to add 5lbs everyweek.
Dumbbell shoulder press 3x 8 to 12
Dumbell incline press. 3x 8-12
Kroc row 3x 15-20 reps
Side/rear later raise ss. 3x whatever I feel that day
Skullcrusher 3 x 8-10
Face Pull bands through out work
Same warm up cool down. Treadmill

Day 3 deads try to add 10 pounds week
Deads 5x5 ramped
Front squat/ back squat? 3x10
Various grip pull ups. Sets to 25 total
Leg curl 3 x 10 -15 reps
Curls 3x 10
Hanging leg raise 3x however many
WRM up cool down same treadmill

Day 4 overhead press try to add 5lbs everyweek
ohp 5x5 ramped
Chest dips 3 x15. Add weight when needed
Smith behind neck press 3x8-10
Tbar or barbell row 3x 8-10
Dumbbell chest flyes 3x 10-15
Tricep work? 3x10
Band pull aparts face pulls throughout workout
Same warm up and cool down.

Once I get through couple weeks of this and it feels time I plan on adding conditioning. Either after workout or probably days off lifting.
Heavy bag work , ground pound work, jump rope, bag carries , farmers walks.

Like I said before my main concern will be the big 4 and the rest is just extra assistance work. If they start to cause me problems I will cut them. I haven't lifted in a while and will be starting very light.

Any reason why you chose those assistance exercises on those particular days?
I can’t really see what you’re trying to do here. Doesn’t make a lot of sense.

If you’re interested in powerlifting perhaps it might be better to follow a ready made program and then over time make adjustments to it to suit your needs.

Plenty of good powerlifting programs out there. I like the way Ed Coan and Andy Bolten arrange things. Everything is done for a reason. Not just thrown together. Dave Tate and Tim Henriques are others who have great plans. Metroflex Gym Powerbuilding Basics by Josh Bryant and Brain Dobson has over 50 programs .

Also because you haven’t lifted in a while you wont need to do a huge amount of assistance work . Let that stuff build up slowly.
I’d drop what you are doing and choose a solid program until you get into a your own groove so to speak.

What is true of any program is that the proof is in the results, I would agree with Angus that some of the accessory work seems a little random. But the structure that you have put forth is kind of similar to what I have done for the past year or so.

A good example of my training week:

Day 1: Squat (heavy or light alternate weeks) If heavy, work up to 3-5 sets of 1-4 reps. If light 2-4 sets of 8-12 reps and progress as fit
stiff leg DL: 2-4 sets of 3-6 reps
leg press, leg curl, leg extension, dimmel deadlifts all possible accessories I would use

Day 2: Bench (heavy/light weeks) if heavy same protocol as squat, if light 8-10 sets of 2 reps around 70-75% to work on comp form
lat pull downs, weighted dips, incline DB or BB

Day 3: Deadlift (heavy/ light weeks) If heavy, work up to 1-3 sets of 1-3 and it should be in the 85%+ range. Light weeks focus is on technique and using alternate stance
Low block pulls 2-3 sets of 3-5
Pause squat work up to one set of 3-5 should not be a grind (or front squat which ive been doing more recently)

Day 4: Strict OHP or seated OHP This I rarely go below three reps on, usually something like 1x10 1x8 2x5 and one rep out set
Barbell rows, incline DB, dips, raises, extra arm work

This has been my general guideline for the past year and took my deadlift from 655-700 from May to November of last year. Squat was increasing very well but had some hip injuries that sidelined me. Bench and OHP also seen alot of progress. If you are interested in 1x a week frequency maybe give this a thought, I would be happy to answer any questions you have in more detail.

I actually don’t mind ‘random’ accessory work. I rarely do much accessory work at all aside from pull ups, but when I do it, it’s kind of just whatever I feel like at the time.

This is probably bad advice. Don’t listen to me.

I tried not to put to much accessory work on any given day.just spread it out the best I could… pull ups and bicep on dead and leg day. Back rows and tricep on bench and ohp days. My squat and deadlift are very weak from years of just doing upper body work like a dumbass.

The accessory work is pretty random, and the increases could be a big ask on a weekly basis unless you’re just starting out.

However, overall it doesn’t look terrible to me. I’ve found for myself one main lift and two to three related accessories works well as a template for me. I also don’t use the biggest variety of accessories, I try to stick to the ones which I know work for my weak points (so they change over time), and the ones that have carryover to more than one main exercise.

My favourites are: front squat (squat/DL), pull-ups (everything), snatch grip DL (squat/DL), Kroc Rows (bench/DL), hack squats (squat), dumbbell incline press (bench), high box squats (squat/DL)

[quote]the hard way wrote:
I tried not to put to much accessory work on any given day.just spread it out the best I could… pull ups and bicep on dead and leg day. Back rows and tricep on bench and ohp days. My squat and deadlift are very weak from years of just doing upper body work like a dumbass. [/quote]

I’d suggest a ton of box squatting then. Of all the assists, IMO that is the one that’ll drive your squat and deadlift the most. When I said high I meant essentially parallel.

I am definitely starting very light on all main lifts. So I don’t think the weekly increases will be a problem at least for couple of months. I bench more than I squat. Lol . It’s pathetic but I am going to change that.
I would like to stick with this progression until I have descent #'s then run one of wendler s 531 templates. I honestly wish I could find a begginer squat dead program that was mixed with intermediate upper body. This is the best I could come up with. Im not looking to Powerlift . I just want strong #'s and be a big , strong , awesome motherf****er. Don’t we all ? Haha

Box squatting? Never tried it. I will look into it. Thanks.

I am definitely starting very light on all main lifts. So I don’t think the weekly increases will be a problem at least for couple of months. I bench more than I squat. Lol . It’s pathetic but I am going to change that.
I would like to stick with this progression until I have descent #'s then run one of wendler s 531 templates. I honestly wish I could find a begginer squat dead program that was mixed with intermediate upper body. This is the best I could come up with. Im not looking to Powerlift . I just want strong #'s and be a big , strong , awesome motherf****er. Don’t we all ? Haha[/quote]

With this mindset, I would suggest that you do…arrrghhh

Starting Strength.

If not, then I suggest following the 531 progression model for your main lifts instead of starting light for no reason other than it looks good on paper.

I would like to stick with this progression until I have descent #'s then run one of wendler s 531 templates. I honestly wish I could find a begginer squat dead program that was mixed with intermediate upper body. This is the best I could come up with. Im not looking to Powerlift . I just want strong #'s and be a big , strong , awesome motherf****er. Don’t we all ? Haha[/quote]

Why not run 5/3/1 right now? Why the wait?

[quote]dt79 wrote:

Starting Strength.[/quote]

That took a lot out of you, didn’t it :stuck_out_tongue:

You want to build strength, get some muscle and improve technique?

Check out Reed’s lower body schedule from the “deloads” thread last week. I don’t want to put words in his mouth but…

Monday you “ramp up” with low reps on a lift like front squat. You could probably use trap bar deadlift too. Building strength is the goal.

Thursday you do some “volume” work with moderate weight/moderate reps and perfect technique on the squat. Like practicing the movement to get it perfect. You could even box squat like Mark suggested. Lots of coaches love the box squat to learn to squat better.

Then a few deadlift singles with moderate weight and perfect execution.

Both days you do some body builder muscle pumping stuff for quads, calves and hamstrings.

It seems pretty cool. It reminded me of Westside.

[quote]craze9 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

Starting Strength.[/quote]

That took a lot out of you, didn’t it :p[/quote]

I had to put my lifting belt on just to type that.

Hahaha

^Then I thought of Rippetoe when he’s not all uptight and grumpy…

That is a good photo.

Box squatting? Never tried it. I will look into it. Thanks. [/quote]

I haven’t come across anything better at getting you good at moving weight with your glutes and hams while keeping tight in the torso. IMO if you pull sumo it might be THE assistance exercise - based on it being what helped me feel how to start the sumo pull. Not to mention its an awesome squat assist and the hit it gives your glutes, hams and lower back will drive your conventional DL as well…

I’ve never tried box squats with a narrow or medium stance (I squat wide), but I can’t see how they’d be less good with the feet closer in. They’d just feel a bit different I guess.

My lifts are not enough for 531. I haven’t lifted in a year minus the last month just getting back in groove.531 seems to be people with a good grasp of total maxes already and plus the progression is a little slow for me now. Let me build some strength and i will be looking forward to 531.

I couldn’t find reeds thread but will keep looking. Thanks