Training Program for Study Abroad?

It’s not hard to maintain muscle if you eat right and do the bare minimum. Shit, bust your ass doing TBT 2x/week and you’ll probably be OK. Not ideal, I think it would work.

[quote]Foretaussi wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Dude, do 5/3/1 set up for training 3 days a week, set your percentages low, and then don’t worry about it. You’re going to fucking France! Eat shit tons of delicious food, train hard for about an hour 3x a week, and chase French chicks!

The beautiful thing about 5/3/1 is it’s versatility. The same program can be used for fat loss, “training to maintain” (which is what it sounds like you are interested in), or mass and strength gain. Check out the e-book, Jim has some very good abbreviated training templates in there.

It’s pretty convenient then that the newest article is about 5/3/1 :slight_smile:

Now, since the article didn’t explain how to do the four lifts in a 3 times a week format, how would you split it up?[/quote]

You could either only do three of the lifts, or you could spread the four workouts out like this

Mon 1- Bench 3x5
Wed 1- Squat 3x5
Fri 1- OHP 3x5
Mon 2- Dead 3x5
Wed 2- Bench 3x3
Fri 2- Squat 3x3
Mon 3- OHP 3x3
Wed 3- Dead 3x3
Fri 3- Bench 5/3/1
Mon 4- Squat 5/3/1
Wed 4- OHP 5/3/1
Fri 4- Dead 5/3/1

And then you would take your deload week after that if you wanted/needed to.

Buy the ebook.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Oh I don’t know… because you’ve got a once in a lifetime chance to explore a foreign country without paying out the ass for it?

Fuck the gym. Go enjoy your trip, get drunk, bang French chicks, and see some incredible history.

If you’re lifting more than two times a week while all that shit is around you, you are a horse’s ass. Experience life.

[/quote]

dude he said there was a gym at the university he was staying at. yes if he’s away for four days i’m not suggesting he take time out of his day to do dips on a fence post. but if he’s AT the damn school he should be able to lift.

[quote]Foretaussi wrote:
I have school only Tuesday through Thursday while I’m there, and that means my four day weekends will most likely be spent traveling around. I’m also pretty sure that many of the trains I’ll be riding and the rural towns I’ll be visiting won’t have gyms readily accessible for me to get my exercise fix. So, I won’t have access to a gym 5 times a week, so I need something flexible to work with. I’ve only been doing programs, and a year can pass quickly without learning about too many, so I was looking for help.

[/quote]

Had you said that in your first post, i wouldn’t have called you all those names.

If that is really your problem, I apologize for flipping out like a retard.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
Foretaussi wrote:
I’m still young, and if I wanted to go to the gym all week besides going to school, I would stay at home, rather than paying 20,000 dollars to workout somewhere else.

WTF is this shit?

How does 5-10 hours a week ruin France for you?

You have to be trolling.

My advice: stop being a lazy piece of shit looking for a bunch of e-people to validate your lack of desire. It is okay, self improvement is not for everyone. Just don’t come here, and expect people to coddle you and lick your nuts for you when you can’t be bothered to not be a jackass.

Your first post basically said “I found the perfect excuse to stop lifting because I don’t really want to, help me justify it guys. I don’t want to feel too guilty.” Dude if you don’t want to lift, don’t. You don’t need an elaborate plan and internet forums. Just stay the fuck on the couch.[/quote]

Your grasp of the English language is mystifying and your creative interpretation of my words is really entertaining. Even now that I’m in college I haven’t learned to read between the lines as well as you.

You sure are angry.

[quote]Foretaussi wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
Foretaussi wrote:
I’m still young, and if I wanted to go to the gym all week besides going to school, I would stay at home, rather than paying 20,000 dollars to workout somewhere else.

WTF is this shit?

How does 5-10 hours a week ruin France for you?

You have to be trolling.

My advice: stop being a lazy piece of shit looking for a bunch of e-people to validate your lack of desire. It is okay, self improvement is not for everyone. Just don’t come here, and expect people to coddle you and lick your nuts for you when you can’t be bothered to not be a jackass.

Your first post basically said “I found the perfect excuse to stop lifting because I don’t really want to, help me justify it guys. I don’t want to feel too guilty.” Dude if you don’t want to lift, don’t. You don’t need an elaborate plan and internet forums. Just stay the fuck on the couch.

Your grasp of the English language is mystifying and your creative interpretation of my words is really entertaining. Even now that I’m in college I haven’t learned to read between the lines as well as you.

You sure are angry.[/quote]

Well, I’m sorry I was sarcastic and called you angry.

[quote]Foretaussi wrote:

You sure are angry.[/quote]

I’m not angry, I just play one on the internet.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Foretaussi wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Dude, do 5/3/1 set up for training 3 days a week, set your percentages low, and then don’t worry about it. You’re going to fucking France! Eat shit tons of delicious food, train hard for about an hour 3x a week, and chase French chicks!

The beautiful thing about 5/3/1 is it’s versatility. The same program can be used for fat loss, “training to maintain” (which is what it sounds like you are interested in), or mass and strength gain. Check out the e-book, Jim has some very good abbreviated training templates in there.

It’s pretty convenient then that the newest article is about 5/3/1 :slight_smile:

Now, since the article didn’t explain how to do the four lifts in a 3 times a week format, how would you split it up?

You could either only do three of the lifts, or you could spread the four workouts out like this

Mon 1- Bench 3x5
Wed 1- Squat 3x5
Fri 1- OHP 3x5
Mon 2- Dead 3x5
Wed 2- Bench 3x3
Fri 2- Squat 3x3
Mon 3- OHP 3x3
Wed 3- Dead 3x3
Fri 3- Bench 5/3/1
Mon 4- Squat 5/3/1
Wed 4- OHP 5/3/1
Fri 4- Dead 5/3/1

And then you would take your deload week after that if you wanted/needed to.[/quote]

Would I still use the same assistance exercises that Wendler suggests?

For a deload week, is it okay if I just take a rest week, cause I think with the school schedule, we have a week off after the first 4 weeks, and I was thinking I would visit family in Eastern Europe, and that would be a perfect rest week.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
Oh I don’t know… because you’ve got a once in a lifetime chance to explore a foreign country without paying out the ass for it?

Fuck the gym. Go enjoy your trip, get drunk, bang French chicks, and see some incredible history.

If you’re lifting more than two times a week while all that shit is around you, you are a horse’s ass. Experience life.

dude he said there was a gym at the university he was staying at. yes if he’s away for four days i’m not suggesting he take time out of his day to do dips on a fence post. but if he’s AT the damn school he should be able to lift.[/quote]

I understand that, and I agree that maintaining shouldn’t be difficult. I’m not saying I wouldn’t work out while there.

But I wouldn’t be putting a lot of time into it when you could be doing a million other things while in that country. That’s a once in a lifetime oppurtunity to explore Europe…

Mr.Purple wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:
i’m going to agree with counting beans. what’s wrong with spending 40-60min a day hitting the weights 5x a week?

…or do a 2-way, mon-wed-fri, which would take maybe a little over an hour each session.

That’s what I would shoot for. [/quote]

Ignoring the fact that I sound dumb, what is a 2-way?

[quote]Foretaussi wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Foretaussi wrote:
Stronghold wrote:

Now, since the article didn’t explain how to do the four lifts in a 3 times a week format, how would you split it up?

Mon 1- Bench 3x5
Wed 1- Squat 3x5
Fri 1- OHP 3x5
Mon 2- Dead 3x5
Wed 2- Bench 3x3
Fri 2- Squat 3x3
Mon 3- OHP 3x3
Wed 3- Dead 3x3
Fri 3- Bench 5/3/1
Mon 4- Squat 5/3/1
Wed 4- OHP 5/3/1
Fri 4- Dead 5/3/1

And then you would take your deload week after that if you wanted/needed to.

Would I still use the same assistance exercises that Wendler suggests?

For a deload week, is it okay if I just take a rest week, cause I think with the school schedule, we have a week off after the first 4 weeks, and I was thinking I would visit family in Eastern Europe, and that would be a perfect rest week.[/quote]

Perfectly acceptable.

Just for all your information.

Paris is an absolute sh*thole by the way, been there twice.

Turning into Ghettoland over there, you won’t see much of Paris as lot’s of it is off limits.

Also add to that i detest French people in general, they still have their ego complex from Napolean era, conviently forgetting they have lost / ran away from every war since.

Damn Frenchies.

[quote]Foretaussi wrote:

Ignoring the fact that I sound dumb, what is a 2-way?[/quote]

honestly it’s better if you’re surprised with it.

just make sure she wears a condom

[quote]SmallToBig wrote:

Turning into Ghettoland over there, you won’t see much of Paris as lot’s of it is off limits.

Also add to that i detest French people in general, they still have their ego complex from Napolean era, conviently forgetting they have lost / ran away from every war since.

Damn Frenchies.[/quote]

Woo hoo, 2009 representing…

Foretaussi wrote:

just make sure she wears a condom[/quote]

LOL

Foretaussi wrote:

Hahahaha :slight_smile:

Seriously though, a 2-way is just that. A 2-way split, or an AB split if you prefer. 2 workouts rotated over 3 days a week (for example). A B A one week, B A B the next.

Foretaussi wrote:

I really, really, really hope I didn’t just walk into that one.

[quote]Mr.Purple wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:
Foretaussi wrote:

just make sure she wears a condom

Hahahaha :slight_smile:

Seriously though, a 2-way is just that. A 2-way split, or an AB split if you prefer. 2 workouts rotated over 3 days a week (for example). A B A one week, B A B the next.[/quote]

What do you think a good split is? Legs one day, push/pull the other?

SmallToBig wrote:

Damn Frenchies.

Woo hoo, 2009 representing… [/quote]

Have you even been to France… if not i don’t see why you would doubt what i say.

And i fail to see what year is to the left hand side makes any difference…

[quote]SmallToBig wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
SmallToBig wrote:

Damn Frenchies.

Woo hoo, 2009 representing…

Have you even been to France… if not i don’t see why you would doubt what i say.

And i fail to see what year is to the left hand side makes any difference…[/quote]

No offense to you personally, but the 2009ers have built themselves quite a reputation around here.