Training Program for Post-Knee Surgery

I will be having a small knee surgery to remove screws in my knee in a few weeks that will not allow me to do any lower body work for 4-6 weeks. I have been currently on a three day split that focusses on the squat, bench press, and deadlift. Since I will be pretty much limited to upper body exercises, I was wondering if you guys had any idea of a template/program that would be conducive to this. Thank you for your help.

Evan

You should make an appt with a physical therapist so that you can safely progress in lower body movements.

The rule of thumb is when screws are removed, treat the bone as if it were broken. Four to six weeks no to little loading until or unless you get the green light from your surgeon.

you can also try this post surgery squat program that defranco used for one of his athletes after an acl tear

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/squatrehabprogram.htm

Thank you, that looks like a solid, comprehensive, but pretty simple program.

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:
Thank you, that looks like a solid, comprehensive, but pretty simple program. [/quote]

Simple b/c it is rehab.

I have found many aggressive athletes look at the start of a rehab program to be too easy before they try it. It is rehab after all, and when done correctly they find it challenging.

It will progress.

Try some single leg training for a while. If your worried about losing mass, I’ve read that training the uninjured limb slows the loss of mass in the injured one. Plus it’s better that completely ignoring the lower body for 6 weeks.