Training Program for Military Service?

Hey all,

I’m currently a freshman in college and I’ve recently decided to pursue a career in the Army and will be enrolling in ROTC after my sophomore year is over. I’ve always been an athlete throughout high school (football, basketball, track) and still work out 4-5 days a week.

Currently I’m 6’1" 175 lbs.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good military-based workout routine to prepare for my life in the service? I know to include many variations of pushups, situps, running, etc. But is there any popular training routines that incorporate these in a refreshing way?

Thanks

Get Stronger
Don’t know if you’ll be going through boot camp when you enlist or join, because that will be more endurance based training from what I know, but getting stronger can only help you in the long run

Also I’m sure if you look around there is stuff like Sealfit and the likes that could help you

I’m Air Force, but I spent time on an Army base so I saw what they do. PT is at 0400, consisting of push ups and variations, sit ups and variations, and a 2 to 5 mile run. That’s enlisted. As a ROTC cadet, and an officer you’ll be expected to do more. I would say as a starting point you need to be able to do around 50-60 nonstop pushups, 55+ situps, and run 2 miles in around 15 to 16 minutes.

Maybe this article will help you Building the Supersoldier

as a current officer in the army i can tell you -

max the apft
have a 12mi ruck under 2h 40min
don’t be afraid to lift weights

www.militaryathlete.com is a good place to start as well

use this time in college to lift weights and get stronger. once you are in you will constantly be going to different schools and training and it may be hard to maintain a decent schedual

[quote]Ddeadly001 wrote:
I’m Air Force, but I spent time on an Army base so I saw what they do. PT is at 0400, consisting of push ups and variations, sit ups and variations, and a 2 to 5 mile run. That’s enlisted. As a ROTC cadet, and an officer you’ll be expected to do more. I would say as a starting point you need to be able to do around 50-60 nonstop pushups, 55+ situps, and run 2 miles in around 15 to 16 minutes.[/quote]

Good advice here. I was Air Force also (captain).

The physical requirements are not that tough.

What’s tough is trying to be a bodybuilder with a very unpredictable schedule and periods when you know you will be tested for pt (which means you may want to avoid bulking up curing those times).

I am a trainer for active duty in the military, if you go have access to PRT information look all that stuff up and just make sure you meet all those standards. Honestly anyone with slightly above average fitness can meet the standards on all those tests. After that evaluate your personal goals and make a training and nutrition program based on those. As long as you can pass the PRT’s it does not matter how you train.

Something I see is someone just focus on the PRT’s, they are great exercises but for someone trying to look like a bodybuilder or be strong as f*** they alone will not help you meet your goals. Good training, hope this helps.