T Nation

Training Plan Is Making Me FAT!

Hello, I apologize because i'm a horrible writer, but I'll give it a go anyway. I'm writing this because I'v been following Dr Ellington Darden's book - Bigger Muscles in 42 Days and I'v never been this fat before - lol. I actually love the workout, very intense and gives me a nice pump. I believe I can make gains if I can keep increasing the weight 5% every month, but everyone is telling me i'm eating to much.

Its really frustrating to because I have allot of time to train, I have excellent control of my diet and I'v worked really hard to get to 187. Should I eat less? Should I add in cardio every morning? I was thinking about adding in the kempo karate from p90x every morning. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

AbOUT ME:
I'm 29 I weight 187 right now...last year around this time I was around 135-140
I'v always been skinny and i'm a hard gainer.
I'm a strict vegetarian, although I do eat 3 eggs a day.
I eat the same exact thing every single day.
I work at home on the computer and I get very little cardio...so basically I lay around all day with my feet up.
I get allot of sleep
I work out about 6 days a week ...Although sometimes I miss a day
I did p90x before following Dardens plan
girls are beginning to tease my new bloated stomach, poking me and shit to see how big it is. I went on a date the other day and the girls was like "isn't that supposed to be up there".

WHAT I EAT:

8:00
1 slice whole wheat bread
slice of tempeh
1 slice cheese
1 slice tomato
1 cup milk
1 1/2 carrots

12:00
1 cup kindney bean tempeh chili
1 cup rice
1/2 broccoli
1/4 cottage cheese
lemon water

3:00
pre-workout meal - 11/2 hours before workout
homemade protein bars
1/4 yogurt
quarter apple
half banana
1/4 raisins
1 cup orange juice

5:00
workout
walmart bodyfortress whey in water...I sip this while I workout and drink the rest after

7:30

3 eggs
1/4 cooked spinach
1 cup whole wheat noodles
1/4 cup cheese
1/4 cup cottage cheese
few chips
glass of cranberry juice mixed with water

If you are gaining too much fat, I am pretty sure you know what to do

You're seriously wondering why you're getting fat with that diet?

It's like coming in here and wondering why you're starting to lose lung capacity while smoking 5 packs/day. Read any of the diet articles on this site from Shelby Starnes or John Berardi to give you a few names to get started.

There is nothing to modify. You need to completely scrap it and start all over. Back to the drawing board. You don't need to add anything to your training or eat less...you need to eat COMPLETELY different foods...and drop the vegetarian act if possible.

review your food, they are all wrong.

Care to elaborate on that Kaisermetal ...how are they wrong, what should I eat?

Its not an option to eat meat!

Fish then. Or if not fish because of whatever more whey, you need ALOT more protein. Plus in regard to meat, the animals have already been killed for consumption, so not eating them is probably more damaging to the environment/cruel/whatever your personal justification for not eating meat is as it's going to waste.

Just sayin'

With the amount of fruit juice , fruit, and dairy you are eating it is no wonder you are getting bloated. Shit.

First things first, completely ditch the fruit juice. Second, switch from fruits and pastas to potatos and rice. Keep low sugar fruits in there for the health benefits since you arent eating meat, but raisens? 1/4 cup of raisens is LOADED with friggin sugar!! Jeez. And fructose is metabolized differently from the starches in potatos and rice. You aren't eating enough protein. And you are eating a TON of soy.

Soy protein, dairy (with the exception of eggs, and maybe some cheeses), wheat gluten, and friggin fructose are ALL of them associated with abdominal bloating. You're eating a diet designed to bloat you up. I dont know where you are from, but there is a reaspn the vast majority of people in the subcontinent who can afford to eat regularly are bloated and/or fat in the midsection.

Drop the pasta, drop raisens, drop fruit juice, add more eggs (omega 3 eggs are best), and look into non-soy protein sources acceptable to vegetarians.

You aren't a hardgainer if you're gaining fat. That means either your training or your diet sucks, but yo uhave the potential to gain weight.

If you want to be gaining muscle you need to be eating a minimum of 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight every day. I know that's hard on a vegetarian diet, but, it's a fact. Your body doesn't know that it has to be different in your case because you don't eat meat. I'd be surprised if that diet has half the protein you need.

x2 on what everyone else said about fruit juice and all the sugars you're eating.

Sub out that fruit juice for a 25g whey protein shake... have one with each meal. That's an extra 100g protein right there.

Don't start that argument you'll get nowhere haha.

But since you mentioned it, there are a lot of animals killed in the production of grains and fruits. Thought I might put that out there, haha.

using my logic powers then the least cruel thing/least wasteful would be becoming a full on carnivore? this is something i am ok with lol. also reminded me of this:

/hijack

I guess you better stop working out! Must be the problem

To sum up your problem:

Too many carbs, not enough protein.

I made the exact same mistake when I first bulked - too many carbs (especially after 5pm...when insulin response isn't so great). The effect for you will be even worse with the amount of fructose you consume.

Carbs do help you bulk, but there's no reason whatsoever to be consistently eating more than 2g/lbs in bodyweight (more does not = better). The only reason why people go over that is because they're filling a gap (making up calories), but even then it's rare for a bodybuilder to get above 50% of their calorie intake from carbs.

You need to either consume more whey, or drop that vegetarian nonsense, it's not health. Beside all the scientific research backing my claim, has it given you the body you want? Scientifically, has not eating meat achieved the desired results?

If the answer is no, change something.

how does my diet sound?

meal 1; 100g rolled oats with honey
2 slices of toast with peanut butter

meal 2; 4 eggs, 2 cups of milk and massgainer(15g protein, 80carbs, 300 cal)

meal 3; 1 chicken breast
1 cup of broc
1/2 avo
massgainer as above

meal 4; 2 peanut butter sandwiches
1 cup of milk
almonds
apple, orange

meal 5; steak
broc
pasta
massgainer

i get around 250g protein, 4000 cal, 700 carbs and 100g fat. I need 4000-5000 cal per day to keep above usage so i cant really afford to drop pasta.. so how does mine compare guys? Any suggestions on how i can cut carbs but maintain high cal intake? i would really appreciate it if you can help.

eat your carbs earlier on in the day except for pre/during/post workout.

Drop the peanut butter sandwiches. Eat normal nuts. I like to get mixed nuts or almonds. Most peanut butters I find are overpriced and kind of shitty.

You also need more veggies and a LOT MORE VARIETY in veggies.

I do this: Frozen broccoli, carrots, spinach, cauliflower. Cook them exactly the same way as I would spaghetti. Nice and easy. Olive oil, lemon and some salt

Salad with : tomatoes, cucumber(although its kind of useless but i like it), onions, red/green peppers. Olive oil and salt.

If you prepare a lot of the above you can have them last 3-4 days or even a week if you don't mind the taste. its not ideal but i think its better than only eating brocolli.

so are you saying that eating those foods will keep my cals around 3500-4000 when i drop the sandwiches? As you can see, i need to cut my carbs in half but im kind of stuck on food ideas that will allow this and keep cals.. i would appreciate some advice if possible.

dried nuts have a ton of calories. same with oils . Add 50 grams of fat and 50 grams of protein in your diet and reduce carbs a bit and you are fine.

Veggies have practically near zero calories .

And really don't overthink this. If you aren't gaining on this then simply eat a bit more. One more meal of pasta a day won't make you add 50 kgs of fat in a day...

Simply increase your dairy products, eggs and peanut butter (not sure if it's expensive where you are, but it's cheap here). Also, buy a cheap protein powder.

So have a moderate amount of carbs, but make up the rest from fats/protein.

I made some of my best gains from cream and whey shakes (yes, you heard that right - cream! lol).

Suppose you could say most of my training has been vegetarian (but plenty eggs/dairy), not because of moral issues, but simply circumstances; meat's expensive when you're on a really tight budget :slight_smile:

You still are taking in mostly carbs (probably somewhere over 60%). I'll give example meals based on what you've been eating (roughly 600-800 cals/meal):

Meal 1
-100g oats & honey
-300ml whole milk + 50g whey (get a PLAIN protein powder, bin that "mass gainer" crap...just full of sugar and making you fatter!)

Meal 2
-1/4 cottage cheese
-1 cup milk
-4 eggs

Meal 3
-1 chicken breast
-1 cup of broc
-1/2 avo
-milkshake (cup of milk with 1 banana)

You get the gist.

^ Those meal's macronutrient ratios are about 40%/30%/30% (Carbs/Protien/Fats)