Training Plan Help for Moderately Advanced Lifter

For almost a year, I’ve been doing a 6 week training cycle that’s brought be some pretty good numbers. Now I’m advancing, it’s pretty much spent (started failing my max days, as planned) Essentially, this is what is its…

6 week cycle.
Week 1 - Max triples
Week 2 - 5x3 @ 90%
Week 3 - Max doubles
Week 4 - 5x2 @ 90%
Week 5 - Max single
Week 6 - Max 5 RM (variation lift, deadlift on blocks, board press, box squat etc)

Each cycle I’d raise the squat/deadlift by 2.5kg (sometimes 5kg on the deadlift) and bench by 1.25kg.

The typical week would look like…

Day 1
ME Squat, bench. 5x8 Bench accessory exercise
Day 2
ME Deadlift, 50-100 glute ham raises. Abs till failure.
Day 3
8x3 @ 40-60% Squat + deadlift. 5x8 squat or deadlift accessory exercise
Day 4
8x3 @ 40-60* bench. 5x5 Bench accessory exercise. 5x8 Lats, 5x8 Triceps, 5x8 biceps.

All the accessory exercises are incremented by 2.5 each week until failure, and then changed.

I’m 100% raw (belt only) and would like some help advancing off this program! Otherwise, the only thing I can think of doing is changing the max exercises to variations (chains, bands etc) although I understand that’s more useful to equipped lifters.

Thanks

You mean 90% of your max triple/double right?

Yep! So I do the 90% of the max triple the next week. 90% of the max double the week after etc. Any thoughts? Thanks!

You could try not maxing out all the time and doing a bit more volume instead.

2 Likes

interessting program. did you customize it for yourself or is this an existing template?

How old are you?

How are your joints and back feeling?

That’s a pretty cool template

Since you’ve implemented the max effort method,you’ll probably like conjugate.If so take a look at this

@whitetennissock

It’s a template that I’ve used for ages, by design it allows fine tuning depending on your needs, i,e changing the assistance lifts if you’re weak in one place and know it. The point is it trains all three lifts twice a week.

@Zack_Morris

I’m 30. Never had issues with joints or back doing this. I’ve used it for years in various forms. It’s designed to facilitate proper recovery. However it assumes you can lift the big three properly. If you can’t you’ll get hurt on any program.

@stronkfak

WS is pretty old school at this stage, and more and more people I talk to who are in the know feel it’s more beneficial to equipped lifters and ‘users’. Although bands/chains and variations are fun and the ideas are solid. I’m looking more towards this : A 6-Week Squat, Bench, or Deadlift Program

Who has told you of this 6 week cycle that you do/ did ? Where is this knowledge from ?

As a non assisted lifter when I turned 30 it got harder to recover from max effort so frequently. You’re right about good form and injuries.

Actually the thread I posted was written by someone who pulled 804 lbs raw using conjugate

I think your best bet is to pick a system(conjugate,531,cube ect) rather than a written out plan.That way you won’t have to look another program in a 2-4 months

As for conjugate,many raw lifters have implimented its principales successfully.No need to worry about it not being for raw lifters.If you just don’t like it though for whatever reason,then yeah look for something else

Allow me to add to my argument that conjugate can work for raw lifters that one of the strongest people on the forum,Alpha,uses conjugate

Too much maxing. Time to put in some actual work instead of always testing.

I train with Tyler Butcher who back in Dec of 16 totaled 2627 SHW single ply in USPF in WV (walk out 1040 squat). He does nothing fancy. He works hard. Works on his weaknesses. Works 5’s 3’s and singles. Uses blocks to pull from every once in a while. Uses slingshot on the majority of his bench days. Straps downs on majority of squats.

It’s all about the work.

1 Like

Try to get to a heavy single or a heavy 3-5 rep weight and then drop down and do higher reps at a weight you feel comfortable burning out at. Then raise the reps for accessory lifts. Think 10-12.

Working those low rep ranges gets your body to recruit more muscle Durring the initial portion of your lift. But continued growth will require you to add glycogen stores and build capillaries witch happens at higher reps.
Strategically gaining volume also helps you to have a base to press off. for instance My triceps and lats are big enough that flexing them off eachother at the bottom greatly reduces the load on the bottom half of my bench. (Best bench 410 @158)

So yesterday was bench day for me:

(Warm up)

(Working sets)
315*6

Burnout
225* max reps

Then I do 3-4 sets of 10 on
Superset 50lb incline DB fly and tricept DB press
20lb rear delt fly
30lb side lateral/trap angles
60lb front raise (with bar)

Cable fly’s
Facepulls (3*60)
Crazy 8’s

And then I worked abs
AB rollouts
Oblique AB machine

Idk if that helps but that’s my opinion

I’m just throwing this in there into the mix simply because it hasn’t been mentioned.

DUP as explained by Mike Zourdos.

I haven’t done it, but with just that name and acronym, you can find a wealth of information. If you managed to plan what you have there, I have no doubt that you’ll be able to figure something out with this one. There’s even a thread somewhere on the PL forum here devoted to it.

This is a relatively high frequency (3-4) days a week doing each comp lift each day.