T Nation

Training Parameters for Overhead Squats

Sets/reps/loads for this exercise?

I’m doing this to aid my big lifts especially my OHP.

start light. Real light. That posterior chain is weaker than you think. I started at 95 and moved up from there. Ass to the floor. No questions. Do them explosively and not too many…not like you’ll even have the option

[quote]CutestPuppy wrote:
start light. Real light. That posterior chain is weaker than you think. I started at 95 and moved up from there. Ass to the floor. No questions. Do them explosively and not too many…not like you’ll even have the option[/quote]

Why explosively? It is a stabilization exercise.

Because you’re not doing it right if you don’t do it with force.

That said, I think you should take a while with a broom stick and eventually heavier implements to figure out the proper body position for yourself and everything. Even the 45lb bar might be too much for most people.

The problem with the overhead squat is that everyone wants to jump in and do it. And there’s a lot of coaches/trainers who want to recommend it. But most people don’t have the mobility to do it and even more don’t NEED to do it.

so imo

Get the mobility to perform it
learn your body’s positioning for the movement.
Warmup…WELL… Start adding weight. Progressively.

It’s not exactly an exercise you work for singles but sets of 3-4 work great for me adding strength on it. Then at the end of that lighten it up and go for 12-20 reps for 2 sets or so actually have had a therapeutic effect on my shoulders, knees, and hips.

I think it was on crossfit that I was reading guys like to do it for 3x8, kind of an assistance exercise of sorts.

Something I’ve done lately (ie this past 2 weeks lol) that has been fun is doing a power snatch and then 2 overhead squats.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Because you’re not doing it right if you don’t do it with force.
[/quote]

Why? There’s a point to trying to be fast with front squats or back squats - but the overhead squat? The point to the lift is to help recovering out of a snatch. You DO NOT want to recover explosively out of a snatch. The whole idea is to be stabilized. No one misses a snatch because they don’t have the speed/strength to stand up with it. They miss it because its out of position.