T Nation

Training only upper body movements

So, 3 weeks ago I injured my back due to a long time of deadlifting with around back (my assumption, didn’t see a doctor yet). So for now I won’t squat or deadlift heavy, I plan on just doing very light work (225s or something) until My lower back heals. So I want to focus on my BP and OHP, and of course I’ll do a bit of back stuff.

Is there any program you would recommend for me? Main goal - a stronger bench and a stronger press.
Also for legs, I plan on using this time to improve my sprinting, do you think I should do stuff like leg press etc to try and maintain leg strength and size?
Any helpful tips are welcome :slight_smile:

If it matters my PRs are:
SQ-474
DL-485
BP-254
OHP-160
I did those @ 180 and I’m 19 years old
Now I weigh 165-170 and my numbers are a little lower

Leg presses can be hard on your lower back, if that is what you injured. If you have a belt, it could be helpful for training through recovery.

Your squat is almost higher than your deadlift! That’s quite amazing. Is that to good depth?

As for your question, you could run any program you want, just take out the squats and deadlifts. Do them easy/light, and do benchpress and OHP as written in the program.

[quote]pcdude wrote:
Leg presses can be hard on your lower back, if that is what you injured. If you have a belt, it could be helpful for training through recovery.[/quote]
Alright, I think that’s what I’ll do for legs, some leg presses with different emphasizes for quads, hams etc.
Do you have any suggestions for my other training?

[quote]ahnz wrote:
Your squat is almost higher than your deadlift! That’s quite amazing. Is that to good depth?

As for your question, you could run any program you want, just take out the squats and deadlifts. Do them easy/light, and do benchpress and OHP as written in the program.[/quote]
Yup, I set the WR for 100% RAW for my age and BW. And thanks :slight_smile: If you wanna see just search my name (yaniv goft) in youtube and you’ll find it
As for the program I think because I don’t do heavy squats and deadlifts I can now put more attention on my Pressing. For example there is Somolov to put an emphasis on squats. So I think I’ll want to do something like that for my Bench Press and OHP since I’m forced to neglect my squats and deadlifts.

[quote]yanivgoft wrote:

[quote]pcdude wrote:
Leg presses can be hard on your lower back, if that is what you injured. If you have a belt, it could be helpful for training through recovery.[/quote]
Alright, I think that’s what I’ll do for legs, some leg presses with different emphasizes for quads, hams etc.
Do you have any suggestions for my other training?[/quote]
Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear. I wasn’t suggesting you do leg presses with a belt. Leg presses can put strain on your lower back, and are probably the last thing you would want to do right now. I was suggesting you use a belt while rehabbing your back for squats and deadlifts. Whenever I tweaked my back, easing into the lifts while wearing the belt worked for me.

You could use this down time to get really really good at pullups. Honestly there isn’t much else you can do to train your upper back if you have a spinal injury. Furthermore, if you really chase OHP and BP PRs, your back could still take some damage

Nice squats.

[quote]pcdude wrote:

[quote]yanivgoft wrote:

[quote]pcdude wrote:
Leg presses can be hard on your lower back, if that is what you injured. If you have a belt, it could be helpful for training through recovery.[/quote]
Alright, I think that’s what I’ll do for legs, some leg presses with different emphasizes for quads, hams etc.
Do you have any suggestions for my other training?[/quote]
Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear. I wasn’t suggesting you do leg presses with a belt. Leg presses can put strain on your lower back, and are probably the last thing you would want to do right now. I was suggesting you use a belt while rehabbing your back for squats and deadlifts. Whenever I tweaked my back, easing into the lifts while wearing the belt worked for me.[/quote]
Oh you mean the belt would be helpful for recovery, my bad. I guess I’ll just give it a shot and see how my back deals with it.

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:
You could use this down time to get really really good at pullups. Honestly there isn’t much else you can do to train your upper back if you have a spinal injury. Furthermore, if you really chase OHP and BP PRs, your back could still take some damage[/quote]
That was my intention for doing upper back stuff. I was thinking of doing the 50pullups program until I can do about 25 pullups and then (if I’m still injured) start doing weighted pullups for 5s.

And about the BP and OHP PRs, my back hurts when I’m flexing it (pretty sure thats the word… Like when I’m leaning to tie my shoes) and not when hyperextending. So I don’t feel it at all during bP and I’m being cautious with my OHP - when I’m wearing a belt I don’t feel my back at all.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Nice squats.[/quote]
Thanks

Really good squats! I’m impressed. Crazy strong for 19 years and just 180 pounds bw!

For legs, do single leg presses, ham curls and extensions. It’s impossible to round your back on the leg press when you have one foot on the floor.

[quote]ahnz wrote:
Really good squats! I’m impressed. Crazy strong for 19 years and just 180 pounds bw![/quote]
Thanks, but this thread isn’t about showing off my awesome squats, but to ask for help so I’d be happy if people here would get back to the point

[quote]yanivgoft wrote:

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:
You could use this down time to get really really good at pullups. Honestly there isn’t much else you can do to train your upper back if you have a spinal injury. Furthermore, if you really chase OHP and BP PRs, your back could still take some damage[/quote]
That was my intention for doing upper back stuff. I was thinking of doing the 50pullups program until I can do about 25 pullups and then (if I’m still injured) start doing weighted pullups for 5s.

And about the BP and OHP PRs, my back hurts when I’m flexing it (pretty sure thats the word… Like when I’m leaning to tie my shoes) and not when hyperextending. So I don’t feel it at all during bP and I’m being cautious with my OHP - when I’m wearing a belt I don’t feel my back at all.[/quote]

ok, so i assume you’ll be doing pullups in 2-4 sessions per week. you’ll want to use a neutral grip. If you do that many pullups that often with any other grip, your elbows will get really beat up and may even get bad tendonitis depending on how long you have to keep this up.

25 pullups is a pretty lofty goal and i think you might get more benefit from switching to weighted pullups sooner, like when you can get 15 pullups for multiple sets

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:
ok, so i assume you’ll be doing pullups in 2-4 sessions per week. you’ll want to use a neutral grip. If you do that many pullups that often with any other grip, your elbows will get really beat up and may even get bad tendonitis depending on how long you have to keep this up.
[/quote]

I do a lot more than that in my sessions and don’t use a neutral grip. Been doing it for a few years with no issues. How long does it take for the trainee to get beat up elbows/bad tendonitis if they aren’t using a neutral grip?

I subbed because I am suffering a small low back injury and am losing my mind skipping even one deadlift workout.

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:

[quote]yanivgoft wrote:

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:
You could use this down time to get really really good at pullups. Honestly there isn’t much else you can do to train your upper back if you have a spinal injury. Furthermore, if you really chase OHP and BP PRs, your back could still take some damage[/quote]
That was my intention for doing upper back stuff. I was thinking of doing the 50pullups program until I can do about 25 pullups and then (if I’m still injured) start doing weighted pullups for 5s.

And about the BP and OHP PRs, my back hurts when I’m flexing it (pretty sure thats the word… Like when I’m leaning to tie my shoes) and not when hyperextending. So I don’t feel it at all during bP and I’m being cautious with my OHP - when I’m wearing a belt I don’t feel my back at all.[/quote]

ok, so i assume you’ll be doing pullups in 2-4 sessions per week. you’ll want to use a neutral grip. If you do that many pullups that often with any other grip, your elbows will get really beat up and may even get bad tendonitis depending on how long you have to keep this up.

25 pullups is a pretty lofty goal and i think you might get more benefit from switching to weighted pullups sooner, like when you can get 15 pullups for multiple sets
[/quote]
In order to get 25 chins Ill have to do multiple sets of 15 so thats basically the same goal

Personally for me when I had an extended period (18 months+) of lumbar disc problems I utilised trap bar deads and front squats to ensure my back wasn’t getting beat up, I got some blood into it and my abs/core got stronger.

I did take a few months off of lower body training entirely and that just exacerbated the problem.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:
ok, so i assume you’ll be doing pullups in 2-4 sessions per week. you’ll want to use a neutral grip. If you do that many pullups that often with any other grip, your elbows will get really beat up and may even get bad tendonitis depending on how long you have to keep this up.
[/quote]

I do a lot more than that in my sessions and don’t use a neutral grip. Been doing it for a few years with no issues. How long does it take for the trainee to get beat up elbows/bad tendonitis if they aren’t using a neutral grip?[/quote]

I did high frequency (5x/week) chinups both pronated and supinated and started getting severe elbow pain after about 3 months. I looked up articles on high frequency pullups and most of them recommended using neutral grip to prevent elbow pain, and this fixed my problem. I realize it doesn’t generalize to all trainees but the impression i got from all the articles was elbow pain was fairly prevalent with high frequency supinated or pronated pullups

are there any specific parameters you have for pulling, i.e. a specific grip width, ROM, tempo etc.?