Training on Rest Week?

in two weeks i will be on my rest week, does anyone have a good routine for that week which will enable me to lift but not really train the muscles. also, if anyone has any information for a good ab workout routine?? Thanks

Is this like a deload week or something? I’ve never rested for an entire week unless it was due to injury, illness or personal reasons.

What I would suggest, though, is, at a minimum, stretch if you do not do it already. Look into “Limber 11,” use a foam roller/lacrosse ball, do some static stretching in the morning and/or before bed, etc. I bought a cheap yoga mat off of Amazon for the last reason.

If you want to train your muscles, but at a sub standard capacity, just do lighter weights and higher repetitions, regardless of the exercise. For example, say your bench press workout is usually 4 sets of 10 reps at 150 lb, drop it down to maybe 120 lb and do 4 sets of 15-20 reps.

And a good ab routine, although I may get chastised for saying this, is “8 Minute Abs.” It’s a video from like the 90’s that was a big hit. You can tell it’s dated due to their attire, the quality, the environment, etc. But whatever, what matters is contained within the workout. It’s 8 straight minutes of abdominal exercises and doesn’t include sit-ups. It’s free on YouTube, so this is why I push people this way.

If you want something else, something I do with clients is supersetting Crunches, Reverse Crunches and Planks. Do 10 Crunches, 10 Reverse Crunches, and 10-15 seconds of Plank, all in rapid succession, but with good form and good timing of repetitions. Rest 30-60 seconds and repeat 3-4 more times.

I may have another option which will blow that right out of the water! 7… minute… abs!

2 Likes

What about 6 though?

1 Like

In just 30 days of doing 0 minute abs, I lost 16 pounds of belly fat!

2 Likes

I’m not presuming to give advice- listening to me is generally a bad idea- but I find yoga really helps with rest days and weeks off. There are even strength moves like bakasana (crow pose). It’s fun to do something different on weeks off.

What’ve you done to earn a rest week?

Stick with your regular training using the same weights as the week prior, but drop two reps from every set and drop one set from every exercise.

Couple dozen plans to choose from here.

Step into my office.

I can do 3 minute abs- hold an L-sit for a total of 3 minutes