Training On Days Off?

Hi!

For those of you that do direct ab work, do you think that doing it 2-3 times a week (most likely 2x) on days off would affect my main training routine (full body, squat 3x a week) on Monday, Wed and Friday?

The idea was to do direct calf work, direct ab work, overhead press with a light weight and glute activation exercises with barbell hip thrusts with a light weight (the latter two to improve with posture). I don’t know if this is too much though.

It may take some days to get used to, but should not bother. Actually - throw some light conditioning in too and it only helps.

Just don’t overdo it. Point is to recover.

Thanks for the reply. There is no chance I am doing cardio where I live, light or not. It is hotter than the sun and the humidity is, without exaggeration, 1,000,000%

[quote=“LeMaqSportif, post:1, topic:227365”]
The idea was to do direct calf work, direct ab work, overhead press with a light weight and glute activation exercises with barbell hip thrusts with a light weight (the latter two to improve with posture). I don’t know if this is too much though.[/quote]
Why? What’s your current training goal and what’s the goal of that specific work on “off” days?

I know you said posture, but I’m not sure how light overhead presses help posture. Chins, sure. Presses? Not so sure. Also, barbell hip thrust aren’t really a glute training exercise, not really an activation exercise. For glute activation, I’d go with side lying clams, unweighted glute bridges, and/or bird dogs.

Where’d the cardio topic come from? Plenty of ways to get cardio done indoors with little to no equipment, but that wasn’t mentioned in your first post.

1 Like

The cardio bit was a reply to Rattus!

Overhead shrugs I meant, sorry. I wrote the original post very late here. I don’t live in a developed country, in fact it is one of the poorest in the world, so the facilities available to me, indoor or outdoor, are extremely limited.

Basically, if I tighten my glutes and stomach (not even sucking in) in the mirror my posture improves dramatically. If I work on these then my lifts will inevitably improve and I will also look better. Overhead shrugs help pull the scapulae together too which is good for shoulder health and good for posture too.

I do abs and calves on my “off” days (which are often LISS cardio days). I don’t see it hurting my lifts or recovery. I would like to throw them in at the end of the days of my lifting days but I get to the gym right when it opens in the morning and only have a set time before I have to be out for school.