Training Myths List

[quote]Professor X wrote:
But…how do I train my “inner pecs”?[/quote]

heavy barbell bench press on a swissball, duh

Another myth:

Muscles “remember” the last exercise performed and will adapt to that one. So you shouldn’t end your workouts with high rep sets… Riiight.

Myth: A newbie training with weights a few times (even once) will become “big” overnight.

As in: “I don’t train with weights 'cause I don’t want to get too big.”

Ask Milos.

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
Pullovers after squatting to expand the ribcage.[/quote]

Those are supposed to be breathing pullovers after doing breathing squats. If you are young and still have a pliable ribcage/sternum it will help expand the ribcage. IMHO it works. Asthmatic kids tend to have larger ribcages just from having to work harder at breathing or prolonged deap breathing.

I think you should worry more about training your left abs…

[quote]4est wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
Pullovers after squatting to expand the ribcage.

Those are supposed to be breathing pullovers after doing breathing squats. If you are young and still have a pliable ribcage/sternum it will help expand the ribcage. IMHO it works. Asthmatic kids tend to have larger ribcages just from having to work harder at breathing or prolonged deap breathing.
[/quote]
Yes, most of the times I stumbled across this recommendation, it was in conjunction with breathing squats.

Anyway, the issue was discussed here an the Chest Roundtable and it seemed to be the unanimous view among the participants that the benefits are minor if existent:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=545635

Personally, I wouldn’t put any effort into it, although I like to perform pullovers for other reasons occasionally.

When you stop training, the muscle gained will be converted to fat.[/quote]

The mother of em all!

4est wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
Pullovers after squatting to expand the ribcage.

Yes, most of the times I stumbled across this recommendation, it was in conjunction with breathing squats.

Anyway, the issue was discussed here an the Chest Roundtable and it seemed to be the unanimous view among the participants that the benefits are minor if existent:

Personally, I wouldn’t put any effort into it, although I like to perform pullovers for other reasons occasionally.[/quote]

There won’t be much stretching of your rib cage. I am surprised that myth is even still floating around. Then again, I guess that explains the guys who inhale and walk around with their arms out to their sides because they are so “huge”.

Personally, I wouldn’t put any effort into it, although I like to perform pullovers for other reasons occasionally.[/quote]

Ah, thanks for the link. I can see it being primarily for those under 18-20 years of age. Bone just doesn’t like to expand.

Size doesn’t matter

Then again, I guess that explains the guys who inhale and walk around with their arms out to their sides because they are so “huge”.[/quote]

I always thought they had razor blades under their armpits…

Nutrition isn’t important as long as you train hard.

Pullovers after squatting to expand the ribcage.[/quote]

I didn’t even know this was a myth. Who on Earth thought that you could increase the size of your skeletal structure?

1. Drinking more than 2 gallons of water a day will cause you to drown in your own blood.

2. 100 rep strip sets are needed every now and then to “shock” the muscle into growth.

3. Bodybuilding magazines never lie.

4. The more advanced a trainee gets the move overall volume he needs.

These’s probably hundreds more and several new ones concocted every day.

And my favorite. Can’t believe I almost forgot.

Pro Bodybuilders don’t work hard. Anyone could look like that with their drugs routines.

If it works for ronnie it works for me.

And I guess I’m gonna squat alot more so my arms can look like ronnies too.

The myth of unlimited human potential. If you train hard enough, your skill or strength potential is unlimited. Most kids who believe this have seen too many 70’s kung-fu movies.

I think the term we are looking for regarding the guys who walk a certain way because they are so “huge” is ILS - imaginary Lat syndrome. Seems that it’s a side effect of using too many Weider principles at once.

[quote]HvRv wrote:
I’m doing a list of training, supplement and diet myths and so far all I’ve got is this:

1. Preacher curls work the lower biceps
  2. Strength training will stunt the growth of children
  3. Lifting light weights for high reps will “shape and tone” your muscles
  4. Creatine will make you stronger
  5. Don’t use heavy weights because you’ll bulk up too much
  6. Certain exercises will “peak” your biceps
  7. Protein is bad for your kidneys
  8. Heavy weights and low reps won’t build muscle, just strength
  9. Squats are bad for your knees
  10. Muscles will make you slow

So I need more good stuff to put on my list. Enlighten me…[/quote]

Each of these, while not strictly “true” do have elements of truth worth considering.

Preacher curls do hit the arm flexors in such a way that preferentially builds the biceps (versus other arm flexors) especially when DONE in the lower 1/2 of the range. In other words, they do hit the lower lying arm flexors. Also, exercises that isolate the brachioradialis by slackening the biceps (like concentration curls) do give the arm flexors more overall height by building muscle under the bicep. If you take the work bicep out and replace it with arm flexors, statements 1 and 8 are true.

#4, Strength training can stunt the growth of children.

#5, Higher rep Peak contraction exercises do improve the appearance of muscle separation. I think the peak contraction point is more important than the high reps.

#6, Creatine may make you stronger-it depends on your definition of strength. It does affect strength endurance.

#7 Heavy squats do lead to more muscle in the obliques and abdominal area. A lot of bodybuilders move away from heavy squats because they want to limit size in the glutes and obliquies.

#9 Protein can be bad for your kidneys, even if you are healthy, if it is taken in large amounts. It is widelely variable between individuals.

#10 Heavy weights with low reps do preferentially build strength over size.

#11 Fred Hatfield even says squats are bad for your knees. Its not an absolute statement, but even properly preformed squats can be bad on the knees when done too much. If you squatted with Tom Platz form for 5 years you might have knee problems.

#12 Adding muscle may make you slower. It depends on where, how fast, and how much you add.