T Nation

Training My Grl

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Women melt for a commanding man.[/quote]
This made me smile.

And I’m a competitive powerlifter. You can see my beastly size.

[/quote]

melt for me, I command you!

yeah it took a while but I eventually convinced her that lifting weights won’t turn her into some weird she-hulk with veiny arms and a 5 o clock shadow

I wish I could get my wife to lift. I mean, she’s got 0 upper body strength. But then maybe 5 and 1/2 months pregnant isn’t the time to introduce it. Least she’s walking/jogging with me.

[quote]paulwhite959 wrote:
I wish I could get my wife to lift. I mean, she’s got 0 upper body strength. But then maybe 5 and 1/2 months pregnant isn’t the time to introduce it. Least she’s walking/jogging with me. [/quote]
Mine’s about to pop any second. Pregnancy was the only reason she stopped lifting. Can’t wait to get her back in the gym, but it’ll be at least another six months.

My oldest (they’re 4, 2, and t-minus-any-day-now), has already been bitten by the iron bug. She nagged me for months, and finally got her very own pair of 3-lb DB’s that she keeps under her bed. Says she can’t wait to lift with me in the basement. Thinking of building a small power rack for when the kids get big enough to really lift, but I dunno.

One guy I knew as a young kid in colorado, actually built his kid very light stuff–like he’d get a dowel and attach small bike wheels to it so his daughter could deadlift and press with it, and had wooden dowels with washers glued on it for other stuff.

I have no clue what it weighed–maybe 5-10 lbs? but the kid was so damn cute, like 5-6 years old and deadlifting it. I’m sure it wasn’t enough to really strain the muscles but still…adorable.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
I got my wife to do Starting Strength for a little while and she loved it. Women like to lift heavy, it’s just a matter of getting them to understand that they won’t look like Vera DeMilo overnight.

I showed her some pics and vids of Pauline Nordin and told her “that’s the biggest you’ll possibly get without any kind of chemical assistance, and look how much weight she’s moving”. Once she realized that she could move heavy weight without looking like an ox, she was all in.

BE HER COACH! That means making her do shit she doesn’t want to do. If she misses depth on a rep, make her do another. If she says she doesn’t want to do a lift 'cause it sucks, tell her “well that’s what we’re doing, princess, so suck it up”. If she flat-out refuses, then she doesn’t respect you and you’re fucking doomed anyway.

If she does respect you, and you flex some authority, there will be a reward for that later. Women melt for a commanding man.[/quote]

You have a point although women respond best to compliments and praise not challenge(unless your woman is very masculine), if you want her to do a lift she doesn’t like tell her she’s good at it and that you want to see her do better by doing x,y and z. She’ll probably respond better to that than telling her to suck it up and do it.

[quote]dreadlocks1221 wrote:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
I got my wife to do Starting Strength for a little while and she loved it. Women like to lift heavy, it’s just a matter of getting them to understand that they won’t look like Vera DeMilo overnight.

I showed her some pics and vids of Pauline Nordin and told her “that’s the biggest you’ll possibly get without any kind of chemical assistance, and look how much weight she’s moving”. Once she realized that she could move heavy weight without looking like an ox, she was all in.

BE HER COACH! That means making her do shit she doesn’t want to do. If she misses depth on a rep, make her do another. If she says she doesn’t want to do a lift 'cause it sucks, tell her “well that’s what we’re doing, princess, so suck it up”. If she flat-out refuses, then she doesn’t respect you and you’re fucking doomed anyway.

If she does respect you, and you flex some authority, there will be a reward for that later. Women melt for a commanding man.[/quote]

You have a point although women respond best to compliments and praise not challenge(unless your woman is very masculine), if you want her to do a lift she doesn’t like tell her she’s good at it and that you want to see her do better by doing x,y and z. She’ll probably respond better to that than telling her to suck it up and do it. [/quote]
Uh-huh. You have three options, not two. Compliment: “But, baby, you’re so good at them”, Challenge: “Bet you can’t do it”, or the third, most effective option “Do it because I said to do it”.

If that doesn’t work, either she’s too masculine or you’re not masculine enough.

My girl recently decided strongman training looked fun. So I have her doing 5x5 squat twice a week, planks, sled pulling, keg loading, continental axle c&j, and bench/ohp 5x5.

Chris Shugart wrote a good article a few years back about Proximity Bias: some people’s inability or refusal to take advice from those familiar to them. It’s certainly true for most members of my (obese) family :frowning:

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/proximity_bias_a_discussion