T Nation

Training my 14 yo son

My son is 14 and is a wrestler. What is the best way to introduce him to weight training? I thought about the BFL rotation…or three day a week splits…any info would be greatly appreciated…also, can I start him on creatine??? or is that too soon???

Thanks

My advice would be to walk him through a full body circuit, 3 days per week for about 2 months. Have him concentrate on form and really ingraine the basics into his head. He is young and untrained, and will make a lot of natural progress.

You can also have him jog one or two days per week; go with him as a bonding experience. This is not great for gaining mass, but he will need the aerobic endurance as a wrestler; also, should he choose later on to follow a body-builder type lifestyle, having a good "cardio ethic" will be invaluable to him.

Once he has learned the basics, you may want to look into something more specific for his sport. I would think that Renegade Training would be a good option.

As for the creatine, I am not an expert, but I doubt it would do him any harm. Along with a good protein powder, those are the only supplements I would even consider for him at this time. Food is really what he needs, and lots of it. It he's eating a lot of meat, he will be getting loads of creatine, anyway.

Good luck with your son, and hope this helps.

Maybe HST? Read the articles in here. I think it’s a good program for a teenager that’s trying to gain weight. It won’t have him training heavy all the time, has some time off incorporated on the cycles and doesn’t wear out your joints as much as common bodybuilding training, which in my opinion should be a concern to everyone but more even so to someone who starts early.

Whole body routine, start him light and add slowly. Watch his form like a hawk. If he is wrestling and close to weight, I’d avoid creatine. Basics. Avoid beach boy approach. In season? What is his goals? exercise that build a foundation that heavy lifting can gain on, or bodybuilding?

I agree with John Roman on this one. At 14, his natural growth processes will take care of things. One thing of importance, though, with an athlete that age, he should stay away from low reps and heavy weights for the simple reason of learning proper form. As things progress, there should be no reason at all to keep increasing the weight.

HST, don’t make him ‘jog’…that WON’T transfer into wrestling…make him run up a really really steep hill at full speed to get his heart at the ‘explode’ point (where it will be during a wrestling match). you can race him if you like. You can definitely start him on creatine and protein powders.

I may sound like a broken record, but when it comes to training for athletics, ask Coach Davies. My guess is that a basic work threshold is more of a focus than actual weight training, as are other basic skills, eye hand coordination, balance flexibilty( Dynamic and static) as well as mental developement.I think there are some basic skills that need to be developed before weights when athletics are concerned. As for weights I’m with the others, lower weight higher reps, but instaed of 3 sets of 15 I’d use that weight for 6-10 sets of 3-6 reps.( total reps are the same but they get more reps in a fresher state and more first rep attempts) on one main compound exercise then 2-4 sets of 12-15 reps of 2-3 supplemental exercises. Focus on form over weight always. If you look up westside barbell club click on the link to elite fitness systems then scroll to the bottom, there are a list of articles options under one of the last couple options there is an article by a father who is training an 11 or 13 year old girl and what he is doing, read it as well as some others on training the juniors. Sorry if this is confusing or if I bounced around too much. Peace, Tmofa

I would stick with mainly body weight excercises for a year or two, but that doesn’t mean you can’t punish him. He can jog for GPP, but for training he should sprint a 1/4 mile every other day. Work up to 100 rep push-ups, 20 rep pull-ups, 100 rep body weight squats. the only thing I would do with a barbell is clean-and presses. Low weight, work up to 50 rep sets. He can do some dumbbell curls to get the ‘chicks’. Once he has accomplished these goals, double everything. I think that would do him nicely, in a year he should be more than ready for weights. But that’s my opinion, which is like my asshole…wait, is that right or is it, everybody is an asshole in my opinion? aww fuck it…that’s my opinion.

I don’t know how but I missed you asking about creatine, but I did. Anyways, personally I’d wait on the creatine spend the money on food or protein powders. I’m guessing , but the strength and weight gained from creatine use probably don’t equal that from real muscle mass. I’d wait until he has maxed out his growth or is in a broader weight class. Just an opinion. Peace, Tmofa

Fourteen year old athletes should not follow a bodybuilding program of medium high reps, moderate/heavy weights and isolation exercises, such as BFL. Rather he should do low/medium intensity weights, low reps (3-7) on the final set, pyramid warmups and do general complex exercises such as squats, presses, deadlifts, etc. This is how an athlete trains, and the only difference with a fourteen year old is lower weights and intensity. Low reps are better because there is more chance of using good form before fatigue sets in.